Lab Pup whining help

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Lab Pup whining help

Postby WebfeetshooterNZ » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:40 pm

Hi,
I have a 8 week male black lab pup (had him for a week) he is quite bold and not to shy but whines when in his pen a bit,
he also grunts and whines when I am with him from time to time.
I work from home and spend as much time with him as I can, he is being crate trained (Going well) and comes from good proven hunting stock (as I have read whining can be genetic, so think this is not the issue)
I have been told to (gently) grab his snout and command "Quiet "when I catch him or ignore him till he stops for a while before he is let out of his pen or crate?
I am concerned that this issue will continue and pose a harder problem to fix when training for hunting or trialing later on?
(As I have seen with other peoples dogs when hunting with them)
Am I being overly concerned? or is there something else I can do to nip it in the bud?
Thanks in advance
WebfeetshooterNZ
Newb

Re: Lab Pup whining help

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:53 pm

Its called weaning himself from his mother and litter mates. He's still a baby, find a puppy program and go from there.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby WebfeetshooterNZ » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:29 pm

Thanks for your reply,

I am following a program currently, the subject is discussed but I was not sure at what age when problem whining becomes ingrained in a dog. but like you said he is still a baby and hopefully will grow out of it, I guess after reading other posts on this site I was jumping the gun a bit.

Many thanks
WebfeetshooterNZ
Newb

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:31 pm

good on you for asking for help it can ba a right royal PITA having a whiner in the camp.
Ive never seen an older lab have an issue with it but GSPs I have. keep at it and hopefully it will sort itself as pup grows older.
you from Godzone???
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Postby chrisss » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:13 am

I have the same problem and wasn't able to keep him quiet so I did some reading and came across a product called calming collar. I used it and for some reason mines doesn't whine as much anymore. The only time it whines or barks is when he needs to go use the restroom. Give it a try
chrisss
hunter

Postby WebfeetshooterNZ » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:40 pm

Yes I am from Godzone thanks Elvis Kiwi...The windless capital Haha!
I had a GSP for deer work many years ago and he would whine from time to time (if nothing was happening for him) I think I would have pissed a few mates off if I put him in a Duck blind.
Hence why a Lab this time, I guess I just didn't want to fall in to the same trap as I did with the GSP, Any rough idea what age they Grow out of this? Lab pups that is.
WebfeetshooterNZ
Newb

Postby Elvis Kiwi » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:27 pm

I would be guessing but suggest 18mths should do it.
maybe your pup cocked its leg on the beehive down the street and picked up the whining from there :huh: lol
Elvis Kiwi
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum