Seperation Anxiety-suggested cures

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Seperation Anxiety-suggested cures

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:59 am

Inquiring if anyone has dealt with a dog that suffered with Seperation Anxiety? And what you did to diminish the damage on help the dog ?

I have an 8 month old pup that I becoming worse over time. He is now howling and carrying on when I simply crate him and step out of the house to do chores. Leaving him crated for 6 hours to run errands results in an eaten kennel pad each time. Just invested in a nice Cordura Avery pad with closes cell foam. That's gone.....

I've read that it stems from a Confidence deficiency in the dog. Thoughts on reasons or causative factors that lead to the problems.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Re: Seperation Anxiety-suggested cures

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:29 am

Jesse Jaymes wrote:Inquiring if anyone has dealt with a dog that suffered with Seperation Anxiety? And what you did to diminish the damage on help the dog ?

I have an 8 month old pup that I becoming worse over time. He is now howling and carrying on when I simply crate him and step out of the house to do chores. Leaving him crated for 6 hours to run errands results in an eaten kennel pad each time. Just invested in a nice Cordura Avery pad with closes cell foam. That's gone.....

I've read that it stems from a Confidence deficiency in the dog. Thoughts on reasons or causative factors that lead to the problems.

Our adult male pit has separation anxiety. To the point that we took him to a behaviourist and is now on anxiety meds. Helped immensely. Might be worth bucking up and paying for a checkup before you drive yourself nuts. And for dogs like that, you can't have pads in the kennel with them. Let him lay on the kennel floor. It's dangerous (swallowed objects) and expensive for you and makes you resent the dog. Believe me, I know.

May I ask how you crate trained the dog? At what age? Is he in there during the day or just when you leave? What do you do when he howls and carries on? Do you tell him to be quiet? Do you get angry? No offense, but my guess is that something was not done right, and he doesn't like his crate. Better get on it quick while there is still time to fix it!
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Holeinmywaders » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:36 am

Could you tell us what breed your dog is?

We had a Weimaraner GSP cross that was pretty bad. Good thing that someone was at home all day. If we left it couldn't be for very long because he would literally tear the molding off the door or shred the sheet rock. He lived to be 15 and everyone in the house has romanticized that hell dog.
Holeinmywaders
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:09 am

Holeinmywaders wrote:Could you tell us what breed your dog is?

We had a Weimaraner GSP cross that was pretty bad. Good thing that someone was at home all day. If we left it couldn't be for very long because he would literally tear the molding off the door or shred the sheet rock. He lived to be 15 and everyone in the house has romanticized that hell dog.

I believe it's a Drahthaar
I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Deuce22 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:51 am

Mine's a chewer, and the Mrs. wouldn't allow the dog laying on the hard floor. I got a Karunda bed built to fit his kennel floor. Had it over a year now with no problems. Check them out if you're still in need of a bed, outside that I have no clue. Mine carries on barking/whining when I leave the house, but I believe she settles in after she realizes she's not getting out. She's crated in the basement so she can whine all she wants and no one will be bothered by it. I'd recommend the behaviorist and/or changing up the crate training routine.
Deuce22
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:30 pm

Dog is a DD. He crates himself. He enjoys his crate. He chooses to sleep in his crate even with door open.

Was crated at nights from Day 1. He is not left in the crate excessively. He roams the house free normally. He has been on crate Lock Down for two weeks healing from surgery. But he was developing the issue prior to that.

It's Seperation from me. Panic when I leave and be is not in the crate. Not as extreme. But I cannot allow him free reign right now to find out.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:54 pm

Benedryl
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Duckdon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:47 pm

Is he still on post op meds?
Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:31 pm

No meds. Surprised they didn't give him much. 4 days tramadol and Rimadyl.

He will literally howl if I'm outside for 5+ minutes working while he is crated. Before surgery, he would whine and cry(not crated) while I did chores outside.

He has 3 other stable dogs in his company. Those 3 are happy to find a corner and rack out while we are away. Puppy started shredding a pillow, then a Max 4 dog bed, then whatever else he could find. No wood chewing or door knob eating....yet.

He is well behaved while I am home and inside. Or he is with me.

I've never beat my pup. Not sure I've ever hit him. He got a few knots jerked in his ass, but that was 2 times during training. He learns very quickly and his sit, stay, heel and manners are very, very good.

But the non stop carrying on while i am outside is very frustrating. Was very close to introducing him to 127 on the Dogtra....didnt do it.

He has not been collar conditioned, and I am not in the correct state of mind when he is bawling.

He is very attached to me. Sitting on a foot while he is inside with me. Follows me room to room.

I don't particularly mind either of those traits or habits. I just see it as him being very reliant on me and lacking confidence.

He is recouping from surgery, so I can not work him or tire him in any way. One more week and he is cleared for 10 minute walks and increasing from there. We are probably at that now.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:33 pm

Jesse
First, I don't think yu can do to much corrective training now. He needs to heal up.
Then when you do start any sort of behavior modification don't do it out of anger. I would not be against using an e-collar for correcting the howling in the crate but you need to try and figure out why he is behaving like that and what other things you can do to influence his behavior.

Is this behavior something that you may have caused or promoted? Basically how did you socialize him as a pup to being alone and in the crate? Did you let him out when he howled? Has he learned to get his way with this howling behavior?

Did his Dame and Sire pass there VGP's yet? Might be genitic factor?
What does your breeder say about how the pup acts and do you get any assistance from the breeder?
Don
Duckdon
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:43 pm

You can try a combination of Composure and StressAway. Their both available online and are all natural. They work wonders on my daughters Wirehair. If not you might have to get Prozac from your Vet. You probably can work him out of it but heavy handedness probably isn't the answer.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:14 pm

first, I think DD's are pretty prone to this because they form such a strong bond with the owner compared to many other dogs. Good news is, it goes away with age. Bad news is, they are incredibly destructive while going through it. I could never leave mine loose in the truck going into a restaurant, I had to kennel her. In the home you would not dare leave and close the window blinds, the dog would eat holes in them to see out.

Things to do: leave the dog for short periods where you can observe the dog. Kennel the dog. If dog is noisy and scratches at the kennel, immediately return NO!, pinch her nose harshly, command No Noise! And leave again. If she whines do the same thing. When dog remains quiet for five minutes or so, return, let the dog out, praise her. Keep at this until you can leave for extended periods.

When you leave, have other people walk her or pet her so she bonds with them as well.

Just let her age. If there is one thing that is frustrating to deal with in a DD, that's it. Damn dog cost me about $700.00 in things she destroyed before she aged.

Kennel her all the time or order more checks.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:25 am

Gone,what approximate age are we talking? Kinda curious.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:40 am

Don-

Both passed VGPs. What I don't think is that any DD has EVER had a flaw or chink in their armor....impossible to have any problem with a Super Dog!

Like this OCD issue....no breeder admits its real, but several PM in private that their dog experienced it.

I agree being heavy handed probably not the answer. Simply stated that I've been close, yet refrained. I didnt intend to intro E Collar til this winter/early spring-closer to the year mark. Obviously missing hunting season. I think some things would help. Simply running and cutting loose would help. Just can't do it yet.

As far as my level of being an owner....I do not think I ever gave in to whining vs kennel release. I may be novice but I'm not that green.

I started him off in a large 10X10' kennel inside my garage. I didnt want a young pup digging under while an owner was away. For the first few weeks, we put our other dogs in the garage, but outside the enclosure while we were away. Intention to decrease stress of being isolated. When I returned, I would make him sit and stay while kennel opened until I released him.

If I've F'd up anywhere it would be in two areas;

Possibly being too excited upon return. I do enjoy my dogs and I invest in the dogs partially for the same reasons we all do- the unconditional appreciation. He is excited to see me every time. As is my other dog, who is 11. But the 11 yr old dog was always more aloof from the get go. Not much of a snuggler. Independent. Always did his own things. This dog ran off for years. Would always come home, but on his time, when he decided. This is a Cattle Dog. A male. Incredibly tough.

This DD pup was always a snuggler from day 1. Always attached. If I ran him with the "pack" he was always ranging and bounding. If its just he and I, he was a Beggars Lice stick tight. Not dumb. Not saying he doesn't seem to have hunt. But I don't see his confidence the same. He ran back to me for safety at every new sound or spook. I live on some acreage in a rural setting. So it was not hard to get him into the "wilds" daily. Meaning, he is not a suburb dog that gets taken to the country to run and be exposed 2-3 per week.

If this was a F'up, then what was a solution at this point?

The other area is that I wanted to be the owner. I did to out of my way to be the only one that fed him. My wife did about 25% when I would work odd shifts. I prefered that my boys or wife not get down on the floor with him to rough house or snuggle.

I did fully want an attached dog. I wanted a running buddy and companion for all seasons. Road trips, shed hunting, spring bears, fishing, etc.

The pup has been stellar in those areas.

But I'd like to do my own thing at some point and not have to be attached 24/7. I'm hoping that not having him crated for such an extended period of time will help. As well as scrubbing off some energy.

So....is there a consensus on if I can reprimand and if so, when and how?

I've been already attempting to Down him with a Stay while in the house when I leave the room. I return in a minute or two and praise him. I've not really reprimanded hi for carrying on when I leave the home to work outdoors. I did return once, verbally scold him and added No and Quiet. I departed. He was quiet for two minutes, so I returned. I'd guess that's the utmost in baby step. Monday is quickly approaching. Both Mrs and I will work. He will be crated again. For the last two weeks since the surgery, I was able to work a Swing shift. So I would crate at 1pm. Mrs would uncrate by 6pm.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:09 am

ohio mike wrote:Gone,what approximate age are we talking? Kinda curious.

I would say that most dogs will be between 2 1/2 & 3 when they finally develop full confidence in their surroundings and in the fact that you will always return.

Being totally honest, the one I have now is 9 and I still dare not leave her in a motel room and go for dinner. In the house or truck she's fine.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:16 am

Jesse Jaymes wrote:
The other area is that I wanted to be the owner. I did to out of my way to be the only one that fed him. My wife did about 25% when I would work odd shifts. I prefered that my boys or wife not get down on the floor with him to rough house or snuggle.

I did fully want an attached dog. I wanted a running buddy and companion for all seasons. Road trips, shed hunting, spring bears, fishing, etc.

You now own what you have created. There is no fast cure for it. Wait him out and for God sake, let the the other family members interact heavily with the poor dog. You're actually lucky because many times you create a protective biter by raising a dog this way.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:18 am

Jesse, Such a long come back I hope my using bold type underlined will make it easier to follow my thinking
Jesse Jaymes wrote:Don-

Both passed VGPs. Then we may assume the parents are of a stable nature. To pass the VGP a dog needs to show some ability in self-controlWhat I don't think is that any DD has EVER had a flaw or chink in their armor....impossible to have any problem with a Super Dog!Have no idea what your last comment is saying, please explain

Like this OCD issue....no breeder admits its real, but several PM in private that their dog experienced it. Tough luck but I guess that's why breeders x-ray dogs. Would be nice if everything was 100% fool proof. Again, sorry for your bad luck. I would hope you did not have thoughts of breeding your pup

I agree being heavy handed probably not the answer. Simply stated that I've been close, yet refrained. I didnt intend to intro E Collar til this winter/early spring-closer to the year mark. Your option. I e-collar at about 4-5 months oldObviously missing hunting season. I think some things would help. Simply running and cutting loose would help. Yes, I think so tooJust can't do it yet. Agree

As far as my level of being an owner....I do not think I ever gave in to whining vs kennel release. I may be novice but I'm not that green. Is it possible how you treat your dog could be a causing agent for the anxiety he displays? I'm asking, regarding your comments about your family below, if you have thought of that possibility?

I started him off in a large 10X10' kennel inside my garage. I didnt want a young pup digging under while an owner was away. For the first few weeks, we put our other dogs in the garage, but outside the enclosure while we were away. Intention to decrease stress of being isolated. When I returned, I would make him sit and stay while kennel opened until I released him. OK, what do you do now when he has a melt down in the kennel and yoru doing your chores?

Possibly being too excited upon return. Too excited on return? How would that be a problem and who is excited? I do enjoy my dogs and I invest in the dogs partially for the same reasons we all do- the unconditional appreciation. He is excited to see me every time. As is my other dog, who is 11. But the 11 yr old dog was always more aloof from the get go. Not much of a snuggler. Independent. Always did his own things. This dog ran off for years. Would always come home, but on his time, when he decided. This is a Cattle Dog. A male. Incredibly tough. Dogs, like kids, all have their own personality

This DD pup was always a snuggler from day 1. Both mine too but then so is my lab. Always attached. If I ran him with the "pack" he was always ranging and bounding. Sounds pretty normal at 8 months If its just he and I, he was a Beggars Lice stick tight. He is 8 months old and he should be looking to you as his leader and being more confident with you. That said, he should be increasing his distances but not his awarness of where you are in the field Not dumb. Not saying he doesn't seem to have hunt. He is 8 months old. He should be showing good hunt but he is young But I don't see his confidence the same. How do you plan to encourage his confidence level? He ran back to me for safety at every new sound or spook. I live on some acreage in a rural setting. So it was not hard to get him into the "wilds" daily. Getting him in the same "wilds" in your backyard is not his "wilds" after the first couple outings. Get him introduced to all things in your life. Expose him to everything you do in your life as much as possible Meaning, he is not a suburb dog that gets taken to the country to run and be exposed 2-3 per week.

The other area is that I wanted to be the owner. You are his owner, so is your wife, as is your children. I want your dog to be in your pack and know his place is below you, your wife and all your kids. If that does not happen now then we will be hearing from you when he is 3 and taking charge of his place in the home. I did to out of my way to be the only one that fed him. I can't imagine why your would feel this would be a benefit to your dog My wife did about 25% when I would work odd shifts. I prefered that my boys or wife not get down on the floor with him to rough house or snuggle. Never would do this in my house. Kids and puppies go together like white on rice. Why would this benefit your dog or you. You ask why my dog has anxiety problems??? Why would you ask that?

I did fully want an attached dog. Attached to what? What are you thinking of when you say you want him attached? I wanted a running buddy and companion for all seasons. Road trips, shed hunting, spring bears, fishing, etc. Maybe I understand. Do you feel your dog will not want to run or hunt with you if he plays with your kids or snuggles with your wife? If that's what your thinking then I suggest your mis-guided. Change that thought.

But I'd like to do my own thing at some point and not have to be attached 24/7. I'm hoping that not having him crated for such an extended period of time will help. As well as scrubbing off some energy.

So....is there a consensus on if I can reprimand and if so, when and how? What are you going to reprimand he for? Being anxious?

I've been already attempting to Down him with a Stay while in the house when I leave the room. I return in a minute or two and praise him. I've not really reprimanded hi for carrying on when I leave the home to work outdoors. I did return once, verbally scold him and added No and Quiet. Have you ever tried doing or saying nothing at all when he acts out in the crate and "letting him cry himself to sleep" so to speak? I departed. He was quiet for two minutes, so I returned. I'd guess that's the utmost in baby step. Monday is quickly approaching. Both Mrs and I will work. He will be crated again. So he will be crated while no one is home........so, if he howls all day and no buddy heard him, was he really howling? I would not give him another mat. For the last two weeks since the surgery, I was able to work a Swing shift. So I would crate at 1pm. Mrs would uncrate by 6pm.

You did not reply when I asked you if your had been in contact with your breeder and get his input? He knows the parents and he also has contact with littermate owners.

Don
Duckdon
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:07 pm

Duckdon wrote:Jesse, Such a long come back I hope my using bold type underlined will make it easier to follow my thinking
Jesse Jaymes wrote:Don-

Both passed VGPs. Then we may assume the parents are of a stable nature. To pass the VGP a dog needs to show some ability in self-controlWhat I don't think is that any DD has EVER had a flaw or chink in their armor....impossible to have any problem with a Super Dog!Have no idea what your last comment is saying, please explainSarcasm the DD seems infallible as a breed. Successful in 3 year old blood tracks, BTR a sasquatch and swim in liquid nitrogen. With all of the work involved in breeding and testing and German standards I was made to believe that it was impossible to have any complications[color=#FF0000][/color]

Like this OCD issue....no breeder admits its real, but several PM in private that their dog experienced it. Tough luck but I guess that's why breeders x-ray dogs. Would be nice if everything was 100% fool proof. Again, sorry for your bad luck. I would hope you did not have thoughts of breeding your pup was never interested in going thru breeding the dog regardless of his ability. Just not for me. Certainly would not consider it now. Even at this stage of the game I have a loyalty to the breed

I agree being heavy handed probably not the answer. Simply stated that I've been close, yet refrained. I didnt intend to intro E Collar til this winter/early spring-closer to the year mark. Your option. I e-collar at about 4-5 months oldObviously missing hunting season. I think some things would help. Simply running and cutting loose would help. Yes, I think so tooJust can't do it yet. Agree

As far as my level of being an owner....I do not think I ever gave in to whining vs kennel release. I may be novice but I'm not that green. Is it possible how you treat your dog could be a causing agent for the anxiety he displays? I'm asking, regarding your comments about your family below, if you have thought of that possibility? Sure, but that was the question at the onset. What or how to change

I started him off in a large 10X10' kennel inside my garage. I didnt want a young pup digging under while an owner was away. For the first few weeks, we put our other dogs in the garage, but outside the enclosure while we were away. Intention to decrease stress of being isolated. When I returned, I would make him sit and stay while kennel opened until I released him. OK, what do you do now when he has a melt down in the kennel and yoru doing your chores? Not much. Mentioned I verbally scolded him one episode. Returned shortly after he was quiet. Verbal praise.

Possibly being too excited upon return. Too excited on return? How would that be a problem and who is excited? Possibly me being too excited. Announcing "How are my puppies today?? Or bending over and greeting the dogs allowing them to lick my face or hands. I try not to get the dogs too amped up. But all 4 enjoy when I come home. They enjoy when my wife arrives also I do enjoy my dogs and I invest in the dogs partially for the same reasons we all do- the unconditional appreciation. He is excited to see me every time. As is my other dog, who is 11. But the 11 yr old dog was always more aloof from the get go. Not much of a snuggler. Independent. Always did his own things. This dog ran off for years. Would always come home, but on his time, when he decided. This is a Cattle Dog. A male. Incredibly tough. Dogs, like kids, all have their own personality Which begs the question, what is the personality of this DD puppy and how he acts or reacts

This DD pup was always a snuggler from day 1. Both mine too but then so is my lab. Always attached. If I ran him with the "pack" he was always ranging and bounding. Sounds pretty normal at 8 months If its just he and I, he was a Beggars Lice stick tight. He is 8 months old and he should be looking to you as his leader and being more confident with you. That said, he should be increasing his distances but not his awarness of where you are in the field I feel we were increasing appropriately in this area, but again, he's been lame and "under glass" since Sept 2nd. Took a while to diagnose or get a clue it wasn't a Bone Bruise. Two different Vets. Then a 3 week wait to get appt at University. So he's aged nearly 3 months since having him out, off lead, and free Not dumb. Not saying he doesn't seem to have hunt. He is 8 months old. He should be showing good hunt but he is young But I don't see his confidence the same. How do you plan to encourage his confidence level? Intended to hunt any/everything from Sept 1st on....we have Forest Grouse and other furred game very much like you that open early. So it would have been field time out away on "virgin" territory. And I did have him out in other settings not at home. Various lakes and Forest Service lands as well. If you recall, I was concerned over him being a very hesitant swimmer. Took him a long time to gain confidence to do it. He ran back to me for safety at every new sound or spook. I live on some acreage in a rural setting. So it was not hard to get him into the "wilds" daily. Getting him in the same "wilds" in your backyard is not his "wilds" after the first couple outings. Get him introduced to all things in your life. Expose him to everything you do in your life as much as possible I do not feel I've failed in this area. I've not had him in dog parks with other dogs, but he's been around other DDs not his litter mates I would have like to have gotten into birds and more hunting scenarios, but again, he went down at 6 months. Just about when I was ready to really kick off the next stage in Bigger Dog training. Meaning, he is not a suburb dog that gets taken to the country to run and be exposed 2-3 per week.

The other area is that I wanted to be the owner. You are his owner, so is your wife, as is your children. I want your dog to be in your pack and know his place is below you, your wife and all your kids. If that does not happen now then we will be hearing from you when he is 3 and taking charge of his place in the home. I did to out of my way to be the only one that fed him. I can't imagine why your would feel this would be a benefit to your dog My wife did about 25% when I would work odd shifts. I prefered that my boys or wife not get down on the floor with him to rough house or snuggle. Never would do this in my house. Kids and puppies go together like white on rice. Why would this benefit your dog or you. You ask why my dog has anxiety problems??? Why would you ask that? Sarcasm on your part? To paint a better picture, I have two step boys, 14 and 16, who live with me. They are not interested in hunting much. Unless you can guarantee them a deer or duck shooting within a 3-5 minute window. They are plugged in to an Xbox 24/7. Bothers me to no end. Does not bother Mom. I love their mom immensely. So we agree to disagree and leave it. The boys could really care less about the puppy. They will let him out when I ask them. Feed him if I leave them a note, and then text them to remind them. Other than that, neither really interact with the other. They are permitted to interact whenever they want with the pup. I simply asked them not to get down onto the floor with him at the 10-12 week stage. And not to pick him up. Mrs picked him up all of the time. Read this in Training the Versatile Hunting Dog I believe. Seems that it's the one decision that nobody is comfortable with.

The dogs are feed and then made to be released to their bowls. All 4 dogs. Why did I prefer to feed?? He's my dog. Nobody else is going to hunt with him. Nobody else will every request him to Heel. Nobody else will ever be up his ass if he chooses to do a Victory Lap with a bird and play Keep Away. I fully believe in a Hierarchy-with household humans at the top, and dogs below. I feel that I am more educated than most on Dominance Issues and how subtle things a dog may do are actually a pretty disrespectful Dominance ploy by the dog. The Cattle Dog is a major Dominance player and it took me a long time to realize this. Never aggressive with me, but did many things throughout his life to show Dominance.

I did fully want an attached dog. Attached to what? What are you thinking of when you say you want him attached? I wanted a running buddy and companion for all seasons. Road trips, shed hunting, spring bears, fishing, etc. Maybe I understand. Do you feel your dog will not want to run or hunt with you if he plays with your kids or snuggles with your wife? If that's what your thinking then I suggest your mis-guided. Change that thought. Pretty much what I am trying to describe. To some degree. Cooperation is a scored area. I'd like us to be a Team. A great one. I did not want another dog that was aloof and concerned of little other than himself or filling his belly. A dog that hunts for me, not for him. A dog that wants to please me, not simply succeed to avoid punishment.

So....is there a consensus on if I can reprimand and if so, when and how? What are you going to reprimand he for? Being anxious? Howling and eating a crate pad. Carrying on while he is alone. Not being patient and relaxed.

I've been already attempting to Down him with a Stay while in the house when I leave the room. I return in a minute or two and praise him. I've not really reprimanded hi for carrying on when I leave the home to work outdoors. I did return once, verbally scold him and added No and Quiet. Have you ever tried doing or saying nothing at all when he acts out in the crate and "letting him cry himself to sleep" so to speak? That's the thing, I don't think he every Burns Out and goes to sleep. From what I've read and understand, most dogs will tire and burn out.....dogs with separation anxiety can not handle it and will even injure themselves eathing thru crates, ripping off nails digging, etc. I departed. He was quiet for two minutes, so I returned. I'd guess that's the utmost in baby step. Monday is quickly approaching. Both Mrs and I will work. He will be crated again. So he will be crated while no one is home........so, if he howls all day and no buddy heard him, was he really howling? I would not give him another mat. I've not given him any additional mats since For the last two weeks since the surgery, I was able to work a Swing shift. So I would crate at 1pm. Mrs would uncrate by 6pm.

You did not reply when I asked you if your had been in contact with your breeder and get his input? He knows the parents and he also has contact with littermate owners.

Don

The breeder thing is semi touchy. Too much to type also. And it's public. We've been in contact. We see things differently. He is a phenomenal dog handler. His credentials speak volumes. Top 10 Armbrusters the last 3 years. But would he readily admit he had an OCD pup in one of his litters? Or had a mentally unstable dog? Or had a few pups that were sub-par? C'mon

My pup has already had the OCD in both shoulders. His coat is an 8 at best and fine as baby's hair. And what if he is somewhat mentally unstable?

I still love him. Not trading him. I was told to snuff him and get a free one. Wasn't interested.

Ultimately was told "There is nothing you can F up with this dog, that cannot be un F'd".......that's what I am asking for help with. Pup needs to eat twice a day. Didn't think it was wrong NOT to be the one to feed him. Somebody has to get the bowl and fill it(He will actually bring me the bowl if I ask him to go get it, but he still can't fill it) Obviously didn't think it was wrong to lie down to watch TV and letting the pup snuggle with me and nap. He does not sleep on my bed, and he has House Rules(he is not permitted to go downstairs to the Xbox Lair where the boys reside......I did not want him into things I couldn't see, and also did not care to have him going up and down stairs with soft bones)

Don-

I appreciate your thoughts and input. Diagnosing things via internet is certainly tough. Even tougher on this end. I could never type enough to paint the most accurate picture of myself, the dog, or our lifestyle. I have my opinions, ideas and thoughts. I've asked others for theirs and their input.

Ultimately I need some type of plan or direction. Ignore and hope he does not harm himself? Collar correction? Never leave home? Take dog EVERYWHERE? (he can wait patiently in the truck without damaging anything for over 15 minutes...that's as far as I've tested or needed. He may be in the front seat when I return though)....there is some sarcasm hidden in there.

Jess
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:19 pm

FWIW, it took me an hour to type, color font, and post the above while heating some lunch. Pup curled up against the couch in the other room the whole time, patiently. Didn't need to touch me or be attached to me. But I still think if I go outside now, he'll go Ape.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:13 pm

Jesse
This internet thing is a PITA for sure but your starting to paint a different picture than what I was getting before. I am not a pro trainer or a doggy psycdoc. That said I do have 2 DD's, my first 2, that are real stable and a pleasure to hunt with in the field. Even the 10 month old pup. I did grow up with a kennel full of GSP's so have at least some background with high energy hunting mutts. DD's are great dogs and the breed program has helpe make it that way. To bad you got caught up in all the hype. Remember he is still just a dog. You don't need to go to many breed trials and see not all DD's are created equal.

The breeder thing..I figured as much. To bad if it is a sore subject cause I would like to think your breeder is your anchor.
ODC can have other causes other than genitic.

I think you are on coarse with much of your problems. The surgey was a tough deal and the heeling time tough to get through. Your almost there so I would hope as he gets out more he will eze up a bit.

As far as his corrections in the kennel or anywhere for that matter. When he is naughty, and he knows the rules then I see no problem with a correction. You need to be sure he knows the rules and your timing needs to be spot on to make any corrective action work. DD's are no different than any of your other dogs in that reguard. He is heeling so I would likely not use any strong arm but I have and would use the e-collar on a dog in the crate. Another thing I learned from a trainer is the "nose bite". He will grab a dog and bite it hard and heck on the nose. It does get their attention. I am pretty physical with my dogs but that does not mean I am beating them. Many a dog has been picked up by the scruff of the neck, held at eye level , nose to nose, spoken to in a quiet and calm voice and then placed back on the ground, gently. Now I have their attention. Main thing is that the dog must know the rules and he chooses to break them, then it's correction time. Again, don't correct out of anger. Don't loose sight that your pup is 8 months old and has had a major set back with the surgey. He may be just one of those that will mature later.
I'll send you a PM
Don
Duckdon
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum