Breeding Questions

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Breeding Questions

Postby KhrisKT » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:55 am

I have a golden retriever that is currently 1 1/2 years old and this is the first year I have taken him hunting with me. First dove and now during duck season. He is doing great! He loves every bit of it. Definitely not perfect, breaks a few times on the gun, I have to make him calm down a bit here and there, but overall I cant complain and am having a blast this year with him.

That being said, we always wanted to look into breeding him. We know there are a lot of costs involved with getting his clearances and registered, etc. He comes from a great hunting line, his sire is Emberain Ace http://www.platteriverretrievers.com/males.html.

I want to get him at least the junior hunting title, which I heard is not too difficult for a decently trained pup.

Can anyone who has experience with this give me some basics of how to get started getting prepared to breed him, a ballpark area of what the costs are involved, and any tips/suggestions/advice? I would greatly appreciate it and would love to be able to breed him and keep producing great hunting golden retrievers, i love the breed! And eventually I want one of his puppies as well.

Thanks in advance for any info!
KhrisKT
hunter

Re: Breeding Questions

Postby sharris » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:18 pm

First thing to do is check your registration papers (it sounds from your post like you may not have done this?). I thought Theresa and Nick only sold their dogs with limited registration. If that's the case the litters can't be registered as purebred and your costs won't be worth the little you'd get for a stud fee.

Glad to hear your dog is doing well and you are happy with him. My dog is a half sibling and is also doing great and will be running seasoned tests this spring. We were busy running blinds over the lunch hour and it's nice to see the continued progress.
sharris
hunter

Postby KhrisKT » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:27 pm

We haven't checked into all those details yet, but we do have the option to pay for full registration later if we do actually want to breed him and move forward with that commitment.
KhrisKT
hunter

Postby sharris » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:43 pm

Double check with Theresa what her requirements are for full registration before you get too far into this since that is the limiting factor. As far as health clearances take a look at what clearances she runs on her dogs and do the same (she tests for all the major stuff). She could probably tell you what it costs to run the clearances since she's done them on several dogs.
sharris
hunter

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:01 pm

At a minimum, you need to look at the following heath tests:

Hip Dysplasia
■OFA Evaluation - OR
■OVC Evaluation (prior to January 1 2013) - OR
■PennHIP Evaluation

Cost $200-400 depending on test and vet accomplishing. PennHip is more than OFA. PennHip can be done as early as 16 weeks and OFA must be done after 2 yrs to obtain a permanent rating.

Elbow Dysplasia
■OFA Evaluation - OR
■OVC Evaluation (prior to January 1, 2013)

If done at the same time as hips, $50-100. If done separately, $100-200. Dog must be 2 yrs to obtain certification.

Eye Examination by a boarded ACVO Ophthalmologist (evaluations annually for the dog's lifetime)
■Results registered with OFA - OR
■Results registered with CERF

$25-50 depending on vet. This is an annual test.

Congenital Cardiac Database
■OFA evaluation at 12 months or older, with exam by cardiologist

Depending on the test, this could be $50-250 depending on vet.

Brucellosis test each time the dog is bred - $50-100

I'm not a retriever person and there may be more...

If you truly want to stud your dog, people need to want to breed to your dog. What does it have to contribute to the gene pool? What kind of credentials (performance testing results/titles) does the dog have? Does the dog's conformation fall into the breed standard?

Just because the dog does all you want it to do and is the best dog you've ever had doesn't mean it is worthy of being bred.

Not trying to disuade you, just giving you info to think about.

Jay
The only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:19 pm

I'll try to dissuade you or at least encourage you to do significantly more research. Most people have a desire to breed their dogs very very few are worth breeding. I know no one who would purposely seek out a JH stud unless that stud had a stacked pedigree.
GarDuck
hunter

Postby KhrisKT » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:10 pm

GarDuck that is exactly why i asked. I would never pursue something unless I knew it could be done right and worth the time and effort. JH status not enough, Ill remember that
KhrisKT
hunter

Postby KhrisKT » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:18 pm

Thanks for the info Jay. He has no titles, sire has great pedigree. Just trying to get a feel for what all is involved if I chose to start the long process of going the route of trying to breed him.

I know there is a ton to consider and prepare for if i even wanted to think about getting into it. Dont worry though GarDuck, I wont jump into something haphazardly and I dont think it is a breeze or that I can do it because he is a good puppy for me and if i can get him just a JH title. Im not that naive. Just trying to ask a few questions and learn from some others if i can.
KhrisKT
hunter

Postby KhrisKT » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:38 pm

Jay, based on his sire's pedigree i posted in the first message, do you think it would be something worth my time to try and breed him one day? Assuming everything you mentioned earlier fell in line and worked out, like the health clearances, getting titles, improving the breed, etc.

I remember our breeder telling me about the sire's sire, supposedly a great stud golden in the hunting community (from what i heard, not claiming anything!). Would you take a look at his pedigree as well on the link below? Like i said, you would know much more than me about these things, Im a blank slate,

http://k9data.com/pedigree.asp?ID=19259
KhrisKT
hunter

Postby GarDuck » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:02 pm

Do you have the dams pedigree? I would look at the golden puppies for sale on the RTF forum to maybe help you get an idea for whats out there and what people are looking for.
GarDuck
hunter

Postby KhrisKT » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:14 pm

I think I do, let me track that down when I get the chance for you.
KhrisKT
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum