Force Fetch Help

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Force Fetch Help

Postby Morphsuit » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:08 pm

As some of you know my 1 year old lab just got back form the trainer. He went through a month of FF. He's on the table with the collar right now. As I was watching my trainer the last day he was there I noticed my dog locking up when he'd say fetch, and he'd have to say multiple times sometimes to get him to reach for it. My trainer didn't say anything about it. I had my first session with him yesterday and he did great. Today he was locking up on me or going really slow. I have my collar on 2 and I tried to up it to 3 and it just made it worse. I did just give up on the session I ended on him reaching for it a couple of times.

My question for you guys is:

Should I keep using the collar or go back to ear pinch, or try and use both? How should I go about progressing or fixing this.

I'd appreciate some help.

Thanks!
Morphsuit
hunter

Re: Force Fetch Help

Postby Morphsuit » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:09 pm

Quick update: We did our second session today and I tightened his collar a little bit and left it on 2. We were outside on my tailgate, which is a different spot then what we were using. He seemed to do great. Every single time I put the bumper on the tailgate all the way across from him and said FETCH he would pick it up no problem. Then I was holding it up at his chest level across from him saying FETCH and sometimes he would reach and get it and sometimes he would reach towards it and act like he didn't see it then I'd have to put it in front of him and he'd get it. He didn't lock up any at all. I can usually only nick him like once or twice because he gets the bumper so quick.

So, should I keep doing what I'm doing?
Morphsuit
hunter

Re: Force Fetch Help

Postby GarDuck » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Personally I don't believe the dog is finished with FF and should go back to the trainer or you should have the trainer work with you. Sounds like your dog completely understand the command and how to turn off the pressure. However he either hasn't figured out that fetch always comes with pressure or hes testing you. If I had a dog at this point I would probably experiment with indirect pressure.
GarDuck
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum