Kids training dogs

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Kids training dogs

Postby dhudson29 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:31 am

Long time reader here. We are getting a new pup at Christmas, a boykin. My kids have no idea, they think they are getting one in the middle of the year next year. They will be super pumped. My question is, are there any books that are kid friendly for training a dog? My son is 7 and wants to help train this dog. I am more concerned with him helping with obedience training and fun basic puppy retriever training. Do any of you have experience with your kids helping you train? I will spend time each day with the dog. But I know my son is going to want to do his own "training" after school before I get home each day. Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions.
Daniel
Semper Fi
dhudson29
hunter

Re: Kids training dogs

Postby usmcduckn » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:36 am

Not sure how many other people have tried it, but I let me 6 year old help me with a lab last year...total nightmare. I was even present with her the whole time. The dog wanted to make every outing completely play time. Or if she came out to help his attention was gone.

Don't get me wrong...after our 10 minute sessions she made him happy throwing the bumper and they both thoroughly enjoyed it, but DURING the session she made it pretty difficult on me. Just my 2 cents
usmcduckn
hunter

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:48 am

My son has been pulling strings on wingers since he was 4. Have them help set up and make sure to keep it fun for them. As far as the actual training piece, I would handle it yourself. He'll need to be consistant with your commands as well as enforcing them.
A little too much to expect from him at this age. Good luck and keepit fun.
Preserve game, use a well trained retriever.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:50 am

I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby dhudson29 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:52 am

Thanks. The actual hunt training will be done by me. I am actually looking for a book that my son can read so he can teach basic obedience. The retrieving will be more just having fun with the two of them.
Semper Fi
dhudson29
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum