Scared lab

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Scared lab

Postby lt1chevelle » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:21 am

Ran Into a problem that had not happen before with my dog, some reason she is now scared of the gun. When I bring it out she starts to shake. Only thing that I could think of that might make her scared of it now is about 7months ago we had the s.w.a.t team run through out house and it scared the holy crap out of her and the guys all had shot guns in there hands while they came busting in.(swat had to get in out backyard to jump the fence to the Housr next door ). I was think on including the gun into out training now and also leave it laying on her bed so she knows it is not a bad thing? Any ideas you guys have to help me solve this problem would be awesome thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
lt1chevelle
hunter

Re: Scared lab

Postby gonehuntin' » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:13 pm

How old is she?
Has she had birds shot over her?
How much gun work has she had?
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:54 pm

lt1chevelle wrote: Only thing that I could think of that might make her scared of it now is about 7months ago we had the s.w.a.t team run through out house and it scared the holy crap out of her and the guys all had shot guns in there hands while they came busting in.(swat had to get in out backyard to jump the fence to the Housr next door ).

WoW :eek:
Geeze, you know,.. one would think that unless there were some unwanted gunfire associated with this, the dog might not have such a negative association with the very sight of a shotgun. This is absolutely incredible, sorry to hear this.

Gonehuntin' asked a few important questions.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Holeinmywaders » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:34 pm

So the SWAT team just gets to come through your house willy nilly. Was there some special doughnut BBQ going on at the neighbors?

I would not be in a good mood if they thought they were just coming through the house. They wouldn't be in a good mood if they thought they were just coming through my house. If they ask nicely they can use the GD gate.
Holeinmywaders
hunter

Postby lt1chevelle » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:06 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:How old is she?
Has she had birds shot over her?
How much gun work has she had?

She is 4 years old and has been pheasant hunting for 3 years and was never scared, i have been trying to get her into the blind as much as I can but everytime I bring the gun out she starts shaking an I leave cause I don't want her to be freaked out and think everytime we go duck hunting it involves her being scared. I'm going to bring her out to a feild and try firing off some rounds while throwing her dummy and making it exciting and fun. It's just weird cause she has never done this before.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
lt1chevelle
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum