Black lab

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Black lab

Postby Blindluck15 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:38 pm

I have a black lab who just turned 3 we never trained her to be a hunting dog and she loves the water and loves to play fetch is she too old to be taught to be a bird dog (waterfowl and upland ) what are the signs to look for if I throw Something in the water she goes for it... I'm located in south jersey is there someone who trains dogs around here or am I better off gettin another dog ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Blindluck15
hunter

Re: Black lab

Postby Duck_Popper » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:17 pm

Use the search tab on this forum. It has been brought up quite a few times and there is some good info in all the threads
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby Joetpr » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:18 pm

It can definitely be done. It will just take more time for the dog to learn since it already has its tendencies ingrained into it by now.

Do a search on youtube for Freddy King Duck, click on his page, then watch the self-taught retriever training. I bet if you start there and 6 months down the road you will have a decent duck dog.

Good Luck!!!
Joetpr
hunter

Postby Max4Holly » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:36 pm

My dog loves water, and will retrieve all day long...until you put in obedience and making sure she stays steady...then after 3 retrieves she's done and looses drive...some have it and some don't, you don't know until you try
Max4Holly
hunter

Postby Joetpr » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:02 pm

Max4Holly wrote:My dog loves water, and will retrieve all day long...until you put in obedience and making sure she stays steady...then after 3 retrieves she's done and looses drive...some have it and some don't, you don't know until you try

I disagree with losing drive. IMO Drive is somewhat genetic but more so affected by the handler/trainer. Say on that second retrieve you reward her with a small 5 calorie milk bone. I bet she will retrieve again and again as long as she thinks a reward is waiting. So just every two or three retrieves give her a treat. The drive will develop and the treats can taper off.

I think all dogs will run until they physically are exhausted with the proper handling and rewards. Physical fitness is also a major factor. It just depends on what reward your dog personally responds the best to. If the dog is force-fetched its drive is get the target in my mouth asap because I don't want my ear hurting. Others may just absolutely love pleasing their master and will try to at all costs.

Another way to develop drive is to stop the training short of the dog wanting to stop. Their last memory will be wanting to go one more time and therefore drive is developed. I always stop training way before my boy gets tired. 10-15 minutes twice to three times a day of hard running, swimming, blinds, ect. is all mine needs. Keep in mind with a dog frequency is much more important and effective than duration.

Long story short drive comes many ways you just have to find the way that best suits your dog.
Joetpr
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:21 am

Introduce that dog to live birds and retrieving them. That will overcome the issues with desire and drive under discipline. Bella had the same issue until she hunted over live birds. Now she won't quit fetching. She would drown herself before quitting unless called off.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby berudd » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:41 am

You said your Lab has not training. What about sit, stay and come? Obedience training is a big part of training a retriever IMO. Sounds like she already retrieves so you just need to tweak that a bit so she waits until you release her and then holds it until you tell her to let go. I bet you have less work to do than you think to have a dog that will mark fallen birds and bring them back to you. Keep in mind most Lab have these ability right out of the box and most of our training is simply to get them to do them on command when we want them to.
berudd
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum