About to start pattern blinds...

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

About to start pattern blinds...

Postby BooneVFL88 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:32 pm

Ok so me and Boone are about to slowly work our way into pattern blinds. Boone is 14mo BLM, been thru OB, FF, CC, FTP and is on his second week of TT. Doing great, I could not be more pleased whit how well he is doing. Only wish I had more time to work with him. Anyway, I have been using Lardys articles with the Fowl Dawgs videos. We will be starting sometime next week and I was just wondering if there was any good advice/suggestions/training material on the subject. Boone is the second dog I have trained and I never got the chance to get this far with my other lab. Thanks so much for all the help. Looking forward to tomorrow morning in Arkansas.

Thanks
I'd rather be huntin
BooneVFL88
hunter

Re: About to start pattern blinds...

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:06 pm

Boone, the best suggestion this keyboard could type out would be to make sure that the double T has provided for pup what it's intended purpose is to provide in the handling dept.. I would be skeptical of a dawgs' true success, that somehow completed TT without one single correction before it was all over with.
Hey- it's possible. But remain objective.

Secondly, I wouldn't run Pattern Blinds into the ground.
In other words-
Don't wind up training pup to run to a visual, I.e., a flag, a bucket,,..whatever. It's not all about running to a visualized, known destination.
Understand the purpose.

Follow your training material.
:beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Re: About to start pattern blinds...

Postby BooneVFL88 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:27 pm

swampbilly 1980 wrote:Boone, the best suggestion this keyboard could type out would be to make sure that the double T has provided for pup what it's intended purpose is to provide in the handling dept.. I would be skeptical of a dawgs' true success, that somehow completed TT without one single correction before it was all over with.
Hey- it's possible. But remain objective.

Secondly, I wouldn't run Pattern Blinds into the ground.
In other words-
Don't wind up training pup to run to a visual, I.e., a flag, a bucket,,..whatever. It's not all about running to a visualized, known destination.
Understand the purpose.

Follow your training material.
:beer:

Defiantly never said he completed TT without any correction. We're into our second week and he still hasn't gotten it down all the way. I don't even know when I'll be ready for pattern blinds, but want to be prepared
I'd rather be huntin
BooneVFL88
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum