10 week old pup need help training!

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

10 week old pup need help training!

Postby chrisss » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:35 pm

I have been trying to clicker train my pup. He underatands sit and come but I can't seem to get him to understand heel and down and leave it. Everytime I get close to him he tends to start bitting my clothes and hands. I can't seem to get him to pay attention.

He also like to pull on the leash and when I try to teach him to heel he is still pulling. I have tried changing direction but he jus keeps at it and tends to bite the leash from time to time.

With down I have him sit then put the treat on the ground covering it until he lays down but he never does lay instead he just goes off looking around other places. Same with leave it. I have ben watching the clicker training videos on youtube.
chrisss
hunter

Re: 10 week old pup need help training!

Postby berudd » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:18 pm

I think on a scale of 1 - 10 your pup comes in at AWESOME! :)

You do not have a problem. Sit and stay at this stage is great. My dog was months old before I attempted heel and down and I consider her a fast learner. You just need a little more patience. Take your time, he's doing great.
berudd
hunter

Postby cootlover » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:23 pm

I hope this is a joke it's 10 weeks old REALLY. :no:
cootlover
hunter

Postby dogyak » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:40 pm

it's a puppy , everything is supposed to be fun and exciting right now . Most important thing for now is socialization and desensitization at this time . The outcome : confidence , stability , and balanced behavior . Of course , bonding her you too . Now chill :yes:
dogyak
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:10 pm

dogyak wrote:it's a puppy , everything is supposed to be fun and exciting right now . Most important thing for now is socialization and desensitization at this time . The outcome : confidence , stability , and balanced behavior . Of course , bonding her you too . Now chill :yes:

agreed the pup is just really starting to understand who he is and having fun very little to no pressure at this stage have fun and enjoy the puppy cause they grow up way to fast. mine is 22months old tomorrow and she still acts like a puppy from time to time.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Holeinmywaders » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:10 pm

Everyone is being surprisingly calm on this one. :biggrin:

Yes Fun Fun Fun. Sit and come is great at this age. Heel seems like it should be easy but pups should be allowed to explore and be inquisitive. I may be wrong but heel is a steadying command and very difficult for a dog who is young and easily distracted. Sit is a command that happens right now and is rewarded right now. Heel usually lasts much longer than the pups attention span.

Have fun. Explore his world and try some easy into to birds.

We all want our dogs just lock step and getting birds at 3 months or less. They are like kids, not all are the same. I have to remind myself to treat them like my kids. Some walk at 10 months some walk at 16 months. No worries.
Holeinmywaders
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:01 am

Holeinmywaders wrote:Everyone is being surprisingly calm on this one. :biggrin:

Yes Fun Fun Fun. Sit and come is great at this age. Heel seems like it should be easy but pups should be allowed to explore and be inquisitive. I may be wrong but heel is a steadying command and very difficult for a dog who is young and easily distracted. Sit is a command that happens right now and is rewarded right now. Heel usually lasts much longer than the pups attention span.

Have fun. Explore his world and try some easy into to birds.

We all want our dogs just lock step and getting birds at 3 months or less. They are like kids, not all are the same. I have to remind myself to treat them like my kids. Some walk at 10 months some walk at 16 months. No worries.

:thumbsup:
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:30 am

Most of this stuff is spot on.

To me, down is just barely harder than sit. You should really do yourself a service of getting your hands on obedience puppy books or taking an obedience puppy class. It's worth it just for the socialization. It's not that you can't do it by yourself, but you'll definitely pick up tips that will make you and your dog better. My 6 month old who I have trained this year is in an obedience class right now. She's the best dog in the class, and the next youngest dog is 2 years old. But she and I BOTH pick stuff up. Even if it's little things like hand placement when treating, when asking to do certain commands.

For specific commands, if you can't buy dvd's or read a book, watch youtube. Watch 4 or 5 videos from different people to see some different approaches.

I like to teach down once they have sit. While they are sitting, put a treat in your hand, then to their nose. In a very deliberate motion, move that treat between their front legs. Some will bob their head, some will lay down. If they don't lay down, then (on the ground), slide the treat out in front of them about 6-12 inches. Usually they will pick it up quick. Start reinforcing the word "down" once they have complied a few times.

You are no where ready for heel. Forget about heel for a while. Work on walking on a leash, having fun, smelling new things. Think how many objects they've never seen before!!! Everything! You should be working on introducing them to new surroundings, people, voices, sounds, etc.

In a few weeks, while walking, while the dog is on your left and walking in a heel position, say "heel" then "good dog" when it's correct. You are starting to let them know where "heel" is. Heel is never pull on a leash and command heel. That is a very big misconception with the command. Like I said, right now you are associating the position with the command, not commanding the position. More later, read or watch some puppy stuff. If you're too lazy, then that's on you. Good luck!
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Return to Hunting Dog Forum