Fitting avery vest on my drahthaar

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Fitting avery vest on my drahthaar

Postby BoomStick79 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:15 am

I should be getting my avery boater's parka delivered this week as well as some block surf neoprene cement. I measured my draht's chest in order to pick the correct size but was wondering just how snug the vest needs to fit. I would really appreciate some pics of properly fitted vests on your dogs. I notice a lot of pics on this forum the vests seem way too big in some areas on the dogs. Thanks in advance
BoomStick79
hunter

Re: Fitting avery vest on my drahthaar

Postby OmegaRed » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:11 pm

BoomStick79 wrote:I should be getting my avery boater's parka delivered this week as well as some block surf neoprene cement. I measured my draht's chest in order to pick the correct size but was wondering just how snug the vest needs to fit. I would really appreciate some pics of properly fitted vests on your dogs. I notice a lot of pics on this forum the vests seem way too big in some areas on the dogs. Thanks in advance

I bought an XL cabelas one for my 6 month old with plans to cut and adjust it. Chest measurement was 28.5 on my dog. Pretty much everything else is too large. From what I've read, tight enough to hold air in, but loose enough as to not restrict movement. Check out some of Jarbo's posts, that's who told me about the cabelas one.
I just pooped my pants.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby buckmeister » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:27 pm

I have every avery vest made for my lab and Chessie, they do not compare to the cabelas vest which does not use a zipper but Velcro and gives you lots of adjustments, and now that you can get the Cabelas vest in Mossy Oak Shadow grass blades they look just as cool as the avery vest. They fit better and go on much quicker avery.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby BoomStick79 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:13 pm

Guess I goofed in buying the avery vest. Hopefully I can make it work.
BoomStick79
hunter

Postby Jarbo03 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:14 pm

Taz wears the Avery boaters vest in Large. It fits him well, neck is slightly loose but not bad. Waist could be a little tighter, but overall fits better than most vest. His chest is 29"

#tazincali2014itsgonnahappen
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1385442844007.jpg
Jarbo03
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:23 pm

Bellas large neoprene vest is a perfect fit. I will take a picture of it on her tonight and post it up here tomorrow. If the vest is fitted snugly to the dog they don't get wet under it. Bella gets water about 1 to 2 inches inside the openings and that is it. I often stick my cold hands in the neck or back end of her vest to warm them up.

Her core is never wet with the tight vest. An open or loose vest is not going to retain heat well. The key to neoprene vests or suits of any kind is to have the thin layer of water under the vest stay put so it can retain the heat from the body. If the dogs body core never gets wet they stay even warmer. Think about walking in neoprene waders. Now make it so you have a temperature of 101 degrees and your swimming hard after a wounded duck in frigid water. The heat you are creating from all that work stays inside the nice little neoprene cocoon wrapped around your body and offsets the heat lost through your limbs.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:58 pm

You did not goof getting the averys vest, just a little harder to put on if it fits right. Many of the vest you see in pictures are too loose but they still will block the wind when the dog is out of the water, hopefully the Avery vest fits your DD well. The cabelas vest are longer and will block more wind but your avery vest will probably do you right and the handles to lift the dog in the boat are actually pretty nice.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:14 am

This shot shows the overall fit of the vest. I got lucky and the vest was a perfect fit for her. Bella was borderline on the vest sizing between Large and Xtra Large. I rolled the dice and ordered the large.

IMG_0451.JPG

If you take a close look you can see the only part of the vest that is not snug to her hair is the slight roll at the shoulder. That is pretty normal. Bella has no problem running, jumping, or swimming. Add in the extra safety of not having to worry about bulged openings or loose edges catching on brush while she is swimming.

IMG_0450.JPG

This picture shows the waist of the vest. Notice how it is very snug to her hair. This area gets wet about an inch under the vest even on high retrieve count days. The legs will see two or three inches of water past the vest edge, and the neck gets about an inch. This leaves close to 50% of the dog dry. More importantly it is her body core that is dry. On frozen mornings when we hunt from shore she will run in from the last retrieve of the set and roll all over in the tall grass. It dries her exposed wet areas nicely. Then it is back to the blind to wait for the next set of birds.

IMG_0449.JPG

Without the vest she gets the shakes and her teeth chatter after a few retrieves on really cold days. With the vest she can spend most of the day wet before getting the shivers. Once she starts shivering she gets inside the boat blind or ground blind and lays down in front of the heater, which usually leads to a nap until the next flock.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby BoomStick79 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:48 am

Thanks for the responses and pics. Got my vest in and it fits pretty good but due to my dogs shape I will definitely need to tailor it a bit
BoomStick79
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum