Proud day HR title

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Proud day HR title

Postby rivercountry » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:08 pm

Well I must say I am on top of the world right now. My boy earned his HR title this weekend and I earned a bucket of ice water. I think it worked out a little better for him than me but we had a blast. Met some more really great people, made some good friends, and received some good advice. The ride they call HRC has been a fun and nerve racking at times but I have found it to be really enjoyable.
Saturday we ran water first and he picked up the marks clean and had a good crisp sit on the walk up. The blind was an angle entry across the pond and you had to handle your dog by a point that ran off the opposite bank. It was not beautiful but four whistles later we picked it up to move on to the afternoon. When we went to the line for the land series we ran the blind first and half way to the blind I gave him a left back and he snatched it up. The diversion bird came up on the return which he marked and picked it up with no problems. I loaded up and shot the marks next. The memory came out long and fell just behind the crest of a hill from his view. The go bird came out 50 yards to the left. When I released him he stepped on the go bird and returned. When he delivered he spun and came online with the memory and I released him and he snatched it up clean. I thanked the judges and he stuck his hand out and smiled and said a congratulation that was a great run buddy. Talk about a great feeling, it was awesome to have someone else acknowledge our hard work.
Well, Sunday was fun day and the land test went pretty good, no bobbles just a good run so I felt pretty good going into the water series. That is until I saw the setup and, well it was a booger of a test. Well nothing to do but run it or whine and it is just easier to run the test and let the dog do what he was trained to do. The blind was an angle entry across a small pond and the bird was set on land about 25 yards the other side of the pond and we had to negotiate between a stump pile and a small hedge row to get to the bird. I felt like he did pretty well with it and handled well for the most part. The go bird was straight out about 60 yards with a good splash so no problems there. The memory required the dog enter the water and cross a tight corner and come out on land then re enter the water about 40 yards away for the retrieve. So yes it was a tuff test but looking back I can see the value in it and learned a lot about myself and my boy in the end.
Now we are going to enjoy duck season and train and make a run on a finish title in the spring. Thanks to all on this forum who have offered up sincere advice over the past 16 months. Some of it has been given directly to me and some I just plain stole from others questions. Any way happy hunting to you all and thanks again.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Re: Proud day HR title

Postby ibedamn » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:56 am

Congradulations. It's nice to see hard work pay off :thumbsup:
ibedamn
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:08 am

Rivercountry,
Congratulations to you and your Lab on the HR Title. Folks that have never worked with dogs just don't understand the hard work and commitment that is required to have a dog that performs at advancing levels of proficiency. Nor will they ever experience to satisfaction and pride that you and your retriever do as a well honed team. :thumbsup:

Have a great waterfowling season and get that pooch plenty of practical experience under "real hunting conditions", that experience is priceless and should carry over well for you into further hunt test campaigns. Good luck.

Cheers Mate,
Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:27 am

Good on the both of you.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby TCFarmer » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Congrats on the new title! :thumbsup:
TCFarmer
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:19 pm

awesome job and which test did you get the final pass.

and that sunday water test sounded pretty nasty for a seasoned test. the ones i have seen the blinds on water are normally square to the bank and maybe 40 yards
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:42 pm

Congrats! :thumbsup: Happy Hunting
Preserve game, use a well trained retriever.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:04 pm

Thank you guys alot
rivercountry
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:24 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:awesome job and which test did you get the final pass.

and that sunday water test sounded pretty nasty for a seasoned test. the ones i have seen the blinds on water are normally square to the bank and maybe 40 yards

The sunday water test was the final pass. He passed both days at his first 2 test and both days this weekend.As far as water blinds every water test we ran was an angle entry and fortunatley that is what we trained the most for in the water. We still have alot of work to do to get ready to run finished in the spring but I feel more confident everyday in his abilities. He is the dog that I have have search for all these years and every day is a pleasure to train him. I dont expect he will go 4 for 4 in finished but you can bet we are going to give it everything we have. You guys were right when you said the hunt test game was addictive me and the puppy have had a blast. :thumbsup:
rivercountry
hunter

Postby dogyak » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:53 am

That's awesome country . Glad your pup got it . From reading your post , you are having the problem that most of us guys that hunt our dogs on real hunts . You let your dog cheat the banks coming or going when hunting I'm guessing , I know I've had . Then we run these test and our pup doesn't like the rule change on them , LOL ! Just some advise , if you are going to keep running and moving to finished , then you are going to have to set the standard when hunting . But I myself can say I've have not done it always and it show on my female . She will sometimes get into a battle with me almost like saying "I've got this dad" , let me do my job . I know you understand what I'm saying . Again congrats , love seeing straight up hunting dogs doing well :thumbsup:
dogyak
hunter

Proud day HR title

Postby rivercountry » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:18 pm

No I don't let him cheat the bank in training or hunting. What I meant was that every blind test we have ran was set up for an angle entry into the water not that he had cheated the bank. This is his first hunting season and he hasn't been in any situation yet to cheat the bank. I do hold him to a standard and cheating the bank is one of those things that gets under my skin really quick. If he try's I always cast him back into the water in training and he doesn't get to return until he takes the cast.
rivercountry
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum