Retriving problems

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Retriving problems

Postby Snyder10 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:36 am

I have a 2 year old yellow lab. I sent I'm off to be trained and got him back. He does real good. Until I took him hunting a couple days ago and we killed 8 ducks. The birds on the bank he would retrieve. But the birds in the water he wanted nothing to do with. If I threw one he retrieved from the bank in the water he would go get it. How do I fix this problem and make him retieve them?
Snyder10
hunter

Re: Retriving problems

Postby Irishwhistler » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:17 am

Snyder10 wrote:I have a 2 year old yellow lab. I sent I'm off to be trained and got him back. He does real good. Until I took him hunting a couple days ago and we killed 8 ducks. The birds on the bank he would retrieve. But the birds in the water he wanted nothing to do with. If I threw one he retrieved from the bank in the water he would go get it. How do I fix this problem and make him retieve them?

Sounds like a few different things may have or did not happen. Was the dog doing water retrieves when he left the trainer? How long was he with that trainer and what level did he agree to train the dog to? Was the dog collar conditioned, force fetch conditioned and forced to water? Are you using an e-collar with him? Did the trainer go over handling the dog with you before he left, how to mIntain aquired skills, and have you continuously worked on both aspects?

In fact, there are a number of unanswered / open ended questions that need to be addressed to determine why your dog is failing to complete water retrieves. Those listed are all good places to start, and a call to uour trainer is in order. Also, it must be considered if there is some specific aversion to water that existed prior to sending the dog to the trainer, or one that was created after he left the trainer that was not addressed. A plan of corrective action must be formulated and followed so that refusal to water retrieves is not an option, and to create a drive in the dog to want to work water. The sooner you get on with addressing the issues without allowing the dog to continually balk at water retrieves when sent to do so, the better the chances are for a resolution for the problem.

Good luck with it.

Irishwhistler
Last edited by Irishwhistler on Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Re: Retriving problems

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:28 pm

It sounds to me like the dog was never trained on birds shot over water. If he retrieves ones thrown from the bank into the water with no issues, he may just be confused about being sent into the water for a bird he did not see thrown there. I would just walk him out to the birds in the water if the depth allows it. Then give him fetch. A few runs on that and he should get the message and start knowing to expect birds in to be in the water when shots are fired.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum