Training on a football field

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Training on a football field

Postby vegardar » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:07 pm

Hi.
Was just wondering if anybody have any experience in training on a football field? I´m thinking about training my new puppy on Artificial turf football fields in my area, but I´m abit afraid that the ground will hurt the dogs feet?

Vegard
vegardar
hunter

Re: Training on a football field

Postby DCronk » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:17 pm

I can't imagine it would hurt the pup. I know for sure my dog runs on way worse terrain in the marsh, woods, cut bean or corn fields. Not to mention my gravel driveway. If you try walking on the turf barefoot you will find it's actually pretty cushy.
DCronk
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:54 pm

i don't think it will hurt the pup now but i would be more worried about the what would happen later with the pups joints running on something that is that hard.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:07 pm

I've trained on a football field with all my pups on the weekends , remember too bring poo bags or you might not be welcome back . These fields were of natural turf though . Others wise they are of great help with pups , you will always know the yards and the grass is short and it builds confidence in the puppy's .
dogyak
hunter

Postby j towne » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:56 pm

cant you find natural grass field somewhere. If you have to train on field please clean up and poop and poor water wherever it pees.
Hunting the Chesapeake with Chesapeake's.
Captain Thor of the Chesapeake **, MH, WDQ (Q 3rd)
Captain Thor's Gracie girl MH, WDQ
Captain Thor's Lulu Belle **, WDQ (Q JAM, D 2nd)
j towne
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:58 am

Would think you'll get the boot from artificial turf for sanitation reasons, regardless.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby crackerd » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:04 am

'Ceptin' for the blue turf at Boise, Rick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC-F14VWIog
'Course, that dog also had his gameface on - not his pudelpointer training mug...

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:15 am

crackerd wrote:'Ceptin' for the blue turf at Boise, Rick: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC-F14VWIog
'Course, that dog also had his gameface on - not his pudelpointer training mug...

MG

Well,.. almost M.G.,- 'Cept you forgot about another field that wouldn't matter because it's a shade of Crimson,..err, I mean--Auburn-ish with Crimson splatters all over it :wink:
:devil:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby crackerd » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:19 am

Thanks a lot, Swamp. My mo(u)rning is now complete - it's official: the Harmonic Cow College Convergence comes along once every 41 years. Doesn't hurt any less now than it did then, though.

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:21 am

crackerd wrote:Thanks a lot, Swamp. My mo(u)rning is now complete - it's official: the Harmonic Cow College Convergence comes along once every 41 years. Doesn't hurt any less now than it did then, though.

MG

:lol3:
Couldn't resist.
(Know you'd have done it to me if ya' had the chance :yes: :hi: )
:beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Hunting Dog Forum