Dog took a rough ride in truck wreck

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Dog took a rough ride in truck wreck

Postby rivercountry » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:25 am

We were in a wreck a month ago, it was a 4 car wreck and my truck was a total loss. I had two of my kids with me and my dog was in the back of the trucked in the kennel. We had just finished training and had left the farm. When I stopped at the stop light waiting for the light to turn green, bam everything went blurred. When I regained my composure I realized we had been hit several times. After I made sure the kids were ok I crawled out to check on Gunner I didn’t even want to look when I saw the kennel busted and the frame pushed up through the bed. I was sick to my stomach I just knew my buddy was either dead or near death. My daughter is still in the truck screaming where is Gunner is he ok. I had just put his HR title on 5 days before that. I choked back my tears and pulled the door open on the kennel and there he was curled up in the back of the crate scared to death but not a mark on him. I put him back in what was left of the crate and crawled into one of the other vehicles to help another lady who was banged up pretty good. When the adrenaline left me I realized that I had took a good lick to the back and chin myself and then I got carted off to the hospital along with two others. Thank God my kids were ok and Gunner is back running marks and blinds and I finally convinced the doctor to let me go back to work this past Monday.
We got hit the rear end at 55 mph while we were sitting dead still and then slammed into another car that was in front of us. I felt sorry for the lady that was behind me but if she hadn’t been between my truck and the other vehicle that hit us there is no telling how bad my kids would have been hurt and I am positive my dog would have been killed. That kennel was worth its weight in gold that day thankfully but, gunner will be getting a new one out of this deal and I think he earned it. So my advice to the folks that still ride their dogs loose in the back of the truck like I did for many years is, invest in a good crate or dog box and strap it down it will be money well spent.
Happy hunting and stay safe
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Re: Dog took a rough ride in truck wreck

Postby usmcduckn » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:34 am

sad post but awesome that someone was looking out for u and ur family. thanks for sharing ur story...its a healthy reminder to always be vigilant, especially when riding with our kids and hairy kids.
usmcduckn
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:11 am

Rivercountry,
Your post is an important and stark reminder of how important it is to protect fully that which we love dearly. So glad to hear that your kids and Gunner were so very blessed not to be seriously injured or worse as a result of this horrific accident.

Your message is a great ome. :thumbsup: As an aside, what kind of crate was Gunner in during the accident? Also, congrats to ye and Gunner onmthe HR title.

Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby don novicki » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:52 am

Thank God everyone is alright.......................
don novicki
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:02 am

Irishwhistler wrote:Rivercountry, what kind of crate was Gunner in during the accident?
Irishwhistler

Just a regular Pet Porter but you can bet he is getting one of the new Rough and Tough Kennel after this.
rivercountry
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:59 am

And this ^ ^ ^ is exactly why so many of us "harp" on about transporting your dog in a kennel when someone states they would rather have their buddy sitting loose in the vehicle with them! Yes it's nice to be able to give them a pet, share a donut or whatever, but what you want most of all is to keep your best friend safe.

Rivercountry, so glad everyone 2-legged and 4-legged is alright!!
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby dogyak » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:22 pm

Wow River , glad that you guy's are ok . I remember when you posted you got that HR on Gunner too . Hope nothing show's up later down the road from the wreck . You guy's have a Merry Christmas , you deserve it !
dogyak
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:04 pm

Thanks guys for the kind words. Yea I hope nothing shows up later down the road either but it does not seem to have phased him at this point. He is always ready to work and he has about 85 retrieves for the season so far 60 ducks and 25 dove. We are going to head towards the coast a couple times before season goes out to try to shoot some divers and a swan and hopefully about 20 more days of hunting around home. We are going to AR to hunt a few days during the conservation goose season in February and then it will be back to training hard everyday to make a run on his HRCH.

Happy hunting and Merry Christmas to all!!!! :thumbsup:
rivercountry
hunter

Postby Tim Terrell » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:38 pm

'Good story with a powerful message.
I'm also pleased to read a happy ending to this tale.
--Tim
Tim Terrell
hunter

Postby Minneguy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:44 pm

I am so thankful to hear it turned out ok. I never let my dog ride in the box, but I am just as fearful because he rides up front. I really want to get him a harness for his seatbelt so he won't go flying in the event of a crash. I am also really afraid of the airbags going off and hitting him so I always shut the passenger one off. I sincerely hope you have no lasting damage and am so thankful that your girls are ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minneguy
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum