Ranger has passed away. It hurts

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Ranger has passed away. It hurts

Postby Duckranger26 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:28 pm

Persistent right aortic arch ( vascular ring anomaly ) this is the heart problem my six and a half week puppy had. When we took him home he was very whiny and did not eat after 24hrs we had him on bland beef and rice and he couldn't even hold that down nor would he drink water. We took him to the breeder because i thought these symptoms were of a pump who was taken to early. Unfortunately he didn't get better and continued to regress until he was rushed to the vet again this morning. He was diagnosed with the heart problem and was told the only way to help him was an open heart surgery and that his chances were 20 percent of making it through the surgery. Soon after he passed. Even though we only had him for a few days he stole our hearts and will be missed very much. The breeder has given us their condolences and we will be picking a new pup from a different liter. Those pups are 8 weeks.
Duckranger26
hunter

Re: Ranger has passed away. It hurts

Postby usmcduckn » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:31 pm

sounds like God was looking out for ur first mistake (i.e. taking the pup home at 6 weeks). now ur new pup has been with the mama and littermates a full 8 weeks. MUCH better scenario to start training from. i'd have a vet check the new pup though before u get ur heart set on it again.
usmcduckn
hunter

Postby Duckranger26 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:38 pm

usmcduckn wrote:sounds like God was looking out for ur first mistake (i.e. taking the pup home at 6 weeks). now ur new pup has been with the mama and littermates a full 8 weeks. MUCH better scenario to start training from. i'd have a vet check the new pup though before u get ur heart set on it again.

just a bit insensitive mate
Duckranger26
hunter

Postby berudd » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:18 pm

I followed your other thread and may have been the first to respond. I feel your pain as today I also lost my best friend after 15 years together. She was a special girl and I miss her deeply. My sincerest sympathy goes out to you and here to many more years that we get to spend afeild with are next pup (mine's 18 months and a great hunter). Take comfort in giving him love and warmth while he was here.
Last edited by berudd on Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
berudd
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:19 pm

So very sorry to hear of Ranger's passing. It is never easy to lose a best friend whether they are with us for a long time or short time ... They always steal our hearts.

Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.
Last edited by Dakota Creek on Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby cn44 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:20 pm

usmcduckn wrote:sounds like God was looking out for ur first mistake (i.e. taking the pup home at 6 weeks). now ur new pup has been with the mama and littermates a full 8 weeks. MUCH better scenario to start training from. i'd have a vet check the new pup though before u get ur heart set on it again.

Him taking the pup at 6 weeks had absolutely nothing to do with the heart condition. Don't be a jackass.
cn44
hunter

Postby beastmode » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:41 pm

Sorry for your loss duck ranger. Very sad it turned out that way.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
beastmode
hunter

Postby usmcduckn » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:10 pm

i wasnt being a jackass. im saying he got off on the wrong foot with the first. now hes got a healthy one thats had more time to naturally learn. he got lucky that he found out after 3 days as opposed to years down the road. everyones looking at the glass half empty...but in all actuality its a blessing that he'll be happier for in the long run
usmcduckn
hunter

Postby Duck_Popper » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:59 am

Duckranger26 wrote:Persistent right aortic arch ( vascular ring anomaly ) this is the heart problem my six and a half week puppy had. When we took him home he was very whiny and did not eat after 24hrs we had him on bland beef and rice and he couldn't even hold that down nor would he drink water. We took him to the breeder because i thought these symptoms were of a pump who was taken to early. Unfortunately he didn't get better and continued to regress until he was rushed to the vet again this morning. He was diagnosed with the heart problem and was told the only way to help him was an open heart surgery and that his chances were 20 percent of making it through the surgery. Soon after he passed. Even though we only had him for a few days he stole our hearts and will be missed very much. The breeder has given us their condolences and we will be picking a new pup from a different liter. Those pups are 8 weeks.

So so sorry for your loss. Traumatic story with a sad ending. Put all your love into this next pup and it will help the healing process.
Duck Popper: Congrats man and guess you need to change your name to "Duck Poppa"

"I only want three things out of a shotgun. Boom,Boom,Boom!" _The Duck Commander
Duck_Popper
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:52 am

Sorry for your loss of Ranger. You've had a crazy week. Hang in there.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Duckranger26 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:48 am

Thanks everybody I appreciate the support! The new pup, Samson, is doing great.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duckranger26
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:46 am

Duckranger,
Deeply sorry for the loss of ye pup "Ranger". Forget about the most insensitive comment made by USMC, the six week weening had nothing to do with a congenital heart abnormality. i wish you the very best going forward with ye new gundog recruit. USMC, there are Drill Instructors at P I that are far more sensitive than yourself. Nuff said.

Chin Up Mate,
Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby Duckranger26 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:58 am

Irishwhistler wrote:Duckranger,
Deeply sorry for the loss of ye pup "Ranger". Forget about the most insensitive comment made by USMC, the six week weening had nothing to do with a congenital heart abnormality. i wish you the very best going forward with ye new gundog recruit. USMC, there are Drill Instructors at P I that are far more sensitive than yourself. Nuff said.

Chin Up Mate,
Irishwhistler

Thank you Irishwhistler are hearts are heavy but Samson is doing a good job at lifting our spirits!
Duckranger26
hunter

Postby Griffdom » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:02 pm

Sorry that some people are the way that they are. I suggest that they go back to their mother for another couple weeks for some extra socialization and raising. In addition, my guess is that they were only children so they did not get the proper socialization that they should have. Forgive them. It's not their fault. They are a product of their raising/environment.

Anyway, I sorry to hear about your puppy, Ranger. Glad to hear that the breeder did the right thing and replaced the pup. Good luck with your new pup!!!
Griffdom
hunter

Postby usmcduckn » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:42 pm

cute little fella. good luck training him!
usmcduckn
hunter

Postby WashingtonBoomer » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:31 am

Usmc is back pedaling now lol
WashingtonBoomer
Newb

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:52 am

My condolences to all who loved Ranger and best wishes for a long run with Samson.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby usmcduckn » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:04 am

u guys seriously have nothing better to do than talk s***? u obviously took my first comment the wrong way. no i didn't want his first pup to pass. and yes im happy hes happy with his second.
usmcduckn
hunter

Postby don novicki » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:57 am

Sorry to hear of your loss. Sampson looks like a great pup. All the best......
don novicki
hunter

Postby dukhntr » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:03 pm

Sorry to hear of your lost pup. Good luck with the new guy! :thumbsup:
dukhntr
State Moderator

Return to Hunting Dog Forum