Feeding your dog-- Duck meat

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Feeding your dog-- Duck meat

Postby petenice02 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:51 am

Anyone feed their dog ducks>? Not the store bought or dog food type... The ducks you harvest while gunning.. Just wondering if this is healthy & how do you prepare it.. Thanks
petenice02
hunter

Re: Feeding your dog-- Duck meat

Postby i_willie12 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:07 am

Why would you! :huh:
I feed my dog dog food...
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby petenice02 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:20 am

are you being sarcastic?
petenice02
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:24 am

Yes and no
Why would u feed your dog duck!?
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby petenice02 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:29 am

Many dog foods contain duck as a main recipe.. It is a healthier alternative to processed dog foods with all the un-natural ingredients. I am not talking about "only" feeding duck.. But maybe during the season throwing some duck meat in addition to the dog food.
petenice02
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:29 am

So throwing a little duck meat in your dogs food a couple weeks out of the season is going to benefit them how?
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby petenice02 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:41 am

Do you give your dog vitamins, dog treats, jerky, carrots, sweet potatoes,eggs??? or just dog food? Your dog food cannot give your dog everything it needs nutritionally can it? What did people give their dogs before dog food was mass produced? I am not trying to pick a fight with you.. Just trying to see if people had opinions about giving their dog some duck meat along with their food and if other do this.
petenice02
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:33 pm

I think he is asking a straightforward question or set of questions and asking for the same type of answers.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:42 pm

I figure it would be fine. Just look into the ingredients you use to make sure they are safe for dog or cook without any spices. The dog will like it.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:45 pm

I feed my dogs duck meat and every other kind of raw meat. Shoot some ducks and Cut out the breast and hand it too them or toss it in their bowl. Feed your dogs raw meat everyday. Turkey, deer, cow, chicken, fish, whatever you got.

How does it benefit them? Dogs need protein and fat above all else. Especially fresh protein that has the enzymes and moisture raw meat provides.

So in addition to cooking up duck for yourself on the grill, share it with your canine to provide him superior protein instead of the over processed inferior kibble.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby tpd5 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:49 pm

I frequently feed my dogs the ducks we get. Sometimes raw while cleaning the birds, sometimes grilled. They love it and it is a nice treat for them. They also get pheasant, venison, etc.
tpd5
hunter

Postby petenice02 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:36 pm

thanks for the replies
petenice02
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:08 pm

petenice02 wrote:...Your dog food cannot give your dog everything it needs nutritionally can it?...
Yes it can.
You don't need to feed your dog a raw diet, or supplements.

If you want to feed your dog a diet that might make a difference of 6 months to an animal with an 80 year lifespan, knock yourself out. It's your wallet.

Dogs have a lifespan of about 14 years.
Even if your dog took up smoking three packs a day, it wouldn't kill him faster enough to change his life insurance premium.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:44 pm

i usually just give my dog a few of the trimmings as i clean ducks and geese. i also give maybe a tiny bit of what i have cooked for myself. sortve a reward for swimming out in cold water to bring them back to me...on top of her normal diet of kibble.

my dog sits by me whenever i clean birds so it is hard not to flip her a few pieces as i break them down.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:43 pm

Dogs thrive on real meat. There is no reason not to give the pup some duck. We shoot coots on slow days and make dog treats out of the meat.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Holeinmywaders » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:08 pm

My duck dog won't eat raw meat. He drives me nuts. He eats table scraps most of the time so he gets cooked meats and just about anything my kids drop. I assure you eats lots of table scraps, 9 kids in the house assures him of a steady diet of corndogs and hamburgers.

My last dog lived for 15 years on table scraps. Commercial dog food did not do well for him and toward the end I was cooking his dog food just for him.
Holeinmywaders
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:16 am

Many dog foods use corn or grains as primary fillers. It is a huge problem with a lot of dogs and allergies. I have only fed top line food with no grains or other fillers to Bella. Kibble has come a long way and top line foods cover all of a dogs needs. That doesn't mean is it the best diet for any or all of them.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby berudd » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:47 am

Yes, a quality dog food does provide for all your dog nutritional needs.

Giving a dog an occasional snack of raw meet probably happens to infrequently to have any real dietary impact. I'm sure he would enjoy it but you'd have make raw duck a substantial portion of his diet over the course of weeks or months before it would have an impact.
berudd
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:36 am

berudd wrote:Yes, a quality dog food does provide for all your dog nutritional needs.

Giving a dog an occasional snack of raw meet probably happens to infrequently to have any real dietary impact. I'm sure he would enjoy it but you'd have make raw duck a substantial portion of his diet over the course of weeks or months before it would have an impact.

^^ this!
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby crackerd » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:12 am

i_willie12 wrote:
berudd wrote:Yes, a quality dog food does provide for all your dog nutritional needs.

^^ this!

^^ this! unless you have lots and lots of these vv

and the carcasses from breasting them out and/or cutting them up enables some mighty fine canine eating - the dogs may even

start dreaming about retrieving their dinner.

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby teamoutlaw » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:28 am

alot of the waterfowl I shoot goes to a buddy who raises bulldogs. he feeds them raw meat diet 24/7
beef, wild game, chicken, etc. no bones.
teamoutlaw
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum