Pudelpointer...anyone?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Pudelpointer...anyone?

Postby Indafire » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:25 pm

Is there anyone out there who has info on this breed? I can't find much online.
I refuse to engage the unarmed in a battle of wits.
Indafire
hunter

Re: Pudelpointer...anyone?

Postby Griffdom » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:58 pm

Check out Cedarwoods Pudelpointer's website. Bob Farris is the leading pudelpointer guy in the states. I will get back with more information later. Got to get back to work. By the way, I am on the list for one coming this March.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:22 pm

Not sure what questions you have. I'm no expert on the breed, but I've done a good bit of research and talked with a lot of people. The breed is not AKC recognized and those in control of the breed want to keep it that way. Most in the US are NAVHDA registered. The breed leads the way as the highest scoring breed in the Natural Ability test per capita and has for decades. NAPPA (North American Pudelpointer Alliance) is the main group in the states in control of the breed. Breeders within this group only allow males who have past the Utility test in NAVHDA and females must at least score a 105 out of 112 in the Natural Ability test to be bred. All breeding stock must also pass certain health clearances before being bred. The ones I've seen can run well in the field (some have scored 1st placements in NASTRA field trial events against Pointers and GSP's) and hit the water as hard as any dogs for waterfowl retrieves. They also are said to be good trackers of big and small game. In Germany, in fact, they must be loud on track to be bred now. That means they must give voice when on a hot rabbit track, such as a beagle would. The us breeders don't nessecarily breed for this trait, but they occasionally use European stock so this trait may pop up from time to time. Very versatile dogs. Looking forward to mine.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby wbower » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:03 am

Got a buddy that owns one. We hunt together frequently. His is 10 years old and still has the energy in an upland environment to go all day. The dog has tons of drive but does not tolerate the cold weather in a duck blind. As the above folks stated, this dog was ran in a NAVHDA program for the 1st few years of its training.
wbower
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:29 am

wbower wrote:Got a buddy that owns one. We hunt together frequently. His is 10 years old and still has the energy in an upland environment to go all day. The dog has tons of drive but does not tolerate the cold weather in a duck blind. As the above folks stated, this dog was ran in a NAVHDA program for the 1st few years of its training.

I am sure it is an individual dog thing like other breeds. I've talked to guys that have used theirs in 0 degree weather. I am getting one from a stud dog that is 72-75 lbs since I do a lot of waterfowling. The extra body mass should pay off in colder weather. Just curious, what does your buddies dog weigh?
Griffdom
hunter

Postby wbower » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:04 am

I would guess roughly 65 lbs.
wbower
hunter

Postby thinblueline2267 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:55 am

There is quite a bit of info on the net about these dogs, and from everything that I have seen about them they are supposed to be stud versatile dogs that will hunt whatever you want it to. Here is a link to check out from gundog magazine that references hunting with a Pudelpointer.

http://www.gundogmag.com/2010/09/23/gun ... er_200809/

If I could afford one, I would have one. LOL
thinblueline2267
Newb

Postby GID » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:25 pm

Here is an excellent start...

http://www.cedarwoodgundogs.com/
GID
Newb

Postby j.digiacomo » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:40 pm

photo.JPG

This should help. Many of these kennels were spun up off of original Cedarwoods lines. I know that was the case for my uncle. He runs Tideview Kennel out of Jacksonville, FL.
j.digiacomo
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum