Puppy Food

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Puppy Food

Postby willidru » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:56 pm

Any recommendations for puppy foods? I plan to buy a small bag at a time until I find something the dog likes. If anyone had some recommendations of where to start that would be great.
willidru
hunter

Re: Puppy Food

Postby Dakota Creek » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:07 pm

What breed? If it is a larger breed (lab, golden, etc) whatever brand you decide to go with go for the large breed puppy formula vs the standard puppy.

Personally we use Purina ProPlan ..... Performance for the big dogs and Large Breed Puppy for the pups before they go to their new homes.
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:30 pm

Purina Pro Sport dog works for me.
Guess I never even gave it a thought: " I plan to buy a small bag at a time until I find something the dog likes" I must be lucky, my dogs have never been picky. Heck, If I really wanted something they like it would need to be "moose Poop flavored". Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby Max4Holly » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:07 pm

I use Origen large breed puppy, then move to acana after they no longer need puppy food...best food I've ever found, wins pet food of the year for the last 4 year straight
Max4Holly
hunter

Postby delaware waterfowl » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:02 pm

does anyone have experience with blue buffalo puppy food? getting a new pup soon and was gonna give this a try
delaware waterfowl
hunter

Postby chevy 07 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:55 pm

I would ask the breeder what brand of dog food do they currently have the pup on, then talk to your vet and ask for an opinion. If you make frequent dog food changes with a young pup you could end up with stomach problems. Purina pro plan works well for my dog. You can drive yourself crazy researching dog food and looking for the perfect one, tons of information and opinions on the web. The breeder and vet should be able to guide you on a quality dog food. The highest price food is not always the best, I have friends who had problems when they used Blue Buffalo.
chevy 07
hunter

Postby delaware waterfowl » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:54 am

only reason i was considering blue buffalo is it seems to have the most natural ingredients after comparing a ton of bags at the store. i havnt heard of any problems with this food yet, what kind of issues did your friend have with it?
delaware waterfowl
hunter

Postby chevy 07 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:43 pm

Loose stools, Diarrhea and vomiting. What food is the breeder using and why the change? I would encourage you to talk things over with the vet and breeder before making changes, especially with a young pup. Both can provide you valuable information and insight. IMO
chevy 07
hunter

Postby uglymug » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:57 pm

I would consider Taste of the Wild. It's a grain-free diet. My 12 week old American Water Spaniel is loving it. It has very high nutritional content.

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

I would recommend reviewing products with this site before buying. I've heard from a friend that you have to be careful with Blue Buffalo as they have frequent recalls. I don't have any evidence to back up this claim, but he he's a pretty knowledgeable guy.
uglymug
hunter

Postby ohio mike » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:02 am

The whole Dog food thing is way over thought. And as for Dogfoodadviser its probably one of the biggest pieces of B.S. on the net. Just feed a decent food and enjoy your pup.As for grain free your dog needs grain, it's not a damn cat.
Life is to short to hunt with a ugly gun.
ohio mike
hunter

Postby SC_YellowDawg » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:33 pm

Go with what the breeder has been feeding for now. Make sure when you switch it's gradual and mix the two together for a while to avoid problems.

Fed my lab the blue buffalo large breed puppy for the first 3 months I had him and had problems with loose stool almost every time and occasional vomiting. I will say that he had/has grown well, great muscle tone and beautiful coat, but can't contribute that 100% to the food since their the same or better since switching. He's on Kirkland signature (costco brand) now and haven't had any of those issues since switching.
SC_YellowDawg
hunter

Postby uglymug » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:07 pm

ohio mike wrote:The whole Dog food thing is way over thought. And as for Dogfoodadviser its probably one of the biggest pieces of B.S. on the net. Just feed a decent food and enjoy your pup.As for grain free your dog needs grain, it's not a damn cat.

Totally not true. Dogs have no need for grain. They're a carnivore. Look at their teeth. Multiple articles by reputable sources have confirmed this. I'm not going to claim that grain is BAD for them, but it's a useless filler. Meat is and always has been their primary form of nutrition.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/nutrition/evr_ ... r3c3vRDuBI

http://rawfed.com/myths/carbs.html
uglymug
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum