Deciding on formal dog names

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Deciding on formal dog names

Postby ChaseK » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:20 pm

Hey guys I know some do it by pedigree and kennels but how do others pick out a formal name.

I've picked out the name Tripp as the call name for my 8 week old Boykin in picking up tomorrow. It's a male. Dad's name is Covey and moms is Lilly. He's from Athens and we've got to make a road trip from Savannah to pick him up so hence the Tripp part but figured I'd be formal with it and make a full name.

Any suggestions? We pick him up tomorrow. Super excited to get him!
ChaseK
hunter

Re: Deciding on formal dog names

Postby Minneguy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:08 pm

One heckofa Athens road Tripp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minneguy
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:39 am

Some breeders like / want / insist that their kennel name be included in the name that will be registered with the AKC / UKC. So that may give you a start to work in Tripp off of that.
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby crackerd » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:17 am

Boykins are a ton of fun to name - because of their color, their size, their "turf" and not least their coat.

You could always match Tripp up with something like "Once You Go Brown You'll Never Go Back" or "Touchdown Jimmy Brown Goes the Distance" - I personally have always had a football motif with Boykins thus Bear Bryant's S.C. Biscuit and Brown Dog Blitz etc.

Be imaginative and have fun at it - and if you're thinking about having your Boykin run hunt tests, where its name will show up on Entry Express and in HT catalogs, be extra imaginative at putting a formal name on it.

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby 2dogs1949 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:12 am

When I first got an AKC dog I was where you are. I was unawatre of the "tradition" of putting the breeding kennel name in the pups registered name. SO I came up with my own.

Winterhawks Maggie Scratch
Winterhawks Teddie Too
Winterhawks Bone Bandit
Winterhawks Curly Bird

Winterhawk came from an outfitter I ran into while elk hunting in Colorado.
2dogs1949
hunter

Postby don novicki » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:53 am

I found a formal name for my dog by going back through some of the great outdoor writers books, articles etc.. My guys name was Kinkade (kennel name) Gunners Dawn (an outstanding book by one of the greats: Roland Clark) Riley (call name). Just how I did it...
don novicki
hunter

Postby berudd » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:19 pm

Dakota Creek wrote:Some breeders like / want / insist that their kennel name be included in the name that will be registered with the AKC / UKC. So that may give you a start to work in Tripp off of that.

And some say you can't use it without permission.
berudd
hunter

Postby duckdogID » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:17 am

Some kennels want you to, some only will give it to approved pups. Both my males I went with hunting Names that matched there call name.

CRH's Deik Doesn't Pay Coy "DEIK"

MDA's Twelve Gauge All Choked Up "Gage"
"The meat dont fry if the lead dont fly" "God only gives us so many sunrises. I don't see any need to miss one of 'em."
:sniper:
duckdogID
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum