Good day of hunting…until we got home!

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Good day of hunting…until we got home!

Postby hockeynut » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:09 pm

Went out Tuesday hunting with some buddies and got 25 ducks in the morning and 30 quail in the afternoon. It was a day for the ages! It was also a great day for my 1.5 BLF who was a retrieving machine getting all 55 birds! Then I got home and did my usual inspection of the pup – then bad news! Her hind right paw had doubled in size within an hour of getting home and she was in serious pain. Called the vet right away and made an apt for first thing the next morning. Threw her in the bath with some Epsom salt for a bit and monitored throughout the night. Didn’t sleep a bit I was so worried. Long story short – she has a broken weight bearing toe and on top of that she must have stepped on a nail or something because she has a puncture hole going through the entire paw pad that had the broken toe, which was infected. It's truly amazing what these dogs will do for us and getting those birds. Just a friendly reminder that conducting those inspections of our animals after the hunt is so crucial. Be safe!
hockeynut
hunter

Re: Good day of hunting…until we got home!

Postby odleo » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:36 pm

Sorry to hear of your dogs injury. How long before you will be able to take her back out to the blind.
odleo
Newb

Postby hockeynut » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:03 pm

Vet said 4-6 weeks depending on her progress. Our season ends feb. 28 so I am optimistic we can get out there a few more times.
hockeynut
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:00 pm

That 'lil gal will be just fine! She's fortunate to have a master that's observant and responsible like you.. :thumbsup:

An eager, birdy dawg can manage to keep an injury a "secret" unless one does take the time after a busy long day of retrieving to have a look see.

Good on 'ya.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Minneguy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:32 pm

Swampbilly ain't that the truth! My old lab one time had cuts under both arm pits, and a cut on her pad and we had no idea until we finished the goose hunt 5 hours later and went to load her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minneguy
hunter

Postby hockeynut » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:06 pm

Thanks for the shout out! She is doing much better but still has a solid limp. Those “secret” injuries are gut wrenches once you find them at the end of the day. This is her second major “secret” injury. At 8 months old and she ran through a bundle of barb wire for a chuckar and got 38 stiches running her entire belly. Her “birdyness” has got her into some trouble. Glad I invested in pet insurance as a result. Its money well spent!
hockeynut
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum