Predisposed to Seizures?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Predisposed to Seizures?

Postby T Man » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:19 pm

My lab Jager had yet another seizure tonight. My girlfriend took him to the vet who said "all his levels look normal". I have no idea what this means, and have no idea what they are talking about. Assuming the "levels" are "normal" is there a predisposition to seizures? The only environmental factors we can find that may be an influence are the fact that he has a seizure approximately 2 weeks after a change in food. Other than that, we cant think of any triggers. The vet suggested we put him on a medicine anyway, but im skeptical. Does anyone have any insight into this? Have you experienced this? This wouldn't have happened if I would have ff'ed him. :lol3:
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Re: Predisposed to Seizures?

Postby dsm16428 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:52 am

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:44 am

I was going to give you a serious opinion until I read your last comment. Serzures are nothing to fool with.
Guess I will pass.
Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby TomKat » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:11 pm

I hope it turns out ok Tommy
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby ibedamn » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:21 am

My 1st Chessie had seizures. A sad sight to see. I'm not sure what caused them, but the medicine the Vet put him on stopped em. I don't think the medication ever hurt his hunting any. He made it to fourteen.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:12 pm

T Man wrote:My lab Jager had yet another seizure tonight. My girlfriend took him to the vet who said "all his levels look normal". I have no idea what this means, and have no idea what they are talking about. Assuming the "levels" are "normal" is there a predisposition to seizures? The only environmental factors we can find that may be an influence are the fact that he has a seizure approximately 2 weeks after a change in food. Other than that, we cant think of any triggers. The vet suggested we put him on a medicine anyway, but im skeptical. Does anyone have any insight into this? Have you experienced this? This wouldn't have happened if I would have ff'ed him. :lol3:

T Man, my 10.5 year old black dog Grautin use to have seizures. I found that he was eating the leaves and berries of a plant known for causing seizures in dogs. There are numerous plants that can cause seizures in dogs. He has not had one since pulling up the plants. google seizure causing plants for dogs, the list is long...

It took a while for the toxicity of the berries to leave his system, but he is fine now.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Takem_Brewer » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:08 pm

Seizures can be a very hard thing to breed around because a lot of people are not up front about it. People breed a dog, they later have seizures, and do not tell anyone or they double up on a dog who is known to throw seizures. I know nothing about lab pedigrees so couldn't help you out on any of the names in the pedigrees who may be contributing to it but definitely let your breeder know as this is something that they should take into account with their future breeding plans.
Hiland's Talkin Bout My Girl | Vada
Eyez to the Sky Morning Teal | Teal
Ottercreek's Wake Up Little Susie | Susie
Takem_Brewer
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum