German longhaired pointer

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

German longhaired pointer

Postby Sir Remington » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:13 pm

has anyone had experience with German longhaired pointers before be, mostly looking for information on how they do duck hunting, not looking for information about any other breed.
Sir Remington
hunter

Re: German longhaired pointer

Postby j.digiacomo » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:47 pm

i've been in the NAVHDA world a while now and i've only seen a couple... i'd start here; at least the owners probably hunt:

German Longhaired Pointer Kennels registered w/ NAVHDA

EAGLE CREEK
ERIKSMOEN, ERIC
OR
541-523-4518
anneric@eoni.com

RUBYROSE
VORENKAMP, JANET M.
IL
847-469-8218
rubyroseglps@gmail.com

VOM CORASCHATTEN
SCHAEFER, CORTNEY M.
WI
715-457-2145
anghaars@gmail.com
j.digiacomo
hunter

Postby Minneguy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:36 pm

If I recall they are the same ancestry as the munsterlander. I believe it's similar to what happened with cockers and springers. The black and white puppies were bred to be munsterlander a and the brown and or brown and white were Glp. Very similar traits and temperament from what I hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minneguy
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:00 pm

Minneguy wrote:If I recall they are the same ancestry as the munsterlander. I believe it's similar to what happened with cockers and springers. The black and white puppies were bred to be munsterlander a and the brown and or brown and white were Glp. Very similar traits and temperament from what I hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is true as far as large munsterlander's go, but not small munsterlanders. If interested, I'd give VOM CORASCHATTEN a call. The breeder is very careful with her breeding stock and they test in both the german system and NAVHDA. They don't register dogs outside the german system though. They are known to be excellent at recovering wounded game, but also have a strong pointing instinct.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:02 pm

By the way, you will probably get more of a response over on the versatiledogs.com forum. The owner of the kennel I just recommended hangs out over there if you want to get first hand info on the breed.
Griffdom
hunter

Postby Deuce22 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:05 pm

Another recommendation for Cortney. Just passed VGP and I believe the NAVHDA invitational with an exceptionally young dog.
Deuce22
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum