When to switch puppy food? (to different brand)

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

When to switch puppy food? (to different brand)

Postby GurrCentral » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:57 pm

Will be picking up our puppy in a week and the breeder has them on Nutra Nuggets. We are thinking we want to switch him to Kirkland Super Premium puppy (that i can get at costco). any thoughts? was thinking maybe a month or so after we get him start to phase to the new puppy food? I have seen better reviews of the Kirkland. thanks!
GurrCentral
Newb

Re: When to switch puppy food? (to different brand)

Postby Duckdon » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:54 am

Who makes the Kirkland Super Premium puppy chow? I have not looked at Kirkland.
As far as phasing out the old and in with the new. I mix them with different ratios as I make the change over a week or so. My dogs live in the house so the runs is something I try to avoid. Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:21 pm

What is the breed? If it is one of the larger hunting breeds (labs, etc vs the smaller spaniels) I would want to see if Kirkland (like Duckdon I'm not familar with it) has a Large Breed Puppy food vs the regular puppy food.

If we are changing from puppy to adult we slowly transition over a couple of weeks - 25% new food to 75% old food, then 50 / 50, then 75 / 25, then 100% new. If you take it slow you shouldn't need to worry about the pup having the runs from the new food.
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Joetpr » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:17 am

Everybody will have their own opinion on this subject and preference.

I use Nutro High Endurance. 30/20 mixture and 4.5/5 star rating from DogFoodAdvisor.com
I think I'm gonna switch next back to Diamond Extreme Athlete b/c it has the best rating, $36 a bag, and has the highest protein to fat ratio that needed now during duck season.

Here's how the common known brands stack up:

Nutro High Endurace 30/20 ratio--- 4.5/5
Purina Pro Plan 30/20 --- 2.5/5 (STAY AWAY FROM THIS TRASH IMO)
Blue Buffalo (pretty much any ratio)--- 4.5/5
Kirkland 30/18 ratio--- 4/5 (I think Diamond makes it based on a diamond recall also included kirkland)
Diamond Extreme Athlete 32/25 ratio --- 5/5
Joetpr
hunter

Postby TCFarmer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:13 pm

Joetpr wrote:Purina Pro Plan 30/20 --- 2.5/5 (STAY AWAY FROM THIS TRASH IMO)

Could you please explain to me why this food is trash?

Besides the fact that some guy with no experience or education in animal nutrition or health doesn't like it based solely on ingredients.
Is it because he makes assumptions about the meat content of foods?
Is it because he assumes that dogs are carnivores and don't eat grains?
TCFarmer
hunter

Postby Joetpr » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:15 pm

TCFarmer wrote:

Besides the fact that some guy with no experience or education in animal nutrition or health doesn't like it based solely on ingredients.

Well first of all b/c of past experience with it. My dog used it for 3 bags b/c I thought it was good and was wrong. FIrst problem I encountered was his poop. Tons of it and runny. Not because the foot was switched b/c this continued the whole time he at PPSport. Second drawback I experienced was endurance. My dog would plain wear out insanely fast. Maybe because all the ingredients in PPSport are second rate and pretty much trash. Thirdly my dogs coat was dull and dry. It would take him forever to dry off because the second rate ingredients didn't help him produce a shiny oily undercoat that would repel water.

Now obviously PPSport is better than nunn-better but when you have a dog that you've put countless hours into training and money why would you not want the absolute best available for the dog.

Pro Plan Sport in a nut-shell is a $25 bag of dog food but because they have advertisements everywhere their $25 bag turns into $46.

But don't take my word for it. This article explains how Purina Pro Plan Sport is Trash.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food- ... lan-sport/
Joetpr
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:34 pm

Joetpr wrote:
TCFarmer wrote:

Well first of all b/c of past experience with it. My dog used it for 3 bags b/c I thought it was good and was wrong. FIrst problem I encountered was his poop. Tons of it and runny. Not because the foot was switched b/c this continued the whole time he at PPSport. Second drawback I experienced was endurance. My dog would plain wear out insanely fast. Maybe because all the ingredients in PPSport are second rate and pretty much trash. Thirdly my dogs coat was dull and dry. It would take him forever to dry off because the second rate ingredients didn't help him produce a shiny oily undercoat that would repel water.

Now obviously PPSport is better than nunn-better but when you have a dog that you've put countless hours into training and money why would you not want the absolute best available for the dog.

Pro Plan Sport in a nut-shell is a $25 bag of dog food but because they have advertisements everywhere their $25 bag turns into $46.

But don't take my word for it. This article explains how Purina Pro Plan Sport is Trash.

TC Farmer .... you beat me to it!

First off ... this is YOUR dog's experience with this food .... not all foods work for all dogs. We have fed PPP (ProPlan's 30/20 food) for 20+ years and our dogs are healthy, good coats and LOTS of endurance. If the food was trash due you think that pro's would be feeding it to clients dogs? Even if they were to be getting a break on the price, why would they feed a food that would effect the client's dogs overall health which would then be affecting their trial success rate?

Second .... the dog food advisor's advice is worth about as much as it cost you to read it .... zero!
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:35 pm

Last edited by Dakota Creek on Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby TCFarmer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:04 pm

Joetpr wrote:
TCFarmer wrote:

Clearly you had a bad experience with PPP, that hardly makes it trash.

Please show me what ingredient in PPP is second rate and trash. Or is that just what some guy that has a website says?

Clearly all those field trial dogs are fed crap because nobody has invested any time or money into them.

That article only shows what one person with a bias thinks. He has no educational or professional credentials when it comes to dog food or dog nutrition.
TCFarmer
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:01 am

An FYI for the unaware: the Dog Food Analysis site rates food labels under the assumption of the worst case allowable by law, rather than looking at a manufacturer's actual practices, and according to the editors' own amateur biases, which often conflict with those of highly trained, board certified canine nutritionist.

Pro Plan's 30/20 is a case in point. DFA gigs it heavily for listing "chicken" (rather than "chicken meal") as the first (most content by weight) ingredient, because labeling law allows ingredients to be listed pre-proccessing weight, and meat contains a lot of water weight that Purina could be counting. But in actuality chicken is also first by what Purina has called "as fed" weight. PP 30/20 also contains corn, which netspurts are somehow convinced is "filler," but real experts know to be of great nutritional value when properly prepared. PP is also gigged for listing "animal fat," which could by law be from most any animal, but is by practice the fat of whatever animal provides the primary protein source: in the 30/20's case, chicken. Which the netspurts at DFA highly approve of.

And so it goes.

Could, I suppose, be true that Joe's dog did as poorly as he's said on PP 30/20, perhaps even because of it. But the experience of a great many others, self included, has been quite the opposite. Hard to imagine so many top trial pros would risk their reputations on "trash," and I know my guys, who hunt hard daily in season, have done better on it than any of the several other highly recommended feeds I've tried.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:45 am

Joetpr wrote:Everybody will have their own opinion on this subject and preference.

I use Nutro High Endurance. 30/20 mixture and 4.5/5 star rating from DogFoodAdvisor.com
I think I'm gonna switch next back to Diamond Extreme Athlete b/c it has the best rating, $36 a bag, and has the highest protein to fat ratio that needed now during duck season.

Here's how the common known brands stack up:

Nutro High Endurace 30/20 ratio--- 4.5/5
Purina Pro Plan 30/20 --- 2.5/5 (STAY AWAY FROM THIS TRASH IMO)
Blue Buffalo (pretty much any ratio)--- 4.5/5
Kirkland 30/18 ratio--- 4/5 (I think Diamond makes it based on a diamond recall also included kirkland)
Diamond Extreme Athlete 32/25 ratio --- 5/5

This your first gundog?
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby ACooper » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:55 am

Dogfoodadvisor is run by a dentist, it's a complete joke.
ACooper
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum