Duck dogs and alligators

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Duck dogs and alligators

Postby berudd » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:28 pm

So, I'm watching a show where they are teal hunting he the Mississippi Delta of Louisiana and sending there Lab out for birds. In this particular instance the water is very shallow so maybe gators aren't a concern. But what about deeper water. I assume duck hunters in the Deep South use dogs, right? Do gators pose a risk to the dogs?
berudd
hunter

Re: Duck dogs and alligators

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:46 pm

During September teal season in South Louisiana, putting a dog in deep enough water where a big gator might feel secure is taking a bad risk. But when water temps reach the low 60's, the cold blooded gators' metabolism slows beyond hunger, and losing a dog would take more of a fluke, like the dog startling one sunning or some such. Consequently, I hunt mine without much concern in the cooler big duck season but chauffeur him in deep water during the teal season:

If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:00 pm

Man, I love it Rick. Now the guys that can't get their dogs to swim can still get the retrieve. Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:31 pm

Teal season is clearly very tough on that pup.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby rexahayes » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:50 am

Beautiful chessie, rick.
rexahayes
hunter

Postby dogyak » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:24 am

Rick is spot on , live if Florida and follow what he said . I don't even use the dog during early teal here . Protect your buddy !
dogyak
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:36 am

rexahayes wrote:Beautiful chessie, rick.

Thank you. He's been a fine friend and hand.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:02 pm

About 15 years ago I was teal hunting the Wax Lake Outlet at the mouth of the Atchafalaya in South Louisiana. We had left our dogs at home because of the gators. The Wax is a distributary where you can walk on hard bottom in shin deep water but there are trennasses (channels) where the water can be quite deep. You don't want to put a dog across a trennasse when it's warm out.

There was a group of guys launching right after us who had a big yellow male running around. I mentioned to them they might want to forgo the dog, but they waved me off.

Turns out they decided to hunt a few hundred yards away from us. We had gotten our limit and were just heading out when we heard screaming, a dog yelping and shotguns going off. Turns out the dog was swimming back across a trennasse and a big gator decided to take an exploratory bite. We motored over to see if we could help.

The dog was in pretty bad shape with two broken rear legs and multiple puncture wounds, but they somehow had managed to scare off the gator. I administered what first aid I could and stabilized the legs with pieces of willow branches and a fishing rod. The dog wasn't bleeding to badly externally, but you could tell shock was setting in.
They left everything out and rushed back to the launch to get the dog to a vet and we agreed to pick up their dekes and leave them at the launch guy's hut. No idea if the dog made it or not, but he was pretty torn up. Probably not.

You just have to be careful down here when it's warm. Gators and moccasins are a fact of life, but I worry a lot more about my dog stepping on a big moccasin than I do a gator taking him.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:29 am

And THAT ^^^^^ is why snow, ice, mosquitoes and black flies don't look so bad to me!!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:00 am

I worry far more about careless 4-wheelers clipping a dog on a hunt than gators or snakes. Spend a lot of time teaching my young dogs to give moving bikes wide berth, but there's no accounting for some operators' lack of attention - or judgement...
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ShadowMagic » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:25 am

Rick - You still hunting woodcock down there? Found some in east Texas a few years back

Keith Hickam
ShadowMagic
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum