Train a adopted dog

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Train a adopted dog

Postby mlcole2009 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:50 pm

Any info will be helpful. We just adopted a yellow lab that is 2 years old and i really want to train him into being a duck hunting dog, the only thing is the dog is skittish of things like at first he didn't ever wanna go outside but now we have him loving going outside and doing things. He still shakes every ones in awhile like if we yell at him for doing something bad. So my main question is, do you guys think that it is worth the time to try and train him into becoming one or because of his past and what could have been done to him has made him to a point where he wouldn't be able to be trained that well? thanks guys i appreciate it.
mlcole2009
Newb

Re: Train a adopted dog

Postby gonehuntin' » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:26 am

I doubt it. You've adopted someone else's problem and you're inexperienced. That's a very bad combination.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:57 am

I'm no pro, but if you are going to keep the dog anyway, I don't see why it would hurt to try. Training a dog can be a lot of fun if you know what you are doing and flustrating if you don't. If you could find a pro in your area to give you some guidance. They could evaluate the dog and you give better answers than people on the internet can. Like gonehuntin said you got a lot working against you. It won't be easy or fast.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby berudd » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:25 pm

Would it be worth it? I'd say if you end up with a happy dog that enjoys going afield it will be extremely reward upping for you. Will it be easy? Probably not. It will require much time and patience and ignoring more than one post for a-holes on message boards. Go for it and give him a chance. Worst case scenario you end up with loyal pet.
berudd
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum