Force Fetch question

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Force Fetch question

Postby CrackerJackShot » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:45 pm

Hey guys, so this isn't a question directly about Force fetch. The question is can you still play retrieving with a dog during the time frame that they are being force trained? I have a 9 month lab that I feel is ready to begin force training but am worried about her energy not being depleted day in and day out from running up and down getting dummies. I've been trying to buy a 4 wheeler to get the cardio going but haven't been able to find one yet. So is it completely wrong to retrieve at all during force fetch time frame?
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Re: Force Fetch question

Postby Duckdon » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:28 pm

I would assume your following a program on Force Fetch. What does your program say on the subject?

I FF my dogs and I do not throw bumpers for retrieve during the FF process until the very end of the entire process and that is to proof my training. Plenty of other things you can do with your dog other than toss bumpers. Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:51 pm

Every dog is different, but generally...no, I do not throw marks during the FF process.
Last edited by CatSquirrel on Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:54 pm

i'll throw marks IF the dog will go willingly for them. As soon as the dog balks, all retrieving stops until ff is over.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby CrackerJackShot » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:18 pm

The program doesn't really specify whether you can or cannot. What do you mean willingly? The dog hasn't given up on a single mark since she was like 9 weeks old haha. Thanks for the input guys. What would be great is if I could just find a 4 wheeler haha.
CrackerJackShot
hunter

Postby dogyak » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:41 pm

I don't do any fun bumpers during FF . After I'm done each time , I go on a walk with them and talk to them like I'm excited . Also let them smell and play , their tail comes up real fast and forget about what just happen . Works for me !
dogyak
hunter

Postby FFT » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:56 pm

CrackerJackShot wrote:The program doesn't really specify whether you can or cannot. What do you mean willingly? The dog hasn't given up on a single mark since she was like 9 weeks old haha. Thanks for the input guys. What would be great is if I could just find a 4 wheeler haha.

That can change in an instance if the dog conects the dots and thinks twice about making a retrieve because it anticipated a "hold" command. Hard to explain until you witness it.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Tapatalk 2
FFT
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:28 pm

Fft is right; that's why it's called force.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby Easttx » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:11 pm

FFT wrote:
CrackerJackShot wrote:The program doesn't really specify whether you can or cannot. What do you mean willingly? The dog hasn't given up on a single mark since she was like 9 weeks old haha. Thanks for the input guys. What would be great is if I could just find a 4 wheeler haha.

That can change in an instance if the dog conects the dots and thinks twice about making a retrieve because it anticipated a "hold" command. Hard to explain until you witness it.

Exactly! Happened to me this afternoon.
Easttx
hunter

Postby Rise and Shine Retrievers » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:49 am

Everything that's been said here X2.
Retrieving stops when the dog goes on the bench.
A Lab you train, a Chessie you negotiate with.
Rise and Shine Retrievers
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum