Neighbors agressive dog...new pup

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Neighbors agressive dog...new pup

Postby ADF » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:06 pm

So I've finally found a good breeder in my state and my pup was born December 6th. My house and yard will be prepared for him by the time he's ready to take home but I've got one concern. My neighbors dog is a rescue and acts very aggressive when I go out into my yard, after I kneel down and talk to him he will stop snarling his teeth and is sweet dog. The dog only goes outside a couple times a day. I'm worried that my pup is going to get terrified by this dog when I'm not around and have a fear of other dogs. My neighbor is a nice guy and I plan on talking to him about it. You guys have any suggestions? I know I'm probably overthinking this so you can tell me that as well :rolleyes: I could always put up a wooden privacy fence but would rather not. Thanks.
ADF
hunter

Re: Neighbors agressive dog...new pup

Postby berudd » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:14 pm

Neighbors dog or not, I would not be leaving a pup outside alone while I am gone. I'd have him crated in the house. I assume you have a fenced in yard so the two dogs can't actually get to each other? I doubt your pup will develop a fear of other dogs, just give him opportunities to interact with well-behaved dogs. Also, have you seen the neighbors dog with other dogs. He may only be aggressive to people and fine with other dogs. Even if he's aggressive to your pup I think worst case is the pup will learn to avoid\deal with him and learn he's the bad guy and be fine with other dogs.
berudd
hunter

Postby ADF » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:39 pm

I won't leave him outside alone when he's young but if the neighbor lets his out its a matter of seconds before that dog is at the fence. Yes, there is a metal fence and the neighbor has an old beagle and they seem to get along fine. I just think this dog wants a job and protecting that 15 ft of fence is it. I plan on talking to the neighbor and maybe introduce the two dogs in a neutral area so they can get to know one another without any territorial issues. Thanks for your help, never thought about it being a human only issue.
ADF
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:48 pm

An agressive dog on one side of a fence can be a problem in more than one way. Your dog could eventually become a barker when it decides to protect your property from the agressive dog next door.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby ADF » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:10 pm

Yea, I thought of that too. I think I'm going to give my neighbor a bark collar for Christmas haha. I have one from my GSP that passed away a couple years back. Some people just don't like to see their dog get "shocked". I think my GSP got shocked two times in 11 years. The darn thing didn't have batteries for the last 5 years. All I had to do is show it to him.
ADF
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum