Dogs first hunt

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Dogs first hunt

Postby gsimmons2 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:24 pm

I have a 1 year old lab, i havent got to spend as much time with him as i had wished b/c of sports but now that duck seasons rolled around i wanna take him out, he fecthes like crazy, has went with my younger brothers rabbit/squirrel hunting multiple times and has learned to look for game when he hears shots, and has even retrieved a few squirells and rabbits. has gotten a taste of feathers and is gun broke, he has good ob but not rock solid, and not force fetched. my ? is would it be a bad idea to take him on his first duck hunt? i plan on just going with 1-2 people and letting them shoot, so would this do more bad than good or will it give him an idea of what to do and be good for him. need any advice i can get this is my first bird dog, thanks.
gsimmons2
hunter

Re: Dogs first hunt

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:58 am

You are on the right track. First off you need to get that pup on a good training program. It takes 15 minutes a day to train a dog. Most definitely use the hunts as training tools. Work the dog and let your buddies shoot is the right path. This allows you to control the pup from day one and get him started right. Have you introduced him to a duck before? They can refuse to retrieve something new.

Bellas first goose over water was pretty funny. She looked out at that goose, looked back at me, looked at the goose again, then turned to me with a really, you want me to retrieve that Teradactyl thing for you look in her eyes. My buddies dog swam out and retrieved it instead.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Re: Dogs first hunt

Postby gsimmons2 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:18 am

Yes she has been introduced to birds. Not live but fresh killed birds. And what program would you recommend. He Is already a year old and I trained him as best as I could from reading various books but I suspect a video would be better. He lives to retrieve and his ob is good. So would I buy the advanced kind or the beginning

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]
gsimmons2
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum