Retrieving help needed

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Retrieving help needed

Postby chrisss » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:26 pm

I have a 3 months dd and have been playing fetch with him every 2 to 3days about 3 retrieves at most. The problem I had at first was that my dog would go grab the bumper and not come to me so I fixed it by walking away. Now he will run to the bumper and nibble aon it then just runs back to me without grabing the bumper. Is it the cold weather? And how can I fix this?
chrisss
hunter

Re: Retrieving help needed

Postby click » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:38 pm

While I am no expert, i would not read into it to much. The dog is still very young. With that in mind, maybe try to make it more fun him. At that age i feel it should still be about fun. I'm sure someone here with more experiance will chime in. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Matt,
Proudly Owned By A CBR Wildwood's Slow Poke Blue Wing Timber
2014-2015 Season Recovery 100%
Days Hunted 20
2013-2014 Season Recovery 89.5%
Days Hunted 42
click
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:56 am

Get a good DVD with book combo retriever training program. Study it. It will be a big help.
Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby MoBrad » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:15 am

I dont want to be too much of a cheerleader, I know I mentioned him in another forum, but Bill Hillman is a very good trainer and his training series are great. One thing I know several trainers recommend is start in a hallway or other narrow enclosed space, so that they have no choice but to bring it back to you, then you praise the heck out of them, and get them to want more. But as always, keep it short, and keep it fun!
MoBrad
hunter

Postby berudd » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:27 am

Is it a hard plastic bumper or a soft canvas one? I see a lot of recommendations to not use hard bumpers until all of the adult teeth have come in. If they dog has loose teeth the hard bumper may cause discomfort and discourage them from picking it up.
berudd
hunter

Postby olclamman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:13 am

once again you are dealing with a baby get with a group get some dvds fowl dogs Hillmans a good book is
the 10 minute retriever what area are you located
retired less money more wife
olclamman
hunter

Postby UK Springer » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:53 pm

Start the foundation basic ob.Here is very important right now.Get it rock solid.
UK Springer
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum