Dog wont go in blind with vest on

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Dog wont go in blind with vest on

Postby DUCK HUNTER123 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:32 am

Guys,

Been working with my pup all summer. With the winter in swing I am really able to work with him with the vest on. He doesnt like having anything on him. Well after some training sessions and as always he gets the hang of it and we move on. Well last night I decided to introduce the lay out blind that we have never had a problem with. At first he had no problem getting into it with the vest on. At one session I told him to kennel into the blind and when he did the vest snared the blind and he got hung up. Well now he refuses to get into it when the vest is on. I am able to through a bumper into it and he will get it but as soon as he feels the vest touch the blind he backs out. I went to get the shock collar to help with the issue and it was dead. So I had to suspend the lesson for the night. But now I feel that he may have gotten the best of me. Any Ideas?

Thanks
Kevin
DUCK HUNTER123
hunter
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:51 am
Location: NORTHERN KY


Re: Dog wont go in blind with vest on

Postby Holeinmywaders » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:52 am

Personally I would be hesitant about shocking him for this.

I might just go without the vest for awhile and then reintroduce it later. I am a nobody but that is my opinion. I have been wrong on lots of things so take it for what its worth.
User avatar
Holeinmywaders
hunter
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:38 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Dog wont go in blind with vest on

Postby mauserfan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:52 am

I have just one question-Why the vest?....mauser :wink:
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
User avatar
mauserfan
hunter
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:37 am
Location: Northern Minnesota

Re: Dog wont go in blind with vest on

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:20 am

Good place for treats and praise as incentive. Remember this: "dogs will do things that give them pleasure and avoid things that give them displeasure." Most everything they will ever do is a conditioned response. Attempt to make everything you teach them a pleasureable event.
Do not use the shock collar or he won't go near the layout.
User avatar
tenfingergrip
hunter
 
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:43 pm
Location: Eastern NC

Re: Dog wont go in blind with vest on

Postby Labs » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:48 am

mauserfan wrote:I have just one question-Why the vest?....mauser :wink:


X2....Lab right? Kentucky right? Shouldn't need a vest in a layout....
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter
 
Posts: 1196
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:42 pm
Location: Mayer, MN

Re: Dog wont go in blind with vest on

Postby gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:05 am

First thing is, why put the dog in a lay out blind? Dangerous as Hell.

Second thing is, why put a vest on a dog that's apparently field hunting?

Third, like the others have said, in less he's making looooong water retrieves, he shouldn't need a vest.

Down him alongside the blind.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
User avatar
gonehuntin'
hunter
 
Posts: 2233
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: Dog wont go in blind with vest on

Postby Duckdon » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:12 am

Ditto: Don't shock him for that.
Follow the others advice. don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
User avatar
Duckdon
hunter
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:38 am
Location: Chugiak, Alaska

Re: Dog wont go in blind with vest on

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:18 am

Dogs don't only get wet in water. Rain and snow in a field can also soak a dog and reduce his temp. You also see many guys put a white vest on there dog when hunting snow geese to act as both camo when the dog is out of the blind and an attractant.


When you say Layout blind do you mean a seperate dog blind or an actual layout blind?

You just have to work the dog through it. Also look at the blind and see if there are any modifications you can make that will resolve the hangup problem. My springer will snag her vest on stuff all the time but that doesn't slow her down a bit.
User avatar
dakotashooter2
hunter
 
Posts: 1943
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:00 pm

Re: Dog wont go in blind with vest on

Postby Duckdon » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:59 am

DUCK HUNTER123 wrote:Guys,

Been working with my pup all summer. With the winter in swing I am really able to work with him with the vest on. He doesnt like having anything on him. Well after some training sessions and as always he gets the hang of it and we move on. Well last night I decided to introduce the lay out blind that we have never had a problem with. At first he had no problem getting into it with the vest on. At one session I told him to kennel into the blind and when he did the vest snared the blind and he got hung up. Well now he refuses to get into it when the vest is on. I am able to through a bumper into it and he will get it but as soon as he feels the vest touch the blind he backs out. I went to get the shock collar to help with the issue and it was dead. So I had to suspend the lesson for the night. But now I feel that he may have gotten the best of me. Any Ideas?

Thanks
Kevin


Question, How does he do with the vest on when he is busting cover? Have you tried that yet? I suspect he will get use to the vest and it will be fine. Most dogs look and walk like their pants are full the first couple times they have it on. Once they get it, it's like putting on their collar and grabbing your shotgun.
I can't imagine why using a shock collar to introduce the vest would come to mind. I am glad it was dead. Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
User avatar
Duckdon
hunter
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:38 am
Location: Chugiak, Alaska

Re: Dog wont go in blind with vest on

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:25 am

Pieces of hot dog and that problem will be solved in not time at all. Another vote for postive rewards with food and praise. If the dog hopes to get a treat every time he will jump into that layout blind with a will.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
User avatar
ScaupHunter
hunter
 
Posts: 5917
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 am

Re: Dog wont go in blind with vest on

Postby DUCK HUNTER123 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:51 am

Labs wrote:
mauserfan wrote:I have just one question-Why the vest?....mauser :wink:


X2....Lab right? Kentucky right? Shouldn't need a vest in a layout....



I use the vest because I hunt the Ohio River and the current can be pretty bad. I use the combination of the blind and the vest because I have almost 2 thousand acres of corn the butts right up to the river. Do temps would you guys start using your all vest. Yesterday morning it was 19 degrees out.
DUCK HUNTER123
hunter
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:51 am
Location: NORTHERN KY

Re: Dog wont go in blind with vest on

Postby DUCK HUNTER123 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:56 am

Duckdon wrote:
DUCK HUNTER123 wrote:Guys,

Been working with my pup all summer. With the winter in swing I am really able to work with him with the vest on. He doesnt like having anything on him. Well after some training sessions and as always he gets the hang of it and we move on. Well last night I decided to introduce the lay out blind that we have never had a problem with. At first he had no problem getting into it with the vest on. At one session I told him to kennel into the blind and when he did the vest snared the blind and he got hung up. Well now he refuses to get into it when the vest is on. I am able to through a bumper into it and he will get it but as soon as he feels the vest touch the blind he backs out. I went to get the shock collar to help with the issue and it was dead. So I had to suspend the lesson for the night. But now I feel that he may have gotten the best of me. Any Ideas?

Thanks
Kevin


Question, How does he do with the vest on when he is busting cover? Have you tried that yet? I suspect he will get use to the vest and it will be fine. Most dogs look and walk like their pants are full the first couple times they have it on. Once they get it, it's like putting on their collar and grabbing your shotgun.
I can't imagine why using a shock collar to introduce the vest would come to mind. I am glad it was dead. Don



Don,

I too am glad it was dead. I got in my head to force him, and I know better. Maybe my frustation got the best of me. After awhile of wearing the vest he thought no more about it. iF I take off the vest he will go right into the blind. I have worked him out of cover but not with the vest, the temps were to high at the time.
DUCK HUNTER123
hunter
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:51 am
Location: NORTHERN KY

Re: Dog wont go in blind with vest on

Postby gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:00 am

Vest makes complete sense then, the dog in the blind doesn't. Keep him outside and throw a few corn stalks on him. Dogs laying alongside a blind don't spook ducks or geese.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
User avatar
gonehuntin'
hunter
 
Posts: 2233
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:48 pm

Re: Dog wont go in blind with vest on

Postby DUCK HUNTER123 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:10 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Vest makes complete sense then, the dog in the blind doesn't. Keep him outside and throw a few corn stalks on him. Dogs laying alongside a blind don't spook ducks or geese.



Thats what I was thinking. Thanks for confirming that.
DUCK HUNTER123
hunter
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:51 am
Location: NORTHERN KY

Re: Dog wont go in blind with vest on

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:28 pm

I put a vest on Bella as soon as the water drops into the high 40's. Anything higher than that and she doesn't ever get the shakes or shivers so I figure she doesn't need it.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
User avatar
ScaupHunter
hunter
 
Posts: 5917
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 am

Re: Dog wont go in blind with vest on

Postby Boatman » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:47 pm

Corn stalks can stab a dog as well a barb wire fence, keep the vest,it's in your dogs best interest. There not just for cold weather.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
User avatar
Boatman
hunter
 
Posts: 1131
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 4:10 pm
Location: Atlantic

Re: Dog wont go in blind with vest on

Postby Raves24 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:12 pm

Same thing happen to my dog this year. Lets be clear, my dog loves the dog blind. Put a vest on him one morning when it was snowing, and told him to kennel. The vest got caught every time he tried to get in the dog blind from the front or back. He went balistic and freaked out, mostly my fault becuase I was getting angry with him and yelling with him. This was his first field hunt and first time trying to get into the blind with it on. I took it off and had a great hunt. I thought to myself afterward...i don't really think he needed it uless he is in the water. I'm guessing with more practice he would have done better.
User avatar
Raves24
hunter
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:37 pm
Location: Kaukauna, WI

Re: Dog wont go in blind with vest on

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:02 am

The moral of this thread is practice with the dog before making a change in your hunting. Dogs don't have deductive reasoning. To then jumping in the blind with a dog vest on is something totally new. When it doesn't work, they cannot figure out why, they just know they don't like it.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
User avatar
ScaupHunter
hunter
 
Posts: 5917
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 am

Re: Dog wont go in blind with vest on

Postby Minneguy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:50 pm

Our old lab wouldn't go into his hideaway when he had his vest on, it took me 3 weeks of work without the vest to get him to retry with the beat then after that a few more weeks and he would hide like nothing. Just be patient and keep trying. Remember positive association is a wonderful thing!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minneguy
hunter
 
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:18 pm

Re: Dog wont go in blind with vest on

Postby FFT » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:47 pm

I toss a t_bone steak and some twinkies in there.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2
FFT
hunter
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:33 am
Location: Barnegat Bay, NJ


Return to Hunting Dog Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Duck Diver and 4 guests