Slow to return retrieve

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Slow to return retrieve

Postby pollard22 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:47 pm

I have a year an a half year old lab that I have trained myself and this is her first season hunting. She is doing everything I want and the way I want. Except for when she returns with the birds, she basically walks back to me with the bird. This is not a problem with bumpers just the majority of the time we are hunting. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks
pollard22
hunter

Re: Slow to return retrieve

Postby dogyak » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:56 pm

Have you condition your dog to here with the e-collar , did you even cc your dog at all . More info would help , like breeding and if using a program . Did you use live birds for training and such ?
dogyak
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:15 am

I've had dogs that I could speed up with a nick of the collar and those that have their own speed and never speed up. If she is just a hunting dog, pick your battles carefully; this is one that isn't worth a lot of your time.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:03 am

gonehuntin' wrote:I've had dogs that I could speed up with a nick of the collar and those that have their own speed and never speed up. If she is just a hunting dog, pick your battles carefully; this is one that isn't worth a lot of your time.

+1
No reason to attempt to change a dogs' style if everything's working.
But if the dog is "lollygaggin'" back, marking territory, takin' a crap, dropping birds, and ignoring commands on a return, that's different :yes:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GarDuck » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:15 pm

I assume you are going bananas when your dog gets the bird if your to embarrassed to cheer for a young pup well then sack up and get over yourself. The pup should be encouraged for a job well done. If your praise isnt enough get the entire blind involved the same should go for when returning with bumpers.
GarDuck
hunter

Postby pollard22 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:57 pm

I used the "water dog" program. I tried the small shock with the collar to encourage here and she didn't respond well to that. I would also better describe her return as half lolly gagging and just taking her time
pollard22
hunter

Postby dogyak » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:15 pm

pollard22 wrote:I used the "water dog" program. I tried the small shock with the collar to encourage here and she didn't respond well to that. I would also better describe her return as half lolly gagging and just taking her time
Got too ask , did you condition your dog too the collar before you gave her the shock . I know water dog doesn't cover how too use the e-collar . If you didn't , the reason she didn't response well is because she was confused . Their are steps to using the collar and if you go about it wrong , you could ruin your dog . Really suggest you find a retriever club or someone to show you the ropes . Leave the collar alone for now . Where do you live , someone here might tell you where to go or better yet , take you under their wing . Seen it happen on this chat many times .
dogyak
hunter

Postby pollard22 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:33 pm

I'm a student at Mizzou. I did condition the dog for the collar and use for other problems and she has responded fine to it
pollard22
hunter

Postby dogyak » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:28 pm

What program or who showed you how to collar condition . I really think it wasn't done right . Your own words "she doesn't response well with a small shock " . A dog properly collar condition would response with a positive note . A dog that hasn't will have a negative response . It's a fact . Best advise is to get a program and start over like a puppy . I know you are a student and funds are tight and I plus others have been there . You can get a Fowl Dogs for 65 , Duck Dog Basics for 50 for both DVD"S . A small price for a big return on a great dog . Leave the collar alone for now .
dogyak
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:00 pm

pollard22 wrote:I'm a student at Mizzou. I did condition the dog for the collar and use for other problems and she has responded fine to it

If you conditioned the dog well to the collar, why didn't she respond well to the correction?
What was her exact response?
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby berudd » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:26 pm

I might tend to go with the opinion that with a hunting dog just let it go if it just her returning at a slow speed. But you mentioned lollygagging and I want to correct that for sure. My old Lab took her time returning as well. I did not use an e-collar with her. She was never really a speed demon anywhere and while I wanted her to be faster, she never failed to come straight back so I didn't mess with it. My current dog is a different story. You better stay out of her way on the way back. In general, she is much higher energy than my old lab ever was so maybe it's a personality thing. But one difference is I got the young dog, Elsie, at 8 weeks and the older dog at 12-16, it was 15 years ago so I can't recall. Since just about the day Elsie came home she was chasing balled up socks down the hall and as soon as I got my hand on it, it went flying again. So bringing it back fast meant she got to chase it again fast. I also did what someone above mentioned and jumped up and down like a fool when she was coming back. She responds well to that. And I did what Wolters recommends and when she was young I would turn and run she was coming back which made her try to catch me.

Maybe she just need some more fun time with dummies.

Did you say this only happens with brids and not dummies?
berudd
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:59 pm

Unless there's a real, (real) modernized version of Waterdog, the methods have never included any collar work or Pressure Conditioning.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby pollard22 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:43 pm

The collar conditioning was done by a trainer from north central Missouri that I sent to her for a month and a half. I believe this was the single biggest waste of my money in my life because he cost a fortune and only force fetched the dog. I have barely used the collar with her at all and the past couple hunts since posting this i have quit using it completely and focused more on praise and making it more fun for her. This has improved the lolly-gagging but she still returns to me at her own pace. The only real problem with this is multiple retrieves and the crap she take from friends but I'm not sure her pace is ever going to change considering she is very mellow and relaxed for a 1.5 year old lab. Thanks for the help
pollard22
hunter

Postby dogyak » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:13 pm

Well it might be what it is . But I will say , most pro's I know will only take a pup for FF only and doesn't include CC . Most pro's required at least 3 month's on contract for the basic program . Most of the time is only OB then CC to commands , then FF . Intro to birds , gun trained and marking singles in water and land . Again , don't think your pup was properly CC , or she wouldn't have the neg response you said she had . The only other thing that would cause this is unless she doesn't respect you , not saying that's the reason but could be :huh:
dogyak
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum