Goldendoodle

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Goldendoodle

Postby tdscott » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:08 pm

Has anyone seen one of these dogs hunt?
tdscott
hunter

Re: Goldendoodle

Postby tdscott » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:10 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385244621.158330.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tdscott
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:24 pm

Glad it's working for you and would say you are one of the lucky ones . Most of the Golden & Labradoodles turned out to be dud's that I've seen . Good for you . :thumbsup:
dogyak
hunter

Postby iamlegend » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:13 pm

Penny2.jpg

Here is my 7 month old goldendoodle. Haven't hunted over her yet but have shot over her no problems, she has a lot of drive. Got her for free bc of her straight hair which I prefer anyhow.
iamlegend
hunter

Postby tdscott » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:38 pm

iamlegend wrote:
Penny2.jpg

Here is my 7 month old goldendoodle. Haven't hunted over her yet but have shot over her no problems, she has a lot of drive. Got her for free bc of her straight hair which I prefer anyhow.

That is awesome! Keep working with her while she's young like that that's what makes it all happen. Good lookin dog!
tdscott
hunter

Postby Holeinmywaders » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:30 pm

Lots of mutts make good hunting dogs. :yes:

Problem is that 15 years ago they might give something like that away for free. Now you take the price of the AKC golden and you multiply it by the price of a Poodle and that is the price. Doesn't make a lick of sense to me.
Holeinmywaders
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:49 am

tdscott wrote:Has anyone seen one of these dogs hunt?

Assuming that you are in the "looking for a dog" phase and have not yet bought a pup ..... If you are truly looking for a hunting partner, for the cost of a golden doodle, you can find a Lab, Golden or Chessie with a very good working pedigree (HT / FT titles showing that they can do the work) and health clearances.

IMO ... It's much easier to train a dog to hunt when they come from lines that "naturally" have hunt in them, then to start with a dog that you have to try to put the hunt into. (Most golden doodles are being bred for pets not as working dogs. As well, health clearances most likely will not have been done). This is not to say this can't be done ... But it can take more work on your part and may or may not be successful.

Good luck with your pup whatever breed you choose!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby tdscott » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:38 am

Dakota Creek wrote:
tdscott wrote:Has anyone seen one of these dogs hunt?

Assuming that you are in the "looking for a dog" phase and have not yet bought a pup ..... If you are truly looking for a hunting partner, for the cost of a golden doodle, you can find a Lab, Golden or Chessie with a very good working pedigree (HT / FT titles showing that they can do the work) and health clearances.

IMO ... It's much easier to train a dog to hunt when they come from lines that "naturally" have hunt in them, then to start with a dog that you have to try to put the hunt into. (Most golden doodles are being bred for pets not as working dogs. As well, health clearances most likely will not have been done). This is not to say this can't be done ... But it can take more work on your part and may or may not be successful.

Good luck with your pup whatever breed you choose!

No he hunts quite well I didn't get him with plans of him hunting I also have a lab but my wife had to have one of these so I figured I may as we'll try and train him and it's worked quite well my lab hates the cold water where he doesn't care.
tdscott
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:05 am

tdscott wrote:No he hunts quite well I didn't get him with plans of him hunting I also have a lab but my wife had to have one of these so I figured I may as we'll try and train him and it's worked quite well my lab hates the cold water where he doesn't care.

From the doodles I have had experience with, it sounds like you have more of the exception than the rule. Glad to hear that he's working well from you. Have a good hunting season!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:07 am

My uncle hunts with a goldendoodle. We hunt his swamp for teal during early season and he keeps up with my lab in the fields. Send him to water though and its a different story. He gets cold easy and doesnt have the stamina my lab does.
t_baker
hunter

Postby iamlegend » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:42 am

I was saving to buy a chessie from Dustin then my wife comes home with this doodle. The breeder was charging 800 per doodle, which is outrageous, but couldn't sell 3 out of the 11 bc they weren't curly so she offered it to her for free. All in all I love this pup very much and training has been a breeze, she is very smart. At 7 months all of basic obedience is done, cc done, going through ff now, isn't afraid of my shotgun, and loves the water, cant keep her out of lake camanche. As long as she retrieves the birds and brings them back to me I will be happy.
iamlegend
hunter

Postby berudd » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:55 am

Maybe it's just me but I would never pay money for a mutt and that is, strictly speaking, what these dogs are. I am sure they could make great pets but people make the mistake of thinking they will have qualities of both breeds. They might but they might get only the negative qualities. Or they might get none. Anyone selling these dogs and making claims of certain traits is, IMO, at the very least uninformed which is pretty irresponsible for a dog breeder. But, since there are plenty of uneducated buyers out there with money to burn they have a market. A friend bought a Lab/Poodle mix because it was not supposed to shed. She had to give it away because it shed all over the house.

A cross MIGHT make a good hunting dog. It is a dog after all and we are simply molding their natural instincts to our own needs to make a hunting dog. But, don't get a dog like this expecting that to be the case. If you want a high level of confidence a dog will hunt go buy one from a reputable breeder of hunting dogs.
berudd
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:58 am

My experience while limited is that any dog properly started early will hunt. Will they be field trial champions? Probably not. Wi they hunt hard and do the job? Of course they will. No matter how far they are bred away from it. Dogs are all related to wolves and coyotes. Starve them for a week and throw a cat in their kennel and see if they will kill / hunt their own food. They all have that instinct. There are plenty of dud dogs from prime breeding lines. I know of quite a few families that have failed hunti g line dogs as house pets. Bella has proven to me that a dog that failed one form of training can become a good hunting dog with another.

What I find intersting is how so many people run down new breeds that are being intentionally created with controlled breeding. I am quite certain the same thing was said of labs and Chessies at one time or another. They were mutts until they finally received mainstream acceptance. Along that path I am quite certain there were a few random breeders just like there are in the golden doodle circles.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby berudd » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:41 pm

I think the issue many have with these cross breeds that have been come popular is that it's not really a dedicated breeding program intended to develop a new breed with some specific traits. They are not taking dogs that have the desired traits and breeding them then doing the same with the pups. They are just taking two dogs of the desired breeds, Lab, Poodle, Golden, whatever, and letting them make puppies. Then, they turn around and charge a premium price for "designer" dogs and make claims that can't really be backed up or are not reasonable. It's not a breeding program its a way to make a few bucks.
berudd
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:48 pm

Good for you tdscott.
Dare to be different.............just make sure he gets the duck when someone is watching....
Sort of like showing up in a Texas deer hunting camp with a pink camo rifle. It will be fine..........if you don't miss.
As far as mutts go, I almost had one of dem labradoole mutts back when.
Now I have 3 mutts, a lab / rotti mix and two Drahthhars. Hope to see more of your dog in the future. Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby tdscott » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:42 pm

I would have to agree with scaup hunter, i didn't buy the dog with intentions of hunting him anyways i just thought if my wife had to have him I just as well try. I started working him very young six weeks on and it paid off. Most dogs with any retriever in them in this case "golden retriever" will hunt for you if they are brought up properly at a young enough age. Pure bred lines from hunting breeds obviously may be easier than others to train but even those if not brought up right can be duds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tdscott
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum