Help with a young dog

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Help with a young dog

Postby eGrant51 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:15 pm

My son bought a lab pup, while living in an apartment. The dog spent a lot of time in the house and when I got him he was VERY energetic. I have a 100 acre farm, a couple of other dogs and a pond. He is working well with training dummies. He was hard on a couple of doves in September, did OK on some woodducks early. The other day I shot a goose for him. It was belly up in the water but still kicking when he got to it. The dog bit the goose, pushed it under the water, dug at it, but would not bring it back. I am wondering if it scared him as it was kicking still. I think this dog has a lot of potential, looks to have good breeding, but this goose thing is new to me. eGrant
"To protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Re: Help with a young dog

Postby rookielabtrainer » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:32 pm

My lab is six and was the runt of the litter and still is very small, I think your problem is your dog might not be accustomed to very large birds like mine. When he was a pup he would just pull feathers on geese and only geese. What I did was play fetch with him with actually geese we shot and coax him into bringing them back like saying come on, good boy, get it get it. I also bought a goose retrieval dummy. that was the cure but never ever let them just carry around any birds and chew on them, never! Good luck

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
rookielabtrainer
hunter

Postby ten lb test » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:11 pm

Dan Hosford, Working mans retriever, has an excellent video on training a hunting dog to retrieve Geese. He starts with a dead duck, which dogs he trains see a lot of & gets the dog excited about short hand thrown retrieves then transitions to a dead goose on land with lots of excitement. Dan is a hunting retriever pro from Spokane and has several videos on training hunting retrievers. I don't have a link to his web site but you can Google it under Working Mans Retriever. Pete
ten lb test
hunter

Postby Duckbusterkerr21 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:03 pm

Try the line drill at least that's what I call it. Line up all your duck bumpers in a line and have a goose bumper at the end of the line. Have ur dog at heel and walk up to the line and give ur dog the command to to pick up the bumper after he gets it and returns to heel take the bumper from him and move on to the next one. Once u reach the goose he will be hesitant just incourage ur pup if he still not picking it up reach down and help turn the bumper into his mouth. Tell him to hold and bring him to heel and praise the heck out of him. U will probly have to repeat this proses a few times for ur pup to get ahold of it
Duckbusterkerr21
hunter

Postby rookielabtrainer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:39 pm

For a farm farm dog just play fetch with a goose dummy or actual goose,

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
rookielabtrainer
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:51 pm

eGrant51 wrote:My son bought a lab pup, while living in an apartment. The dog spent a lot of time in the house and when I got him he was VERY energetic. I have a 100 acre farm, a couple of other dogs and a pond. He is working well with training dummies. He was hard on a couple of doves in September, did OK on some woodducks early. The other day I shot a goose for him. It was belly up in the water but still kicking when he got to it. The dog bit the goose, pushed it under the water, dug at it, but would not bring it back. I am wondering if it scared him as it was kicking still. I think this dog has a lot of potential, looks to have good breeding, but this goose thing is new to me. eGrant

How old is the dog? Sounds like he needs some formal training such as force fetching
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:51 am

eGrant51 wrote: The dog bit the goose, pushed it under the water, dug at it, but would not bring it back. I am wondering if it scared him as it was kicking still.

Would be inclined to think that being a crippled live bird that it would've kicked in some prey drive , but then again, the size of a Goose, (and the best way to pick it up even in water for the first time while it's kicking), may have been a tad overwhelming. Particularly for the first time the dog has seen a bird that size.

eGrant51 wrote: I think this dog has a lot of potential, looks to have good breeding, but this goose thing is new to me. eGrant

And perhaps new to the young dog as well.
Sounds a lot like pup wanted the bird to stop moving around so he could figure the best approach to get it in his mouth.

If it were me I'd keep a young dog that's eager to retrieve just that- eager to retrieve,..and use Geese, (dead) on land- progressively so pup can figure out the best way to pick one up and develop some confidence with 'em.
Lots of praise for success.

BTW-
Even FF'd dogs have a "learning curve" in terms of figuring out the best way to pick up a big Goose.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dogyak » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:41 am

agree with swamp . One other thing , I've seen some great retrievers that will grab a live cripple bull mallard , but to this day will not retrieved a goose with even being FF . They were young pups , had a bad experience with a goose . Mainly due to the owner not doing the proper intro , first goose hunt for dog and the goose gave a beating on him . All pups need to have a dead one first for show and tell , then move up with the wings taped . Big different going from a duck to a goose .
dogyak
hunter

Postby eGrant51 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:04 pm

Just to be clear, the goose had been shot in the head, was belly up, dying, and kicking his feat. I did try to throw the goose, on the land, for the dog after I went and got it, he acted like he did not want to deal with it, so I decided to let it go. Back to a frozen duck for a while, we will get to a goose later. He is a good dog, very big and strong, almost too energetic. I need to get him out and shoot ducks, a lot of ducks, and see how he does. I will keep trying. eGrant
"To protest against all hunting is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart"
Theodore Roosevelt
eGrant51
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum