Im nervous about this weekend

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: Im nervous about this weekend

Postby Phild » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:16 pm

Thanks, I have access to a grain elevator and 1000's of pigeons lol Takes all of an hr to get 20 and they don't need to go home. Sorry to derail you thread Krazy

Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby kwacksmacker » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:23 am

the yella's first year hunting i never picked a shotgun up for a month. oh sure it sucked not getting trigger time with the dog but i have never regretted it. he is solid and a joy to hunt with.
totals for 09/10 season
5 bald eagles, 3 swans, 475 hen canvassbacks, 37 pintails, 400 teal blue wings and the season hasn't even started.
kwacksmacker
hunter

Postby labman63 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:02 am

This dog just turned a yr old and had her first hunt last weekend in Arkansas. She did a good job. There was a few times she had to be helped on multiple birds(not running blinds yet) but she got the go bird and singles without a hitch everytime. She even handled the specks like they were teal.
labman63
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:52 pm

today was a lot better just keep the gun in the case plus kept belle on her leash so I could work the jerk string. ended up not killing anything but she kept her butt on the ground for the most part when they were shooting except for one group but she didn't creep just stood up so got a nice correction with the chocker chain. also had my brother in laws dog who was going to pick up all the birds if they went down. the whole point of that was so she knew every bird was not hers and to work on honoring as well. really she could care less about guns going off but got to work on her watching where birds are cause our birds are not the best decoying birds (woodies mostly) and she needs to be able to see them coming so she can mark them better.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:56 am

slowly getting there today was a solo hunt/ scouting mission just wanted to see if there were any birds so why not take some decoys the dog and a gun. got in there late so tied belle up to a tree so I could put decoys out had a few out and a group of 3 come over me nice and slow look over at belle and she spotted them flying (glad to see her watching birds better) so figure there are more to come throw a few more decoys and as im setting up the mojo, 2 come right over and start to swing around so go pull the gun out of the case and by this time they have circled 2-3 times. I load one shell and they are starting to cup up soon as they get 20 yards away drop one and the second one starts to circle again so load another shell and as the drake is about to hit the water I hit him (my first double) I see belle looking at the 2nd bird down get her to heel and calm down a bit then release her, she picks it up no problem comes back to heel "wheres your mark" she looks like she knows where it is but she didn't got 5 yards out and started to hunt so brought her back in we walk across to where I thought the bird was(didn't want to run a blind cause wasn't sure where the bird was) tell her "hunt it up" and she takes off searching every bit of cover about 10 ft away she starts to get birdie and pulls it out of some nasty stuff (it had crawled in to the cover pretty deep) came back to heel and those were the last two ducks we saw for the morning. but she is getting better just wish the birds didn't come in while I was setting up decoys so she could have marked both birds.

krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:38 pm

Great story sounds like she is learnign the game pretty fast. It would be nice for her to get into an 8 bird day that would give her lots of work for a hunt.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:50 pm

Phild wrote:Great story sounds like she is learnign the game pretty fast. It would be nice for her to get into an 8 bird day that would give her lots of work for a hunt.

Later
Phil

it would be nice to get into the birds but I think I live in the worst state ever to try and hunt ducks might have to come up to you and hunt next year haha.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:39 am

If you do maybe I will get you to pull up my mud boat LOL The offer is alway here just let me know so I can line up hunts and take time off work :thumbsup:

Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:53 am

Phild wrote:If you do maybe I will get you to pull up my mud boat LOL The offer is alway here just let me know so I can line up hunts and take time off work :thumbsup:

Phil

if it is a prodogy boat i could do that and if you give me a couple of weeks notice i can even make sure it runs and operates correctly haha.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:27 pm

[quote="krazybronco2"
if it is a prodogy boat i could do that and if you give me a couple of weeks notice i can even make sure it runs and operates correctly haha.[/quote]

Think that is EXACTLY what Phil's looking for!
GMHR-II Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:19 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:
Phild wrote:If you do maybe I will get you to pull up my mud boat LOL The offer is alway here just let me know so I can line up hunts and take time off work :thumbsup:

Phil

if it is a prodogy boat i could do that and if you give me a couple of weeks notice i can even make sure it runs and operates correctly haha.

Sure now worries there that is easy partial payment on transfer LOL, Sue ya got me pegged do ya? I haven't told you I found a one off custom builder as well that makes a hell of a baot for a great price :biggrin: But really I think I would want to travel and see your country and pick it up but we could try it out your way lol.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:36 pm

well tomorrow will be Belles 4th hunt and it is going to be different than anything we have done before (timber hunt with passing woodies) and going to be raining and hot it will be an experience for both of us. wish us luck in the morning and hitting some birds and belle marking them so we don't have to run a blind off the bottom half of a tree stand.

and phild Belle and I would love for you and Gauge to come down and get you a nice drake wood duck.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:46 pm

the little turd is really surprising me at how fast she adapts to a changing environments. today with the bottom of a tree stand as her dog stand and she did great sat was steady (not sure if she is learning or cause of unsteadiness of the stand) but marked her one bird down really well. buddy has pics of her 5th retrieved duck.
krazybronco2
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum