Labrador CCL knee (ACL) injury

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Labrador CCL knee (ACL) injury

Postby jimmyfly » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:12 pm

So my four year old lab has a CCL injury, what have you all done? Apparently there are a couple options.... Gold standard is a $5000 dollar surgery where they cut into the bone and has a 16 week recovery. The cheaper version is a surgery where they clean up the knee and stabilize the knee using heavy fishing line. Other people thoughts?
God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground." Genesis 1:27-29
jimmyfly
hunter

Re: Labrador CCL knee (ACL) injury

Postby labsforme » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:16 pm

Go to retrievertraining.net RTF and do a search under ACL.A wealth of information there. You have a younger dog so look to what's going to last the longest time. Many times the other knee will go too within time.Check with the best Ortho vets near you.Very important with either surgery is the rehab afterward.
Sorry to hear about the problem and pain to your dog.
Jeff
labsforme
hunter

Postby TCFarmer » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:39 pm

http://svanimal.com/

My friend thought his dog had the same injury and several people recommended Dr Aker.
TCFarmer
hunter

Postby chevyobsession » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:22 am

I went through this with my lab last winter/spring. She was a little over 5 when it happened. Her surgery was about $2400 and they did the more invasive repair. I'll see if I can't track down the actual name of the procedure. The recovery was very time consuming and hard at times but she is back to her old self. The orthodox surgeon who did it said he rarely saw the other knee do the same thing. He gave some tips and advice on how to better condition her for hunting season. For me it was well worth the time and money. I couldn't stand the thought of hunting without her.
chevyobsession
hunter

Postby 1dktrkr » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:07 pm

Very sorry to hear about your pup! My yellow lab, now 4 yrs. old, blew his first CCL at age 3 and then the second knee followed about 5 months later. I opted for the Tightrope surgery as it was less invasive and It would be the easiest on him. He has had follow up surgeries on both knees to remove meniscus that was damaged post op. It's very difficult to keep a young high strung lab calm.

My guy is now on the recovery trail from his last surgery 1.5 months ago. I have kept him out of action this entire season. He willl walk and play just fine, but I'm not real confident that he will ever return to action again.

My advice would be to go slow on the recovery. I think either procedure will work, but you've got to give the dog a lot of time to recover. Rehab, rehab, rehab... When they say leash walks only-live it.

Good Luck! I miss mine every time out.
1dktrkr
hunter

Postby jerdogg » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:13 pm

I had this happen to my first lab. He was about 5 when it happened. Tplo surgery is what I had done. Cost about 3700.00 with meds and Dr visits. A year to the day the other went! Needless to say I had a bionic dog that never went back to the duck blind!! :no: Get opinions from othe vets if you can. I was directed to see the best in new york, which just happened to be about 30min away. Good luck.
jerdogg
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:30 am

I had this happen to my lab when she was 3, she is now 7. I saw about 2-3 vets, and they all said the same thing and recommended me to an ortho in my area who was supposedly great. I made the appt to see the ortho and started saving my pennies for the TLPO surgery. I took her in, the vet looked her over, asked me if I hunted her, and then talked me OUT of doing the surgery. She went through PT for about 6 months, and limped pretty bad for awhile, but its never bothered her since. Hers was ruptured, but not torn, apperently thats the big difference. It sucked for awhile, for 45 days he literally didn't want her to walk. She was on a leash, or in her crate 24 hours a day. I thought she was going to go crazy, but it all worked out in the end.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby LEOJR73 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:25 pm

I I I vivid ivied v I invite vi g I I Gigi, ciuhgc(,I I it I , guide c c civooo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In duck hunting, there's world champion duck callers and world champion duck killers - I'm a duck killer!
LEOJR73
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum