anyone know this DD breeder?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

anyone know this DD breeder?

Postby SMcGarrity » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:19 pm

Vom Konig-Haus

http://vomkonig-haus.com/

anyone have any familiarity or experience with this group?
SMcGarrity
hunter

Re: anyone know this DD breeder?

Postby TrapperRob » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:57 pm

Although I have no experience with the breeder, I plan on owning a VDD as my next dog. I've done plenty of research and have selected this dog. If your hunting variety shows that a VDD is what you are in need of, then I would go for it.
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:07 pm

I am in the process of narrowing down breeders, so just looking for feedback.

thanks!
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby Deuce22 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:29 am

I don't know the King's personally, that said here are some things to consider that I think are very positive.

Bethany is very involved in the Big River's Chapter of the VDD. When I lived in MO and was in that chapter I was always relieving e-mails from her about chapter happenings and training days.

Looking at their website shows me several positive things. First, their honest about their dogs, and their scores. Few breeders publish their litters scores. That to me, is very up front and honest. I appreciate that. It isn't a deal breaker, but it shows they're willing to be very upfront with what they produce. Additionally, it mentions Jim Wion owning and testing one of their dogs. Jim is the secretary for the whole VDD-GNA org. If he has one of their dogs they must be doing something right. They seem to be very hands on breeders, which is very helpful if you're a first time DD owner.

I don't have hands on experience with their dogs, but those are some things that stand out to me.

What other kennels are you looking at?
Last edited by Deuce22 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deuce22
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:17 pm

What sort of hunting do you do mostly? I would ask that question and then look for a breeder that produces that type of hunting dog as it's mainstay. A breeder that has some history of producing pups that really excel in what type of hunting you like to do the most. V dogs are just that, but some lines excel in certain areas and some lines in other hunt venues. Not all DD's are created equal. Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:30 pm

Duckdon wrote:What sort of hunting do you do mostly? I would ask that question and then look for a breeder that produces that type of hunting dog as it's mainstay. A breeder that has some history of producing pups that really excel in what type of hunting you like to do the most. V dogs are just that, but some lines excel in certain areas and some lines in other hunt venues. Not all DD's are created equal. Don

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
SMcGarrity
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum