Finding A Lab A Good Home

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Finding A Lab A Good Home

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:47 pm

I have been asked by a good friend to find an 8 month old papered chocolate lab a good home. The pup is a male that is registered with the AKC. I will have the papers and certifications on the pup tomorrow night. He has all of his shots and immunizations. i plan to get some good pictures of him to post up in the next day or two.

My question is what should I look for in a good home for him? Are there some specific questions I should be asking. My goal is to find him a home where he will be hunted.

The back story is that my buddies daughter bought him as a family dog. She has not trained him to anything past sit, here, and stay. He is your typical high drive lab without the required training and discipline a young dog needs. Her problem is a lack of time and knowledge on how to train, exercise, and work with the pup. She wanted a dog that would be just like her 10 year old back yard bred lab that passed away recently. Mellow, lazy, easy going.... She went to a kennel and got a high drive pup that is the opposite of what she was hoping for.

I figured some of the breeders on here might have some good ideas on questions I should ask potential new owners.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Re: Finding A Lab A Good Home

Postby dogyak » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:57 pm

A high drive , why don't you take him . AKC paper 8 mos pup with high drive you could do a lot with . If it was me , I would take him :yes:
dogyak
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:09 pm

I think your in the right place.
Find out if it's a full registration or limited.
How much money is involved?
Are you willing to ship?
Post up the pedigree
Copy of the vet history

I would want it to go to a hunting family, maybe with kids.
Why don't you take the pup, Dogyak?
Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby d boe » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:30 pm

If the dog has full registration, then I will definitely take him. Contact me at 662---255---8297. Or email at bolanjd@gmail.com
d boe
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:34 pm

dogyak wrote:A high drive , why don't you take him . AKC paper 8 mos pup with high drive you could do a lot with . If it was me , I would take him :yes:

I don't need a second dog right now. I have my hands full with training Bella.

The gal is not looking for any money despite paying for the dog and going through all the vet bills, etc.... I would be willing to ship the pup to a good home if the new owner covers the cost.

I plan to post up his papers once I have them. I will be calling the kennel to ask some questions once I have the papers.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Re: Finding A Lab A Good Home - Update

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:50 am

He is an 8 month old, male, chocolate lab. He is from AKC registered parents. The litter was registered by the breeder. The owners have not registered the pup.

His parents AKC registration information is as follows.

Breed : Laborador Retriever
DOB : March 3, 2013
Sire : Detering's Cyrus Dam : Detering's Alisa
SR44777703 (02-09) AKC DNA #V660332 SR56589703 (06-11)

Breeder : Mark Detering
Litter Owner : Mark Detering

I plan to pick up the veterninary records for the pup along with getting some good photos of him this weekend to post up. As I get more specifics I will pm information directly to the people who have pm'd their interest along with posting up the pictures and information here as well.

If someone that is an AKC member can look up his parents ancestry for me I would appreciate it. I am not a member and don't have a password for their website to look that up.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby labsforme » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:10 am

Huntinglab Pedigree is a good site for researching pedigrees.Detering's Cyrus showed up. Nothing behind it that I can recognize.Looks like all backyard to me.

Jeff
labsforme
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:24 am

labsforme wrote:Huntinglab Pedigree is a good site for researching pedigrees.Detering's Cyrus showed up. Nothing behind it that I can recognize.Looks like all backyard to me.

Jeff

Could be all backyard for all I know. I got shanghied to find this pup a home. I am still working to get all the information on him I can.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby labsforme » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:46 pm

Still could be a good dog for someone.Try Lab Rescue. I Think Deer Park or do a web search for lab rescue in Oregon.They could place it in a good home and save you hassle.
labsforme
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:53 pm

True enough on that. The problem is this pup is high energy and very high drive. He presently lives in a home with no exercise, and no outlet for all that energy. I have a few folks here who have expressed an interest. I am going to invest enough time to get full information on the pup and see if I can find him a home where he will get hunted over. That way he can get some training and worked like a lab should be. A mentor of mine called in a favor on this one.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:18 pm

image.jpg

I am now the short term owner of two chocolate labs. I have Buster in my back yard roaming around sniffing everything. He is an uncut chocolate lab of the British type. Big head, thick chest, etc. He had all of his shots as puppy. He has recieved his 2nd parvo shot and will need the 3rd shot soon. His vet records are all up to snuff. I worked him with a short positive reinforcement session when I picked him up. He went right in the crate after 5 minutes. We did another session on sit when I took him out of the truck. That one went ok. I ran another session after 20 minutes of walking him around the neighborhood. Buster had sit down with some work needed to solidify it. He has the ability to learn and a lot of energy. He clearly was not getting the attention or exercise he needed. He is 8 or 10 lbs overweight right now. I am going to keep working on basic discipline while he is at my place. I plan to put him on the proper volume of food to reach the proper weight for a male his age.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby boontize2 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:49 pm

Still have the pup what is your location pm me please
boontize2
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:22 pm

I have two pups laying here snoozing after a hard play session and dinner. He really is a good pup. He is fairly solid on here. We will be working on basic obedience again tomorrow.
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:24 pm

He is a nice looking pup, will he retrieve?
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:30 pm

I just got him home and worked on obedience. I will see if he retrieves tomorrow.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby KyMike » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:04 pm

Where are you located?
KyMike
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:11 pm

South West Washington. I am going to figure out shipping to various parts of the country tomorrow.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:29 pm

The owners said he lets you know when he needs to go out. That is true. He just came and caught my attention then headed for the back door. He retrieves. The owners sent a rope toy he loves. He and I have been playing fetch with it for about 10 minutes. Bella has him pretty worn out right now so he is not running to fetch. They just woke up from a nap a little bit ago. He came over, plopped down at my feet and took his nap with his head under my legs.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:49 pm

I had the day off today. I decided it was time to check water skills. i wanted to see if Buster needed water introduction. We started the morning with a potty break then breakfast. Bella as usual wolfed her food down, Buster didn't even look at his food. I think he always had a full bowl where he lived. After a bit he decided to eat and slowly munched his food down. I will be transitioning him to morning and evening feedings over the next week.

We all ran down to PetSmart after the frost thawed to pick him up a new bag of food. He was being fed regular Puppy Chow. I picked up some grain free puppy food. He will get transitioned over to it slowly. After the PetSmart visit we drove down to the Columbia River for water work.

I walked the dogs down to the beach. Since no one was there I cut Buster loose to see what he would do. He ran straight into the water chest deep. He then froze in place with a funny look on his face. It looked to me like his first time in water. I cut Bella loose and threw a fun bumper to see what he would do when she retrieved it. The race was on. He barreled into the water after the bumper. I suspect he hasn't been swimming before since he dog paddled all the way out. Bella beat him to the bumper despite his head start. At one point this morning he was trying to pick up both bumpers and kept shoving his head fully underwater trying to grab the second bumper. This was while swimming in deep water with the first bumper in his mouth.

That is Buster behind Bella In the picture after his first attempt at a 40 yard water retrieve.
Attachments
image.jpg
Last edited by ScaupHunter on Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:01 pm

I checked Busters weight while we were at PetSmart. He weighs exactly 76 lbs. I am betting he loses 5 or 6 lbs and hits his optimum weight for his age. Buster and Bella spent about 40 minutes running the beach and making water retrieves. The cold water didn't phase him at all. Bella was shivering after 20 minutes. He has a huge retrieving drive and is fearless In the water.

They made dozens of dual bumper retrieves this morning. He goes out hard and fast and comes back the same way. He needs some work on delivery to hand. He wants to play keep away and tug of war. With very little time and effort he is already coming around on obedience. He loves water retrieving and has a lot of drive. This pup should make someone a great hunting dog.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby cock429eye » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:40 pm

Boy he will love south Louisiana water it's probably 25 degrees warmer
cock429eye
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:12 pm

The Columbia River was about 38 degrees today. All the ponds were frozen over.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Re: Finding A Lab A Good Home - Found a Home

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:10 am

Buster is going to get picked up on Saturday. A family in far NW Washington is going to take him. They have two kids and two other labs. He will be hunted over decoys and have an active life. Buster is an awesome dog. He is picking up all the training quickly. He has a gentle and affectionate personality. His is a hair soft with an incredible retrieve drive. He spent last night with his head on my lap sleeping after a hard work out. He just needed attention and some training to be a great house dog.

I want to thank everyone who posted and pm'd advice: I also want to thank all the folks on here who expressed an interest in taking Buster. My research on dog shipping turned up some pretty steep prices. I had folks from as far away as Connecticut and Louisiana who offered to take him in. I ended up deciding to go with two families in Washington state that wanted him. The first family decided to go with a new pup. The second family had already said they wanted him if the first couldn't take him.

His new owner is going to make a 4 hour drive each way to pick Buster upon Saturday. Buster and I are going to run an hour or so north to cut a few hours off the new families trip.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby cock429eye » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:37 am

Good luck buster hope you get a good forever home.
cock429eye
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:36 pm

Good for Buster
Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum