Which meat dog program?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: Which meat dog program?

Postby YJSONLY » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:29 pm

So it would be safe to assume some of these ??

Smartworks: very in depth and $$$$$
Water dog : outdated

I will look into the others thank you for the replies.
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:58 am

Take a look at the Fowl Dawg series (there are 4 DVD's) to the series so you could pick up the DVD's as needed in your training depending upon how in depth you want to go in your training. Rick works slowly through the training so you will get the visuals you are looking for.

Fowl Dawgs 1 covers basic training - introduction to land and water marks, obedience, hold, force fetch, collar conditioning, steadying your dog and quartering.
Fowl Dawgs 2 covers advanced basics - force to pile, indirect pressure, whistle sit, mini T, double T, swim-by and remote swim-by.

Another possible training DVD is Chris Akin's. I have not seen this, but many mention it so maybe someone else will chime in here.

The Fowl Dog individual DVD's are not too $$$$ .... But if you are concerned on cost, again I would suggest you take a look at the Classified Section on Retriever Training Forum (RTF) as there is always someone looking to sell their lightly used training DVD's.

Would also suggest locating a retriever club that you can go out and train with as club members will happily work with a new member and their pup and all that will cost is throwing a few birds at the club's training day!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby YJSONLY » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:28 am

I think I am going to pick up the Fowl did series. And give that a try.
YJSONLY
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:31 am

Dakota Creek wrote:Take a look at the Fowl Dawg series (there are 4 DVD's) to the series so you could pick up the DVD's as needed in your training depending upon how in depth you want to go in your training. Rick works slowly through the training so you will get the visuals you are looking for.

Fowl Dawgs 1 covers basic training - introduction to land and water marks, obedience, hold, force fetch, collar conditioning, steadying your dog and quartering.
Fowl Dawgs 2 covers advanced basics - force to pile, indirect pressure, whistle sit, mini T, double T, swim-by and remote swim-by.

Another possible training DVD is Chris Akin's. I have not seen this, but many mention it so maybe someone else will chime in here.

The Fowl Dog individual DVD's are not too $$$$ .... But if you are concerned on cost, again I would suggest you take a look at the Classified Section on Retriever Training Forum (RTF) as there is always someone looking to sell their lightly used training DVD's.

Would also suggest locating a retriever club that you can go out and train with as club members will happily work with a new member and their pup and all that will cost is throwing a few birds at the club's training day!

Chris aikens duck dog basics:

He uses more atta girls and boys than no's. Its all based on positive reinforcement.

Picking a puppy ( pedigrees and clearances )
What not to do to start bad habits ( tug-o-war as example )
Basic ob - here, sit, sit-stay, down, and kennel
Returning to heel after commanding here
Intro to birds
Intro to guns
Intro to water
Intro to decoys
Intro to blinds/boats/stand
Steadying
How/where/why to train in different places, terrains, and cover
Intro to collar
Collar conditioning
Force Fetch which starts with hold
Walking fetch
Reintro to birds after FF
Practicing hunting situations with birds, guns, calls, and blinds.
I used this program and I was very satisfied with outcome. I felt like it was informative throughout each step. Like any program, you have to stick to it, and not take shortcuts.
Then DDB 2 moves on to advanced training such as t, mini t, swim by and such.

I think I covered it well, may have forgot something though. Biggest mistake I made and learned from was don't try taking the lead off too soon. I've seen many threads where others had the same problems. Take it slow. If its not working simplify it back a step.
Last edited by brsutton86 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby brsutton86 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 am

YJSONLY wrote:I think I am going to pick up the Fowl did series. And give that a try.

Buy a couple ones you are interested in. Watch then through, and see which one suits you. Sell the rest. You won't be out much money and will pick up a few things extra from different ones.
Livin' the hive life
Buy USA raw honey

Christian Waterfowlers Assoc.
http://www.thecwa.org
brsutton86
hunter

Postby StanNoftsger13 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:19 am

I have an experience to share with you guys. Once I was in a remote place, my signal in my phone got jammed, i thought the problem would be with my service provider. After coming back home i gave black and blues to my customer care highlighting my issue. They pleaded me saying that the problem is not with them. Then i browsed through the search engine regarding my issue, i got a remedy for my cell phone, there i came to know the problem called signal jamming that is experienced in most cell phones. They have a product called videoblocks could be very useful to get rid of these problems. Check out the details here cell phone jammer and hope this information would be beneficial. Hope that u would pass this information to all your friends, so that they too would benefited, Stay safe, Cheers
StanNoftsger13
Newb

Postby GarDuck » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:45 am

Rick Hall wrote:Then go find a trainer you can throw birds and shovel crap for in return for hands on opportunity.

This is actually the best advice it beats any program and things that seem complex and esoteric are rendered average and everyday. I followed this advice and had a pup at 6 months retrieve 40 dove running consistent blinds to those he was incapable of marking. However a side effect that is worth mentioning after 2 months I quit my steady job and got paid a quarter as much just to be around the dogs. Best decision of my life!
GarDuck
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:20 pm

Finished Dog By Charlie Jurney
You will not be disappointed! Excellent info. Train your dog as in depth as you like. With e collar or without. Answers every question and explains why dogs do what they do and why training does what it does. Book. You can google or pm. Used this book with my dog. Have watched Charlie run dogs at hunt test and he gets it.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum