training trouble with pup***

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

training trouble with pup***

Postby DRTduckcrew » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:39 pm

I have a 11 mounth old chocloate lab and i have tought h im th ie basics ut i am having trouble with the double retrive ...he will watch both fall and when i send him he will get the first one and bring it back but when i send him on the second he will run all around it but wont pick it up ...my guess he thinks he is done after he gets the first ...anybody know how to fix this ??
DRTduckcrew
Newb

Re: training trouble with pup***

Postby cn44 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Get in short grass with big white bumpers so he can see them both. Gradually increase difficulty.
cn44
hunter

Postby DRTduckcrew » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:50 pm

He has no trouble finding both marks he just refuses to pic up the second one
DRTduckcrew
Newb

Postby Rutin » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:58 pm

Has he been FF?
Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)
Great Ballz of Fire (Maverick)
Rutin
hunter

Postby DRTduckcrew » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:47 pm

No
DRTduckcrew
Newb

Postby jmonte35 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:00 pm

Force fetch will solve your problems......there is a disconnect on what his job is. Force Fetch will cure that.

If you absolutely must not do FF than here's what I suggest....stop doing doubles without success. Start off very very very easy. Like 5 feet doubles. if he doesn't pick up the second walk him over and put it in his mouth and then walk backwards to your original spot. do it until he picks up the second reliably at 5 feet and start extending from there. DO NOT END TRAINING ON A REFUSAL. At this point any refusal will set you back. End on a positive note even if it means going over and putting it in his mouth.

Every day should get better if you're consistent and don't get frustrated. It will take time without FF.

I can't stress enough....Don't train without success. Lot's of praise as soon as that second bumper is in his mouth.
Take a kid hunting,
Jimmy
Suisun Marsh D.U. Chapter Chairman
2013 3rd annual Military Appreciation Dinner Date TBD
http://www.facebook.com/#!/SuisunMarshDU
www.suisunmarshdu.com (website down until we have next years date and info nailed down)
jmonte35
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:07 am

I echo the recommendations put forth by Jmonte35. Force fetch conditioning would likely solve your problem and create a more solidified starting point for more advanced work to come. You might also consider standing along a long straight fence, face one way with the dog and throw a short bumper of say 10-20 yards while he marks that bumper as a memory bird, turn the dog and yourself 180 degrees and toss the second go bird,mletting him mark that fall. Send him on the go bird, once he delivers to hand, send him on the memory bird and give him lots of encouragement when he nears that bumper. Hopefully he gets motivated enough to pick it up and deliver. (The fence is really optional and only important if he is not taking a straight line). If thia does not work, I would surely make a point of FF conditioning him before working any further unsuccessful doubles. train with planned success as an objective. :thumbsup: Good luck with it.

Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:03 am

DRTduckcrew wrote:No

Winter, after the duck season closes is a great time to Force Fetch. Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby DRTduckcrew » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:25 pm

Thank you i will try it!!
DRTduckcrew
Newb

Return to Hunting Dog Forum