Skinny Pointer Help

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Skinny Pointer Help

Postby Packfitter.com » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:17 am

I have a 4 year old Elhew English Pointer and he is looking skinnier than usual right now. He has all sorts of energy and drive but looks a little skinny to me. I have given him a dewormer recently in hopes that I can rid him of any worms he may have. I am not overly worried right now but wanted to see if any of you had any suggestions and or experiences related. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Packfitter
It's all about the Gear
http://www.packfitter.com
Packfitter.com
DHC Sponsor

Re: Skinny Pointer Help

Postby berudd » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:09 pm

Has his activity level increased lately such as hunting more? If so, maybe all he needs is more food to replace the calories he is burning.
berudd
hunter

Postby mcclinj » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:54 am

Post up a pic...and don't let other (non-bird doggers) influence your decision. I get told my GSP is too skinny about 3 times a week. You could give Annamaet Impact a try if your convinced though. I added another 1/2 cup of food about a month before hunting season. I tried adding another cup when the season started (We have been hunting grouse & pheasants about 3 times a week) in mid October....the dog stopped taking it all though so I backed her off. Duck season started here again in PA though so she'll be slightly less active.

-John
mcclinj
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:58 pm

You could get a lab and feed it the same amount.........
Serious, I have 2 DD's and both are thin. My bitch is real thin no matter how much I feed. She is wide open and moving all the time. Healthy and will hunt all day, everyday. I would not worry about it if your dog is acting healthy.

I have a lab. She gets 1/3 of the feed the DD's get and I need to watch her weight.
Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum