Do your dogs get cold/limber tail often?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Do your dogs get cold/limber tail often?

Postby MSparks909 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:20 am

Have a 3-4 year old yellow lab male. Rescued him from the shelter in May 12', so my best guess is he's 3-4. Excellent dog, a real pleasure to train and hunt with. Last year, he was the go-to dog and consequently had to hunt several times per week. I noticed he began to get cold tail roughly once a week during the brunt of the season. I did my best to give him time to rest and allow his tail to return to normal. Once it was, he was back in the blind again.

Hunted him for the first time this past Monday. Was a quick and easy Woodie hunt and he retrieved 8 birds. Yesterday morning I noticed he had cold tail yet again. I feel bad for the dog and I was wondering if it's normal for a dog to get cold tail this frequently? In this case after the first hunt (for him) of the season in a small swamp? I've read that cold tail can be a result of over-strenous exercise. My pooch is very healthy and I work him 3-4x a week and also take him on 1-2 three mile jogs per week if I have time.

So, do your dogs get cold/limber tail often? If so, what measures can you recommend to limit the frequency of this in the future? He has the rest of the week off and this weekend. Not going hunting when it's supposed to be 70 degrees on Saturday :fingerhead:
MSparks909
hunter

Re: Do your dogs get cold/limber tail often?

Postby Duckdon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:20 pm

I have 3 dogs and have never had the problem. Sorry, no help here. Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:36 pm

909, some dogs are more prone to cold tail, but a good preventative is to let the dog run and dry off before you kennel him for the ride home, it has worked for me and a couple of buddies with their dogs. Wayne
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby MarkM » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:31 pm

http://www.ducks.org/hunting/retriever- ... imber-tail

Page 2 has some things on it you may find useful.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Duckbusterkerr21 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:37 pm

I agree with force fetcher after each retrive let the dog shake off and get some what dry and put him back in the blind. My do got it bad this year so I took him to the vet and the gave him rimadyl which is a pain and inflammation medication that is very inexpensive and it speed up the recovery and put his pain at ease. It's pritty common with labs.
Duckbusterkerr21
hunter

Postby bakerloo » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:36 pm

Mine got it on an 84* day last month. We trained all day doing long water and land marks. So, I don't believe that temp plays any factor.
bakerloo
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:45 pm

Some dogs are more prone to it than others.
Know what you have, and adjust fire accordingly.
copterdoc
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum