Looking For Trainer Suggestions In MN (Northern)

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Looking For Trainer Suggestions In MN (Northern)

Postby gunshow » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:55 am

Not because I'm lazy, but because I suck at it and am not a professional. I want our dog to have a chance at some very good training. She is a 3 m/o yellow lab and we've had her for 5 weeks now. We've been doing some very basic training with her.
Clicker training for sit and it has worked wonders. If there is any command she knows it's sit. Albeit she doesn't do it 100% of the time and that is what I want and feel that a pro trainer can get her to that level. That level of obeying all commands (general obedience and hunting related), that I just can't get her to.

So I'm asking for suggestions on trainers in the northern MN area that you would suggest. I'm looking for someone between St Cloud and Bemidji if possible. Willow Creek Kennels is an outfit near Little Falls that one person has mentioned. They specialize in GSP's but do train others as well. Anyone know Chad Hines or can comment on his outfit?

Anything else out there you can suggest?
gunshow
hunter

Re: Looking For Trainer Suggestions In MN (Northern)

Postby Labs » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:39 am

Craig Klein at Fischer Kennels....does some nice work.

http://www.fischerskennels.com/
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby gunshow » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:44 pm

Labs wrote:Craig Klein at Fischer Kennels....does some nice work.

http://www.fischerskennels.com/

Thanks, email sent. Anyone else?
gunshow
hunter

Postby Chaws » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:02 pm

Craig is a decent trainer, fairly young in the professional game.

I'd recommend either Matt Johnson http://duckwaterretrievers.homestead.com/, he's headed down to Texas for the winter just after Christmas/New Years. I'd recommend Matt if you'd like to send the dog to a trainer and get the most out of the time frame and age of the dog.

Also, Tim Springer and Dynamic Retrievers. He did an excellent job with the basics over a winter trip for one of my dogs. He's down in TX already but you could always ship a dog down. Costs a little more to ship but there are a couple dog transport companies that will be making a couple trips a month from the MN area down to TX.

I don't know if I'd recommend someone that doesn't go south for the winter. That typically means they don't have the clientele or the reputation for producing well trained dogs typically. Most all other pro's are down south already. Both of the above summer around the metro area. Tim is up by Hugo and Matt is SW of the metro.
Are you concerned about the future of hunting and access to land? Let your voice be heard. Visit http://.
Chaws
hunter

Postby j towne » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:52 pm

Another vote for Craig
Hunting the Chesapeake with Chesapeake's.
Captain Thor of the Chesapeake **, MH, WDQ (Q 3rd)
Captain Thor's Gracie girl MH, WDQ
Captain Thor's Lulu Belle **, WDQ (Q JAM, D 2nd)
j towne
hunter

Postby gunshow » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:59 pm

Chaws wrote:I don't know if I'd recommend someone that doesn't go south for the winter. That typically means they don't have the clientele or the reputation for producing well trained dogs typically. Most all other pro's are down south already.

Isn't Tom Dokken like world renown for his training? I didn't see anything on his site about leaving for the south unless I missed something. Don't get me wrong, it only makes sense to do it. But maybe those that are just that good don't need to go down south??

Thanks for the info.....keep em coming
gunshow
hunter

Postby Minneguy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:43 pm

How far north are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minneguy
hunter

Postby gunshow » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:20 pm

Brainerd area
gunshow
hunter

Postby Minneguy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:30 am

Too bad your not near the cities my uncle is a trainer. Before he started training, we had 3 dogs trained at LeBlancs over the years, they all came back awesome hunters after just one time through. They did 2 labs and a gsp for us. Great guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minneguy
hunter

Postby Chaws » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:14 am

gunshow wrote:
Chaws wrote:I don't know if I'd recommend someone that doesn't go south for the winter. That typically means they don't have the clientele or the reputation for producing well trained dogs typically. Most all other pro's are down south already.

Isn't Tom Dokken like world renown for his training? I didn't see anything on his site about leaving for the south unless I missed something. Don't get me wrong, it only makes sense to do it. But maybe those that are just that good don't need to go down south??

Thanks for the info.....keep em coming

Dokken is a factor of marketing. I run hunt tests and field trials and being around that many dog people over the years, stories of trainers and what they produce get around and I've heard far more pro's receiving dogs that were with Dokken that were then sent to a new pro to fix problems. Just because he has a book and a rubber ducky bumper for sale doesn't mean he's good.
Are you concerned about the future of hunting and access to land? Let your voice be heard. Visit http://.
Chaws
hunter

Postby Chaws » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:16 am

Training a good dog requires exposure to water. Pretty hard to do that when the water is solid up north here during the winter. Also exposing the dog to cover and having them hunt in cover like you want them to in the field is difficult up north when it's covered in snow. Snow covered grasses is fine to expose a dog to if you're an upland hunter, however training in it all winter that snow will get deep which exposure to it day after day is very tough on a dogs body.
Chaws
hunter

Postby gunshow » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:18 am

If I sent her down to Texas she would be just 4 months old.
Is that too young? Would I get my money's worth out of it at that young age?
gunshow
hunter

Postby cn44 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:29 am

Keep her until she's older, a pro trainer won't get much done with her at that age. I recommend Training a Retriever Puppy by Bill Hilmann. Very good DVD and stresses steadiness from the get go. Each of his "days" is really a training session which is about 3 days apart. With an older pup I would go every 2 days as a training session.
cn44
hunter

Postby gunshow » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:04 am

cn44 wrote:Keep her until she's older, a pro trainer won't get much done with her at that age. I recommend Training a Retriever Puppy by Bill Hilmann. Very good DVD and stresses steadiness from the get go. Each of his "days" is really a training session which is about 3 days apart. With an older pup I would go every 2 days as a training session.

I appreciate your input. It seems like there is an argument for both sides of the "when should I send my pup to a pro" debate. I'm sure a lot of the pros will say yeah send her on over because it's money in their pockets but also I've read testimonials of the benefits of getting them to a pro asap. Also, I live in the frozen tundra and training is limited. If I did send her she would be down in Texas until May, which would be perfect for me to pick up the training from May up until opener in Sept back in MN....then of course for the rest of her life.

I'm going to talk to the trainer today and ask some more questions but he is known for training younger pups and had a great year this year with dogs. I'm leaning towards sending....any more thoughts anyone?
gunshow
hunter

Postby Chaws » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:11 am

What pro have you been talking to?

Getting a pup some marking experience and some water time down south at a young age is very invaluable. A lot of people will say they stop marking their dogs when they're teathing, but usually I keep marking them with fresh birds the whole way through. Some say it'll cause mouth habits but that can easily be cleared up. The pup will start popping teeth pretty soon so once they get to their adult teeth, the dog and the pro will have a good bond by then making basic yard work easier than trying to jump into that process if the dog was immediately 6 months old when they first put their hands on the dog. Also, many pro's will give a discounted rate for dogs younger than 5 or 6 months because they know all they're doing is puppy work and not full yard work and heavy training.
Chaws
hunter

Postby gunshow » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:19 am

Chaws wrote:What pro have you been talking to?

Matt Johnson - DuckWater Retreivers
gunshow
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum