Dog needs help!!

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Dog needs help!!

Postby MidMo35 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:52 pm

I have a first year dog that had been retrieving great. A couple of weeks ago we were on a hunt and we shot a pair. One bird went down dead and the other was barely swimming going no where. I sent my dog out and my buddies younger daughter stood up and shot the crippled bird when my dog was right next to the bird. Either way he came back scared as hell and caught a couple of pellets from the deflection of the water. He is rather scared to get back to it and trying about everything to get him going again. Dog loves to retrieve and is not scared at the sight of the gun but is wary to return to the water or field...

Can somebdy help me?!?!?!

-thank you
MidMo35
hunter

Re: Dog needs help!!

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:09 pm

wow....i would be pissed. sounds like a smart dog.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby MidMo35 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:13 pm

I was extremely pissed. We took pellets out of his coat but he is a smart dog. Just turned 16 months and I'm scared he maybe ruined now
MidMo35
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:23 pm

listen i am not an expert by ANY means, so wait for some more advice and possible lashings. i just have some questions. your buddy's daughter shot your dog. that has got to be pretty traumatic for your dog and you. what was the distance it was shot at? what were the injuries like? pellets under the skin? did the dog get checked out? how can you be sure there's not more pellets deeper? how did your buddy react when his daughter did this? has the dog been out since? been around any shooting since? need more info about what you have done with the dog since and how it reacted.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby dogyak » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:25 pm

I would be done retrieving birds too if someone popped me with a couple of pellets . First off , safety for the dog should be the up most important thing and I just don't fill your concern for the dog . I could be wrong , your post kind of makes me think this . For the problem , I would not hunt the dog any more this season . I would start doing fun bumpers and using birds too of course without the gun for a while . You want too get his trust again and drive and confidence back up . You just want too blank out from his memory what happen . When he's doing this with out a hitch up , I would intro the gun back in just like a puppy . Start small and be patient . Dude , really need too get a handle on being safe in the blind though .
dogyak
hunter

Postby MidMo35 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:28 pm

One of the guys with us was a vet and he checked the dog out and found no more pellets under the skin. The guy scolded his daughter pretty badly for shooting over the top of a dog like that. I've had him out since and when you jump to shoot he starts to shake and whine some and then is really hesitant to go out and retrieve. I'm looking for any help I can get to where he will return back to normal
MidMo35
hunter

Postby MidMo35 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Dog safety is huge to me and I assumed she knew. I didn't see her shoulder her firearm as after I sent him I looked away and when I did she had fired. If I would've seen her shoulder I would've tried to stop her. I'm not out to hurt my dog no means and want him to retrieve to his fullest potential
MidMo35
hunter

Postby dogyak » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:36 pm

MidMo35 wrote:One of the guys with us was a vet and he checked the dog out and found no more pellets under the skin. The guy scolded his daughter pretty badly for shooting over the top of a dog like that. I've had him out since and when you jump to shoot he starts to shake and whine some and then is really hesitant to go out and retrieve. I'm looking for any help I can get to where he will return back to normal
As I said , no more hunting so you can removed this for his memory . You lost his trust . You and the father are also just as much at fault on this as well . Yes , might have ruin him . But if you wouldn't be so concern about getting him to work the rest of the season after the bad event , you may be able too fix this . Sorry , I don't think you wanted this too happen .
dogyak
hunter

Postby MidMo35 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:38 pm

We were in layout boats hunting in water a little more than a foot deep so the dog could walk easily. The birds were about 35 yards out and the 3 of us were in a line with each other me being on outside and she on the other and shot across spread. He didn't catch shot directly but off of a deflection off the water. I couldn't really see her nor wasn't paying attention to his daughter
MidMo35
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:39 pm

i agree...shut it down for this season and get back to making it all about fun. get back to training with the dog, no guns, and lots of fun....and yeah it sounds like a safety talk needs to be in order for that kid. i would have absolutely flipped out. that is maddening.

i would have wanted an xray to show that there were no more pellets in the dog.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby MidMo35 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:41 pm

When we returned to town the vet took the dog in and checked him completely over... Little guy got lucky and I feel terrible for it happening
MidMo35
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:49 pm

im sure you do feel terrible and i do not want to bash somebody....but from here on i would make damn sure i announced 'im sending the dog do not shoot' to the people i am hunting with. especially when there are inexperienced hunters along. you gotta learn from this and you gotta really work to regain your dog's trust. that is pretty traumatic and difficult to forget.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby kwacksmacker » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:48 am

won't beat a dead horse except to say this, when I hunt with people I don't know or have young people in the blind, we go over safety with the dog. they break it, we don't hunt again.....period.
totals for 09/10 season
5 bald eagles, 3 swans, 475 hen canvassbacks, 37 pintails, 400 teal blue wings and the season hasn't even started.
kwacksmacker
hunter

Postby MidMo35 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:22 am

The guy had a dog at one time and it got too old and wouldn't work anymore. She had hunted over the dog before and I only assumed she knew something like that... My stupid mistake for assuming something tho
MidMo35
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:53 am

I would make a point of just taking the dog and hunting by yourself for the rest of your season. The dog learned that it cannot trust anyone in groups. It knows and can rebuild trust with you pretty easily. Don't put pressure on the dog just let it work and retrieve. When it comes back give it a bunch of praise and affection. For the first couple of hunts just kill one or two birds and let the dog retrieve them. Then stop the hunt and throw fun bumpers for the pup and pull up stakes and go home. Extend the next few hunts to a few more birds and so on. Make it fun and safe for the dog and it will work its way through the fear.

As mentioned, make sure your hunting buddies all know that no one is to touch a gun when the dog it out in the decoys. I always remind my regular hunting buddies of the rules at the start of every hunt. They are starting to roll their eyes from hearing it so often. I don't care what they think of it. Everyones safety, including the dogs comes first.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:04 am

One thing I wouldn't do is take the dog to the same spot for awhile until the confidence is rebuilt. Even by yourself.

Just get Fido in a different venue and hope some birds will work ya to get his mind on what he wants.

Dog doesn't know a stranger shot him so not sure distrust applies. It's a dog.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby MidMo35 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:01 pm

I've taken him out a couple times and he's been really slow and cautious to go out. The dog has the will to retrieve I know that.
MidMo35
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:52 pm

If he is retrieving for you, just take your time and let him work it out on his own. Definitely hunt alone for a while.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby MidMo35 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:20 pm

I will do that thank you very much!!
MidMo35
hunter

Postby gonehuntin' » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:47 pm

I totally disagree with shutting him down for the season. Basically, ignore what happened to him. Don't baby him or any of that crap. Go out in your boat BY YOURSELF with the dog, and throw some dead ducks for him. Make it fun. Let him break.

If he's doing great, take him and shoot some ducks for him. Again make it fun. Wade out with him to get them if it helps.

If you quit now you'll teach him that the gun is something to be feared. Work with him now and show him there's nothing to worry about and that hunting is FUN!!!
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum