6 month old lab peeing while walking in house

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

6 month old lab peeing while walking in house

Postby Tyler Radke » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:53 pm

Our 6 month old lab pup who is potty trained and holds it all night long will sometimes pee in a trail that zigzags usually starting near the door like he just couldn't hold it and didn't know what to do. He also does it when he gets excited like when we get company and they come in the house. He has done this for a couple months. We had his urine tested for UTI but it came back negative. It wasn't his first morning pee, is it necessary that it is or will a sample taken later in the day work too? Anybody have any insight on what we might be looking at here? I really don't think he means to do it, but it happens about 2-3 times a week.
Tyler Radke
hunter

Re: 6 month old lab peeing while walking in house

Postby cn44 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:10 pm

He's a puppy and doesn't realize he does it when he gets excited.
cn44
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:49 pm

Time for some electic diapers for a few turns of the peeing process. A couple good zaps and he will wait until he clears the door. :lol3:
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby berudd » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:50 pm

cn44 wrote:He's a puppy and doesn't realize he does it when he gets excited.

+1
berudd
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:55 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Time for some electic diapers for a few turns of the peeing process. A couple good zaps and he will wait until he clears the door. :lol3:

Huh? Are ya being funny or serious? Don

Your pup is young and like cn44 said, he just ain't got it yet. My 10 month old will still do it once in a while. I try to really limit his meeting new people or getting him all excited until after he comes in from "Potty"
I will also have him meet new folks or dogs outside where I don't need to clean it up. Caution, mine will piss of your shoes.
I teach "Potty outside"
and "No potty" and use it as a verbal reminder when I think I will need it.
Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby ten lb test » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:13 pm

There is a disease called diabetes insipides, it can't be detected by blood tests, I thought my dog had it. It can be treated with very expensive meds. about $300/month. However, it can be obtained from some componding pharmacies for much less. To determine if the dog has it a vet has to watch the dog for several hours to see if the urine concentrates with out drinking additional water. I thought my dog had it & treated her for several months to no avail & testing showed she didn't. She drinks large amounts of water & cannot control her bladder. If she is very active during the day, especialy when hunting there is no problem, however on days like today when its below zero it becomes a problem. She is definitly house broken but the frustrating thing is I have to go outside with her to make sure she goes. This take three trips in the evening. This is a very hyper 5 yr. old & my seventh hunting dog over the last 40 yrs. You are probably right that your dog can't control her bladder and though it is frustrating you really can't get upset with the dog. Hope this helps, Pete
ten lb test
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:21 pm

I've seen that. Usually it's due to excitement. As soon as you see it start, make him sit, if he keeps peeing while sitting, kick him out of the house for a bit. My 3 year old lab still pees when certain people come over.

He should outgrow it.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby Tyler Radke » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:13 am

I know he doesn't mean to do it. It is never a puddle. The other night my wife said he was sitting next to the chair by her and he got up and walked off. When she looked he had left a trail and had even dribbled a little while he was sitting there. The vet told us it could be something wrong inside him that would require very expensive scoping of his bladder and surgery along with possibly having to be neutered. I really hope its not anything like this so I came looking for reassurance and guidance from people who have had similar problems and hoping someone has a simpler solution/reason for the problem.
Tyler Radke
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:33 pm

Yea, if he's peeing for no reason.. i.e. in his bed, while sleeping, etc.. I'd wonder.

But otherwise I'd wait and see.

good luck,

Mugz
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:05 pm

Duckdon wrote:
ScaupHunter wrote:Time for some electic diapers for a few turns of the peeing process. A couple good zaps and he will wait until he clears the door. :lol3:

Your pup is young and like cn44 said, he just ain't got it yet. My 10 month old will still do it once in a while. I try to really limit his meeting new people or getting him all excited until after he comes in from "Potty"
I will also have him meet new folks or dogs outside where I don't need to clean it up. Caution, mine will piss of your shoes.
I teach "Potty outside"
Don

I was joking. Sorry, I thought it was obvious.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Labs » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:17 pm

You leaving water down for him at all times in the house? At 6 months old, I was still controlling the water intake and feedings...that way they were going on a schedule....how long are you leaving him in the house at one shot before letting him out? 6 months is still pretty young to go all day....
"Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless" - Kenny Powers
Labs
hunter

Postby gomezmk » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:32 pm

My vet recommended a pill called proin for about a month and she has not pee on my couch while napping since then. I had the same issue similar to yours.
Attachments
jack2.JPG
gomezmk
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:23 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:
Duckdon wrote:

I teach "Potty outside"
Don

I was joking. Sorry, I thought it was obvious.

Scaup, I thought so but with all the e-collar force for this and that I figured I better ask. Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby berudd » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:33 pm

At 6mos I think your first assumption should be that the dog just can't hold it all the time yet. I think that is much more likely than an uncommon medical condition. I asked my vet about it too and she said to pull water up at about 6PM and just look at her urine in the morning. It had turned yellow so all clear. We just had to limit her water more because she would drink massive amounts. Over time it got less and less and an in a few months it didn't happen anymore.
berudd
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum