Marital Debate

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Marital Debate

Postby otisscout » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:12 pm

Well I have been talking to my wife about adding a hunting companion to our family. I have my heart set on a Chessie, she wanted a Golden Lab.....BUT now she has run across the Springer Spaniel. So my question is for those with experience with springers. I know they duck hunt, I live in Utah so we do get the cold but 20's is usually the average lows I would hunt, rarely breaking ice. I want to compromise with the ole lady :help:
otisscout
hunter

Re: Marital Debate

Postby Dakota Creek » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:42 pm

otisscout wrote:she wanted a Golden Lab.....:

FYI ..... No such thing as a golden lab ... There are Golden Retrievers (long coat) and yellow Labrador Retrievers (short coat - black, yellow and chocolate)

Sorry pet peeve!!!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby otisscout » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:45 pm

yeah, yellow lab. My fault, Im on bird dog overload. I knew that :oops:
otisscout
hunter

Postby Greenhead329 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:47 pm

Not a fan if springers. We have 3 or 4 come in the clinic, none of them are good dogs. They are all dog aggressive and are prone to ear infections. If you research the breed you will find some springers have a genetic disposition to "springer rage." The dogs will without provocation "snap" . I just moved back to the south east from your neck of the woods and if you hunt in any of the crap i had to hunt in....cocleburrs, and whatever the other sticky things were mixed in with them you will never keep his coat clean

There are a lot better breeds to choose from
Labrador
Chesapeake
Golden retriever
Drathahar
Last edited by Greenhead329 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whoever says you can't buy happiness has obviously never owned a lab

?Dos Juevos???... Dos Juevos
Greenhead329
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:56 pm

Does your wife like the qualities/characteristics of these breeds, or the appearance?
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:02 am

Without question, the yellow lab. The lab will also withstand the heat better you have to put up with there in the summers.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby Einstein » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:57 pm

I have a yellow, and I would argue there's not a prettier dog. He has an extremely calm demeanor and is a perfect size. HE also is cold tolerant, as he stays outside around the clock. He is a work in progress in the field, but I expect him to be able to do anything I ask him to. He is 8 months. I know guys with spaniels, although it seems the rate of error, as previously stated, is MUCH higher in dogs that are not boykins, labs, chessies, or DD.
Einstein says: "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

Check out my build:
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=465930
Einstein
hunter

Postby TrapperRob » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:05 pm

Greenhead329 wrote:Not a fan if springers. We have 3 or 4 come in the clinic, none of them are good dogs. They are all dog aggressive and are prone to ear infections. If you research the breed you will find some springers have a genetic disposition to "springer rage." The dogs will without provocation "snap" . I just moved back to the south east from your neck of the woods and if you hunt in any of the crap i had to hunt in....cocleburrs, and whatever the other sticky things were mixed in with them you will never keep his coat clean

There are a lot better breeds to choose from
Labrador
Chesapeake
Golden retriever
Drathahar

I thought only pit bulls "snapped", :huh: , I guess you can't trust any dog!
:sarcmark:

I would look at the Drahthaar, best all around, in my opinion.
And we all know about opinions!! :fingerhead:
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Lab. Loving, loyal, great bird dogs. In the long run your wife will be much happier and so will you if you don't compromise. Sometimes the fight is worth it in the long run. Particularly when it will be your hunting dog. My chocolate lab is sleeping on the couch with her hind feet touching my leg like she does every night. She loves people and other dogs. She is gentle with children and loves to hunt.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby rookiemistake » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:08 am

Anybody know is the Drahthaar sheds like crazy
rookiemistake
Newb

Postby Duckdon » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:48 am

rookiemistake wrote:Anybody know is the Drahthaar sheds like crazy

Nothing like a lab. I have one lab and 2 DD's . Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:59 am

Don't ask, and just go buy what you want. All women I know of love puppies.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:15 pm

No spaniel expert but my impression was that spaniel rage stems from a show champion springer that had this "rage" tendency. He apparently is pretty prevalent throughout most show springers. I've heard working goldens have had to deal with a similar issue. All that hearsay being said I'm also under the impression that spaniels from true proven working lines do not exhibit this rage and are a real joy to have in the home and field. They are also undeniably pretty.
GarDuck
hunter

Postby Tyler Radke » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Get the lab before she decides she wants a dachshund.
Tyler Radke
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:11 pm

ibedamn wrote:Don't ask, and just go buy what you want. All women I know of love puppies.

Take it your not married......all puppies grow up and fast.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby LiquidA45 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:11 am

otisscout wrote:Well I have been talking to my wife about adding a hunting companion to our family. I have my heart set on a Chessie, she wanted a Golden Lab.....BUT now she has run across the Springer Spaniel. So my question is for those with experience with springers. I know they duck hunt, I live in Utah so we do get the cold but 20's is usually the average lows I would hunt, rarely breaking ice. I want to compromise with the ole lady :help:

Just keep asking a different wife until you get the one that agrees with you.

Just skew the odds in your favor. Write down ALL the goods things about the dog you want and maybe one negative. Then write down all the negatives of the dog she wants with one or two positives...show her the comparison. MIght even tell here things that appeal to her emotions, since that's what women are all about. For example: "Honey, we get some pretty harsh conditions around here and the (insert dog of your choice) has the coat to withstand the elements much better than (insert dog of her choice). You wouldn't want (dog of her choice) to get too cold blah blah blah...
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby wraithen » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:34 am

You said you had your heart set on a chessie. Is she deciding she wants the pretty dog or is the breed temperament what sold her on a different breed? If she's just going off of looks tell her the dog will be dirty most of the time anyway. If it's a size issue... I got nothing to help on that one. I'd say get your data straight on what you want from your dog and find a breed that is the best match for that. I'd rather have a dog that looked like a failed abortion attempt that could was amazing at everything I wanted than one that got all the attention at the dog park. (I say this but my current dog does both. I want her to be a huge intimidating sweetheart that lays around all day. Brindle Old English Mastiff.)

I was a similar boat as the OP for my next hunting buddy but I researched the crap out of what I thought I needed and had facts to support my decision instead of emotions. Worked for me. Good luck
Education is important, but common sense is importanter ~ tknight006
wraithen
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:22 am

LaRedneck wrote:
ibedamn wrote:Don't ask, and just go buy what you want. All women I know of love puppies.

Take it your not married......all puppies grow up and fast.

No, I'm not...for some odd reason.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:04 am

Been married 40 years. I think the wife has a say, but mine is bendable for sure. We have 3 dogs, all hunters, 2 Drahthaars and one lab mix. I could use another DD but she says NO.
Here is her best buddy, Klous.
grandmaklous1213.jpg

Now about 5 months later. Klous is the one on the right.
morninghunt.jpg

Don
Duckdon
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:09 am

wraithen wrote:
I was a similar boat as the OP for my next hunting buddy but I researched the crap out of what I thought I needed and had facts to support my decision instead of emotions. Worked for me. Good luck

If logic and hard facts were even a moderate factor in my wife and I's relationship we would never have an argument.
GarDuck
hunter

Postby berudd » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:10 pm

If getting a duck dog is your overriding priority then don't get the Spaniel. I am sure they make excellent hunters and if you did more of a mixed bag with a stronger preference to upland and didn't need to deal with cold they might make a better choice. For a duck dog, you really can't beat a Lab or a Chessie. Other dogs can do it well be its what these guys were bred for. Just like other dogs can point if you want a pointer you get a pointer.

I was in a similar situation and considered the Springer as well along with a Boykin. My old Lab sheds like mad. But my wife made the mistake of asking what the best duck dog was and I pointed at the Lab. So, now I have another Lab. :) I get marital harmony and all that but don't buy a hunting dog because your wife thinks it pretty.
berudd
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:11 pm

berudd: I am calling waterfowl on ya.
The history fo the Lab is......... Labradors where not bred in the beginning for duck hunting but fishing

The St. John's area of Newfoundland was settled mainly by the English and Irish. Local fishermen originally used the St. John's dog to assist in carrying ropes between boats, towing dories, and helping to retrieve fishnets in the water. The Labrador's loyalty and hard working behaviour were valuable assets for fishermen.[9]
They also would catch fish that came out of the set nets for shore fisherman. So if you want a dog to take fishing I guess it should be a Lab. They do make a passable waterfowl dog.
Don
Duckdon
hunter

Postby berudd » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:15 pm

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Common knowledge. Now, let's find a breeder that sites this as a goal over waterfowling. The overriding primary goal of breeding working Labs is to retrieve waterfowl and has been for many (canine) generations.

I take mine fishing all the time.
berudd
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:01 pm

otisscout wrote:Well I have been talking to my wife about adding a hunting companion to our family. I have my heart set on a Chessie, she wanted a Golden Lab.....BUT now she has run across the Springer Spaniel. So my question is for those with experience with springers. I know they duck hunt, I live in Utah so we do get the cold but 20's is usually the average lows I would hunt, rarely breaking ice. I want to compromise with the ole lady :help:

What part of Utah ya from?
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:05 pm

Agreed. I would think a lab would best meet your needs. I've not known any woman who doesn't get all sappy around a lab puppy.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Return to Hunting Dog Forum