Im nervous about this weekend

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Im nervous about this weekend

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:34 pm

ok this weekend is going to be Belles first duck i have run a few tests and been to lots of training day she knows the standard of what we are doing in those situtations but i think im more nervous about opening day and running belle than i was at my first hunt test that something is not going to click or its going to be like some of the hunting youtube videos you see where the dog is out in the decoys before the first bird hits the water. the easy memory marks are going to turn into blind retrieves. i have hunted her once on a dove hunt and she was fine but only picked up three birds and they were singles. i know i wont be shooting for the first few groups of birds but bringing the gun so the group can take as many birds as possible because it is not often we get the amount of birds we saw sunday afternoon in our little part of GA and want to take advantage of it if we can.

maybe some stories of your first hunt with your first pup will make me feel a little better.
krazybronco2
hunter

Re: Im nervous about this weekend

Postby Labs » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:53 pm

Belle will be fine...just make sure, sit means sit....there are going to be a lot more things going on during an actual hunt, and your dog will know it...they will also figure out the difference. If your doing blinds with her, don't worry about her marking the birds...remember, you can handle her...we generally don't train for simultaneous falls, so there will be some that will end up being blinds anyway...good thing is, most of them should be in the decoys...50 yds at most....should be a piece of cake.

Labs
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:07 pm

Biggest question is has she been prepared for "the group" to cut loose or is the group prepared to cut back and ease her into such volleys?
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:21 pm

Your dog will get through the weekend just fine if you use your head. I like that you are going to be handling the dog and not doing much shooting, you can have some control. Here is what has worked for me when introducing a young dog to a bunch of guns.
If possible situate yourself and the dog away from the hunting blind where the dog can watch the falls much the same as in a test, just not as much distance, and handle the dog from there. She already knows to look for the falls when she hears a gun, and some of your fears about multiples may take care of themselves, some dogs do multiples naturally if given a chance.
You can move closer to the shooters if you feel that the dog is taking the situation well, just don't rush it. With any amout of luck you and your dog have another 10 to 12 more hunting seaons left in you.
You have spent the time to train her, so make it the dog's trip and enjoy the work she gives you.
Fun and Safe Hunting
Wayne
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:27 pm

You will both do fine.

Wayne gave you some excellent advice.

kn
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:30 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Biggest question is has she been prepared for "the group" to cut loose or is the group prepared to cut back and ease her into such volleys?

Rick is 1000000% correct. I would never put a new pup under a bunch of guns in a blind on the first couple outings. Remember, you have woked her with one gun in a controled situtation where she knows what to expect. She is not gun shy yet.
Now you stick her in a blind, she can't see well, it smells funny, looks weird and it's cold, maybe dark, wet and someone steped on her foot. Then Joe duck caller quacks like a duck, loud mouth Murphy yells "TAKE UM" and 27 shots magnum 12 guage rounds beller out over her head in the matter of 6.2 seconds. Imagine the echo in that blind? Best start her with one gun and you not shoot but handle her. It will be fine if you do it easy...... Soon those 27 shots will be music to her ears, but not the first time.
Take a leash with you. I bet you will need it.
Above all, have fun, don't expect her to do everything right and take what is said here very serious.
I will be expecting a full report and pictures when you get back.Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby Phild » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:48 pm

You two will do fine like others have said back things up and start slow, It took Gauge about 4 or 5 birds I can't remember to catch on the "hunt" instead of training deal. Then I introduced a second gun but was reserved with it. How many guns are you planning to shoot? As well be prepared for a level of excitement that can not be matched in training and for things to not go exactly as planned. Crying was a big thing for Gauge from excitement. Remember it is about you and your dog having fun and not all about the killing birds. Enjoy it the first hunt is fricking awesome.

Best of Luck
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:05 pm

I wouldn't be nervous. Unless she's a chocolate. :sarcmark:
copterdoc
hunter

Postby dogyak » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:27 pm

Very good advise was given . Just have trust in your training program and you should be fine Krazy :thumbsup:
dogyak
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:45 pm

im going to take every bit of advice and the biggest is using my head but again thanks to everyone other than copterdoc I like my coffee black and my dogs chocolate and sure a few others like catsquirrel would agree haha.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:49 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:...I like my coffee black and my dogs chocolate...
I like my coffee like I like my women.
Ground up, and stored in the freezer.

Good luck this weekend.
And don't tell that joke to anybody in the blind.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:10 pm

Have fun Bronco.
Belle will make you proud. You have trained her now she will show you.

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:15 pm

Belle picked up 2 ducks today and she nailed both of them and was steady for both of them. but we did have some issues the first being the 2 guys i was hunting with wanted me to shoot as well so i didnt get to pay as much attention to belle as i would have liked. second was she broke on a couple of groups but the positive was that we couldnt hit anything so she never got the pleasure of picking up a bird when she did break. but other than that she was fine was pretty calm but after the first bird i dropped it was almost like a light bulb went off in her head and she learned birds come from the air cause after that first bird her eyes were to the sky and every single bird that flew near us she was watching it.

now time for the pics of the day
her first duck (not pretty but might get it mounted to go with my drake wood duck)

waiting for some more birds

the end of the day
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:29 pm

Always remember that first wild bird retrieved . Glad she somewhat did what is was trained for . The action was slow down here , I myself only got 2 . Nice Drake there !
dogyak
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:51 pm

dogyak wrote:Always remember that first wild bird retrieved . Glad she somewhat did what is was trained for . The action was slow down here , I myself only got 2 . Nice Drake there !

the first retireve was a quick one boom splash Belle. but pretty much all we saw were woodies had a few big ducks that wanted to work the hole but they would get to around 50-60 yards and then hang up. still not a bad season opener in GA if we could have hit some birds i think we could have limited out on woodies by 8 at the latest.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Sat Nov 23, 2013 8:37 pm

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:44 pm

Great work so glad you go to get into some birds for opener. LOL I was laughing when you said "the light came one" becasue I figured as much. I know this may be hard to do but try to concentrat on her and her break for the next few times out you don't want to have her start a habbit. I know I should have strived for this harder with Gauge but as time went on we did more and more hunting and less and less trainging. Every minute free was spent hunting and she started to develop a "I know what I am doing" attitude and would either cry or try to break and I would have to catch her on it. It is very distracting to hunt like that. Not saying she didn't do awesome for her first year just not %100, %100 of the time, not sure how many first year dogs are?

Congrats,
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:01 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:...we did have some issues the first being the 2 guys i was hunting with wanted me to shoot as well so i didnt get to pay as much attention to belle as i would have liked.

That's a little like saying the girl didn't want you to wear a condom, and begs the question, "Who's in charge of you?"

Concentrate on your pup now, and you won't have to later.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:06 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
krazybronco2 wrote:...we did have some issues the first being the 2 guys i was hunting with wanted me to shoot as well so i didnt get to pay as much attention to belle as i would have liked.

I am glad that everything went well on your hunt, but like Rick, this was the comment that stuck out to me. If it was my pup and someone asked me to shoot I would have said "NO ... I am concentrating on my pup's training". If they miss a few birds ... So what?
GMHR-II Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:58 pm

Very nice Bronco and congratulations.
Now that the first ones over enjoy the rewards.

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:43 am

Dakota Creek wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:

I am glad that everything went well on your hunt, but like Rick, this was the comment that stuck out to me. If it was my pup and someone asked me to shoot I would have said "NO ... I am concentrating on my pup's training". If they miss a few birds ... So what?

will do and threw some marks yesterday so she understands steadiness in training but next time i wont be taking the gun at all so i wont be temped to shoot just work the dog.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:39 am

krazybronco2 wrote:
Dakota Creek wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:

will do and threw some marks yesterday so she understands steadiness in training but next time i wont be taking the gun at all so i wont be temped to shoot just work the dog.

That was the same as me I could not reproduce that same level of excitement for Gauge in training to get her to want to break or cry lol. Miss a few flocks of birds and she sure lets me know I am a crappy shot. You have to ramp your training level up to that of hunting, I am still scratching my head as how to do this in the spring but I need to stop her crying.
Phild
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:52 am

Phild wrote:I am still scratching my head as how to do this in the spring but I need to stop her crying.

Get a bunch of live pigeons to toss free (I use homers) and only shoot one now and then when Pup is behaving.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Phild » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:44 am

Rick Hall wrote:
Phild wrote:I am still scratching my head as how to do this in the spring but I need to stop her crying.

Get a bunch of live pigeons to toss free (I use homers) and only shoot one now and then when Pup is behaving.

Thanks Rick :thumbsup: I was thinking of building a blind and getting a guy to come shoot live fliers with me actually, launch them out of the winger. Man that is going to take a lot of live birds lol.

Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:42 pm

I'd just toss them, as that's going to be a whole lot more exciting than winger launched birds. I use my homers, but it could be that you can find a trainer with homers who'll rent the survivors to you and only charge full price for those that don't make it home healthy. Pointing dog trainers would likely be a better bet than retriever trainers, as many use planted birds similarly, only killing those handled well and letting the others fly home.
Rick Hall
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum