1 year old Golden Retriever Training

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

1 year old Golden Retriever Training

Postby Wreck_Em_Tech » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:20 pm

I have a 1 year old Golden retriever that I would like to begin waterfowl training. From the research I have done it is possible to train a dog at any age. So far my dog "Jake" knows how to sit and stay. I know he is not as obedient as he is going to need to be. Can anyone recommend steps to prepare myself and my dog for hunts? Or a dvd that I can watch to help through the training process? Also, when he fetches it is only with a tennis ball. I recently bought him a couple of dummy's. Should I start fetching with these? And if I have a fowl scent should I put some on the dummy while fetching? All answers would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Wreck_Em_Tech
hunter
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:12 pm


Re: 1 year old Golden Retriever Training

Postby dogyak » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:47 pm

Look at the sticky above for training program and pick one that's best for you and your pup . Start him just like a 8 wk old pup from the beginning and don't skipped any step . Be fair too the dog first of all , There will be plenty of frustrating times but the rewards at the end of training will be felt . A good hunting dog is bred to do many things naturally . You on the other hand , are not genetically predisposed to train a dog . Also you need to find a hunting retriever club and get into a training group , this will be the best thing for you . You will hit bumps and need someone to lead you , that's what the club is for .
dogyak
hunter
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:18 pm
Location: FL

Re: 1 year old Golden Retriever Training

Postby j.digiacomo » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:53 pm

x2 on finding a dog club. figure out what you want the dog to do for you first. begin collar conditioning if you don't have an e-collar.
User avatar
j.digiacomo
hunter
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:41 pm
Location: MD

Re: 1 year old Golden Retriever Training

Postby Wreck_Em_Tech » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:58 pm

dogyak wrote:Look at the sticky above for training program and pick one that's best for you and your pup . Start him just like a 8 wk old pup from the beginning and don't skipped any step . Be fair too the dog first of all , There will be plenty of frustrating times but the rewards at the end of training will be felt . A good hunting dog is bred to do many things naturally . You on the other hand , are not genetically predisposed to train a dog . Also you need to find a hunting retriever club and get into a training group , this will be the best thing for you . You will hit bumps and need someone to lead you , that's what the club is for .







I appreciate the tips. I'm sure I can find a club around. I will look into that. Thanks again
Wreck_Em_Tech
hunter
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: 1 year old Golden Retriever Training

Postby Wreck_Em_Tech » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:03 pm

j.digiacomo wrote:x2 on finding a dog club. figure out what you want the dog to do for you first. begin collar conditioning if you don't have an e-collar.





Yeah Im definitely going to try to find a dog club. What does the e-collar provide in training?? When I walk him on a leash he will stay on my right side. But when I left off the leash he starts to try to take off. Would the e-collar help with this?
Wreck_Em_Tech
hunter
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: 1 year old Golden Retriever Training

Postby dogyak » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:16 pm

Wreck_Em_Tech wrote:
j.digiacomo wrote:x2 on finding a dog club. figure out what you want the dog to do for you first. begin collar conditioning if you don't have an e-collar.





Yeah Im definitely going to try to find a dog club. What does the e-collar provide in training?? When I walk him on a leash he will stay on my right side. But when I left off the leash he starts to try to take off. Would the e-collar help with this?
Don't used that collar until you know how . The program you pick will take you thru it , but leave that collar alone . A many have ruin their dog because they didn't know how too used it . I would recommend Duck Dog Basic's . Start with Vol 1 ( cost around $25) . It' a easy program for the first time trainer and will show you how to used the collar , bird intro and such . Like I said , start him like he was a 8 wk old pup .
dogyak
hunter
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:18 pm
Location: FL

Re: 1 year old Golden Retriever Training

Postby j.digiacomo » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:56 pm

dogyak wrote:Don't used that collar until you know how . The program you pick will take you thru it , but leave that collar alone . A many have ruin their dog because they didn't know how too used it . I would recommend Duck Dog Basic's . Start with Vol 1 ( cost around $25) . It' a easy program for the first time trainer and will show you how to used the collar , bird intro and such . Like I said , start him like he was a 8 wk old pup .


i was assuming he'd have done some reading and would even know what 'collar conditioning' is before using it. i would not hesitate to begin working on basic obedience with an e-collar as a way to gain comfort with it before progressing into more difficult drills or running off leash. as long as the dog already knows the commands, i see no issues starting there. i usually let the pups wear them for a week or so before i turn them on.

Wreck, the first question the club guys are going to ask is what you want from the dog. it is likely that if you intend on hunting behind a dog it will need to be force fetched, built up next to gunfire, steady through wing/shot/fall, etc. all of which you will need help with.
User avatar
j.digiacomo
hunter
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:41 pm
Location: MD

Re: 1 year old Golden Retriever Training

Postby Wreck_Em_Tech » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:17 pm

dogyak wrote:
Wreck_Em_Tech wrote:
j.digiacomo wrote:x2 on finding a dog club. figure out what you want the dog to do for you first. begin collar conditioning if you don't have an e-collar.





Yeah Im definitely going to try to find a dog club. What does the e-collar provide in training?? When I walk him on a leash he will stay on my right side. But when I left off the leash he starts to try to take off. Would the e-collar help with this?
Don't used that collar until you know how . The program you pick will take you thru it , but leave that collar alone . A many have ruin their dog because they didn't know how too used it . I would recommend Duck Dog Basic's . Start with Vol 1 ( cost around $25) . It' a easy program for the first time trainer and will show you how to used the collar , bird intro and such . Like I said , start him like he was a 8 wk old pup .



Yeah I would definitely read up on it before I use it. I'm going to look into ordering the Duck Dog's Basic ASAP.
Wreck_Em_Tech
hunter
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: 1 year old Golden Retriever Training

Postby Wreck_Em_Tech » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:22 pm

j.digiacomo wrote:
dogyak wrote:Don't used that collar until you know how . The program you pick will take you thru it , but leave that collar alone . A many have ruin their dog because they didn't know how too used it . I would recommend Duck Dog Basic's . Start with Vol 1 ( cost around $25) . It' a easy program for the first time trainer and will show you how to used the collar , bird intro and such . Like I said , start him like he was a 8 wk old pup .


i was assuming he'd have done some reading and would even know what 'collar conditioning' is before using it. i would not hesitate to begin working on basic obedience with an e-collar as a way to gain comfort with it before progressing into more difficult drills or running off leash. as long as the dog already knows the commands, i see no issues starting there. i usually let the pups wear them for a week or so before i turn them on.

Wreck, the first question the club guys are going to ask is what you want from the dog. it is likely that if you intend on hunting behind a dog it will need to be force fetched, built up next to gunfire, steady through wing/shot/fall, etc. all of which you will need help with.



After I read into it I'm definitely going to try to look into an e-collar. I took Jake out to the dog park today with his new dummy. He loved it. Fetched perfectly except for heeling. I had to keep a small leash on him to get him to get on my right side and sit. He started to understand that I wanted him to sit, but he would just sit in front of me rather than to the right. And he when he didnt want to fetch he would run off and sniff around.
Wreck_Em_Tech
hunter
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: 1 year old Golden Retriever Training

Postby Wreck_Em_Tech » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:28 pm

Wreck_Em_Tech wrote:
j.digiacomo wrote:
dogyak wrote:Don't used that collar until you know how . The program you pick will take you thru it , but leave that collar alone . A many have ruin their dog because they didn't know how too used it . I would recommend Duck Dog Basic's . Start with Vol 1 ( cost around $25) . It' a easy program for the first time trainer and will show you how to used the collar , bird intro and such . Like I said , start him like he was a 8 wk old pup .


i was assuming he'd have done some reading and would even know what 'collar conditioning' is before using it. i would not hesitate to begin working on basic obedience with an e-collar as a way to gain comfort with it before progressing into more difficult drills or running off leash. as long as the dog already knows the commands, i see no issues starting there. i usually let the pups wear them for a week or so before i turn them on.

Wreck, the first question the club guys are going to ask is what you want from the dog. it is likely that if you intend on hunting behind a dog it will need to be force fetched, built up next to gunfire, steady through wing/shot/fall, etc. all of which you will need help with.



After I read into it I'm definitely going to try to look into an e-collar. I took Jake out to the dog park today with his new dummy. He loved it. Fetched perfectly except for heeling. I had to keep a small leash on him to get him to get on my right side and sit. He started to understand that I wanted him to sit, but he would just sit in front of me rather than to the right. And he when he didnt want to fetch he would run off and sniff around.



and of course I'm only going to use the e-collar when instructed to
Wreck_Em_Tech
hunter
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:12 pm

Re: 1 year old Golden Retriever Training

Postby dogyak » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:47 pm

The e-collar is a tricky thing . In the hands of a amateur it can go south very quick . Each and every command has to be condition to that collar . Example , first teach the dog on lead to sit - transition to heeing stick ( command sit while pulling up on lead and giving a tap to rear always giving praise ) , then when the dog is doing this without a hitch you transition to the e-collar ( command sit while tapping the rear and giving the juice at the same time , this is very important . The timing has to be right ) . Once this is done without fail , then you move too here or heel with the same process . As you can see , you just can't start giving the juice forever thing right off the bat or you will confused the dog and it will shut down . Also you have too learn if the dog is soft or etc . So please stay away from the collar until you have someone that's been around the block a few times that can help you . OB is the foundation of all retriever training , if it's solid , your dog will you well .
dogyak
hunter
 
Posts: 1082
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:18 pm
Location: FL

Re: 1 year old Golden Retriever Training

Postby Maxgold » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:14 pm

Has your golden been around birds? Is he birdy? Did his parents hunt? Were they "birdy"?

I'd introduce him to birds asap. No discipline nothing negative. If he doesn't want to pick it up or isn't sure that's perfectly fine - no expectations, very positive. If he gets excited/ goes crazy for it, then game is on!!!

And no - ecollar!!! you're not ready for that.
Maxgold
hunter
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:39 pm

Re: 1 year old Golden Retriever Training

Postby Wreck_Em_Tech » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:39 am

Maxgold wrote:Has your golden been around birds? Is he birdy? Did his parents hunt? Were they "birdy"?

I'd introduce him to birds asap. No discipline nothing negative. If he doesn't want to pick it up or isn't sure that's perfectly fine - no expectations, very positive. If he gets excited/ goes crazy for it, then game is on!!!

And no - ecollar!!! you're not ready for that.







He has never been around birds except for the usually walk and when he's outside. I can tell he is interested in the birds though. He just stares with no movement and watches them til they fly away. I will introduce him to birds though ASAP. I do not have access to any right now but I will make sure to get him around them soon. He was rescued so I do not know much about his parents except that mom was lab and dad was golden.
Wreck_Em_Tech
hunter
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:12 pm


Return to Hunting Dog Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: indy28 and 21 guests