First Timer, who needs some tips, and help!

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

First Timer, who needs some tips, and help!

Postby Rice3 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:23 pm

So I just started training my dog and he loves it. He has been paying attention great and is doing great! Sit, stay, here are easy for him now and I have started the process to teach him to heel. We are having a great week of training. I spend about an hour to two hours a day with him (Is this to long? Tips on this, PLEASE). And after about 4 or 5 days of great work the next day it was like he forgot some stuff that he had done perfect the days before. Is this a regular thing or am I doing something wrong? If you have any tips for teaching heeling to, please feel free to share. Thank you! :thumbsup:
Rice3
Newb

Re: First Timer, who needs some tips, and help!

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:34 pm

Breed? How old? hunting lines?

2 to 4 hours is way to long. Most training sessions are 10 to 20 minutes with 10 to 15 being pretty normal. A young dog looses attention span pretty quickly.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Rice3 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:54 pm

He is a black lab/Catahoula mix and catches on well. He is almost two which i know was a late start but I'm still happy with his ability. His parents were bread for coyote hunting, if this is what you mean by hunting lines. I am new to this and don't know all terms but, have been researching.
Rice3
Newb

Postby Mad Dog 21 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:45 am

ScaupHunter wrote:Breed? How old? hunting lines?

2 to 4 hours is way to long. Most training sessions are 10 to 20 minutes with 10 to 15 being pretty normal. A young dog looses attention span pretty quickly.

Agreed, short sessions with good but fun discipline is best. They loose focus after 5min while actively training at that specific age. Also, they are still teenagers so they think they know it all but really don't!!! They are going to slip up until they die brother. Been training MWD's for about 10yrs. Not a pro but enough to get by.
Mad Dog 21
hunter

Postby MoBrad » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:24 am

I really like Bill Hillman's training series, I'm biased, I got my dog from him, but I really respect the way he does it. Check his stuff out, he has one series that he shows, exactly, what he does with a new puppy from the first day of training through I think 24 days. Its surprising how low key and easy he is and his success speaks for itself.
MoBrad
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:39 am

I assume you are working with a pup or dog having no prior training. 1-2 hours each day is overload on steroids! 10-15 minute sessions every other day will get you improved results. Make sure your pup is put up in his crate for an hour before training. Put him on lead after taking him out and "air him out" before doing any training. Minimize distraction during training with a young pup especially. Distracrion can be added later. Be posirive, lots of praise for desired behavior achieved. Put pup back in crate fro about an hour after training session is completed.

DO NOT TIRE HIM OUT NOR BORE HIM WITH TRAINING. Make it fun for him and you. ALWAYS LEAVE HIM WANTING MORE! I think you will see a better overall attitude, learning curve, and retention of skills covered by using this lighter schedule with him. Also, consiser your training a never ending loop of new skills but always returning to and reinforcing previously learned skills, doing so be very crucial to both retention and foundationally based expansion of skill sets. Think of "training" your dog as a life long work in progress as opposed to some concrete stage of completion that you aspire to achieve. Consider yourself and your dog as a team and work as such together.

Good luck and good training :thumbsup:

Cheers mate, :beer:
Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby Rice3 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:52 pm

Any tips on making your dog bumper crazy?
Rice3
Newb

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:33 pm

If he is going to be a bird dog, Get some birds and make him Bird Crazy.
It takes birds to make bird dogs.....

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum