Help testing new TT collar

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Help testing new TT collar

Postby sharris » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:15 am

My cheap training collar went bad and I finally decided to upgrade and bought a tritronics field 90. The collar came in on Friday and I decided to try it out. On the level 1 setting my dog is not reacting visibly and on level 2 she is yelping loudly. I am using the momentary stimulation button and not the continuous button. I am wondering if the intensity level knob is not working correctly. Other than testing it on me, is there an objective way to test the intensity of the collar? Can a volt-ohm meter test to see what the stimulation levels are and if so how do I do it? Any other way to test the collar. I called tritronics and they didn't have any useful suggestions.
sharris
hunter

Re: Help testing new TT collar

Postby Duckdon » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:05 am

" Any other way to test the collar"
Other than putting it of the wife, I know of no better way than holding tightly in my hand and hitting the button. My guess is your dog is being a bit pf a dramma queen if set on 2. Try it on the lowest setting on yourself and increase the setting until your convinces it's working or not. Also, make sure it's in tight and the progs are the correct lenght for your dogs coat.
I would not do this if you have Pacemaker.
I don't know about the TT field models but the Pro 100 I have is a good unit.

If still in doupt, send it back to TT.
Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby sharris » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:00 pm

A buddy is bringing his volt-ohm meter by tomorrow and we are going to test the collar and then train the dogs together. He also has a TT collar and we are going to try his on my dog to see if we get the same response. On my last collar I used level 3 usually and 4 if she was acting hard headed (7 levels total), and it worked pretty well.
sharris
hunter

Postby TCFarmer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:34 pm

It could be that much difference in the settings. I have the 100 and there is a big jump from high1 to high 2.

I would also check to make sure you are getting a good connection. Use the long contact points and maybe clip some of the fluff away.
TCFarmer
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:10 am

TCFarmer wrote:...I would also check to make sure you are getting a good connection. Use the long contact points and maybe clip some of the fluff away.
And make sure that the bandannas, ribbons, bows and whatnot, aren't manipulating the signal.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby sharris » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:02 pm

copterdoc wrote:
TCFarmer wrote:...I would also check to make sure you are getting a good connection. Use the long contact points and maybe clip some of the fluff away.
And make sure that the bandannas, ribbons, bows and whatnot, aren't manipulating the signal.

Funny but true... :lol:
sharris
hunter

Postby sharris » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Got it figured out. My buddy came over and we tested the collar on both of us. Turns out the collar works fine and my dog is a vocal weenie.
sharris
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum