6 month old lab stopped retrieving

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

6 month old lab stopped retrieving

Postby oktakem » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:29 pm

I was hoping some of you guys may be able to help me. I have a yellow lab pup that is 6 months old. Had him since he was 10 weeks old. He hasn't hunted, and I had no intention of hunting him until the 2014/15 season. He has great blood lines. He is the 3rd lab I've owned/trained, my last one being spectacular (not a compliment to me at all, he was just a great learner). Well, Friday while training with a dead duck he completely stopped retrieving. We went to the dummy and even to a tennis ball. Tried making it a competition with the other two non retriever dogs.....nothing. He'd run over sniff it and walk back to heal. Everything was going great. Obedience, retrieving, everything. Very smart dog!! What is your opinion of what I did wrong? Should I consider a professional trainer? Can't really afford it!! Any help would be appreciated. I live in St. Louis as an fyi.
Pass along your love for the outdoors, like someone did for you, and enjoy it with your children. They are our greatest gift from God!
oktakem
hunter

Re: 6 month old lab stopped retrieving

Postby Dakota Creek » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:36 pm

At 6 months old, could be losing puppy teeth and mouth could be sore .......
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:11 pm

Dakota Creek wrote:At 6 months old, could be losing puppy teeth and mouth could be sore .......

X2 :thumbsup:
dogyak
hunter

Postby oktakem » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:20 pm

Thank you very much. It was so immediate. Hoping that's all it is. You have a great holiday season.
Pass along your love for the outdoors, like someone did for you, and enjoy it with your children. They are our greatest gift from God!
oktakem
hunter

Postby oktakem » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:32 pm

Should I shut down retrieving training? If so for how long?
oktakem
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:40 pm

While waiting on your pup to go through the teething ... This is the perfect opportunity to continue work on obedience training!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:54 pm

Let him get beyond issues related to mouth soreness and the completions of his adult teeth coming in. If he continues to show less than driven interest in terms of retrieving, then consider putting him through force fetch conditioning. That combination should remedy your problem! Good luck with him and let us know how it works out.
Cheers Mate,
Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby Minneguy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:07 pm

Another question for ya, how long were you out there? The gsp I'm working with now will go all day, but my Aussie will only retrieve for 30 mins and then we have to switch. I bet it's the teeth, but if it's not he may have lost interest in the 'game'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minneguy
hunter

Postby oktakem » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:58 pm

Thank you all for your help. I'm certainly no pro at this and from the looks of things you guys are. that's why I asked. Helps to "know" the right people. The day before he went for 15 minutes. We finish with a little rewarding "playtime". Usually with a tennis ball. He knows the difference! the next day absolutely nothing! We walked around the block today and he did fine with heal and what a guy showed me, and I liked, "post', which is when I stop walking and/or when he brings the bird back to me he sits in a healing position facing the direction I face. He's very smart and has picked up everything really quickly. He's always very excited to work, sometimes a little too excited as he will dribble lol.
oktakem
hunter

Postby mauserfan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:06 am

I'll add just one more observation. With my labs, I would stop the retrieving session as they were appearing to peak in interest. They would be all wound up and excited when I would stop. They'd be jumping for the dummy when we'd stop. Some days it'd be 10 minutes and the next day 20. Also, I'm not an expert but I had the ear of a professional when needed. Just another suggestion. Best of luck....mauser
The greatest duck call known to mankind?....A fresh cup of coffee from the Thermos.
mauserfan
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum